Sign in to follow this  
Mr_LoL

16GB Vs 32GB Ram Video Comparison

Nice video, thanks for sharing. And I've went above 16 in a few scenarios but usually my ram is hovering around 14.

How can you say that 32 GB are useless? The video shows that the sim uses more RAM if it is available, and with 32 GB there are higher 0.1 and 1% lows in framerate and less stuttering overall.

It also depends on settings, from high-end and above the benefits are more evident.

5vOV7vt.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

On 8/25/2020 at 4:34 AM, snglecoil said:

16 GB performs pretty well (that all I currently have), but I do see significantly fewer long frame spikes (aka micro stutters) with 32 GB in that video. 

It's very likely that any micro-stutter you see in a video, is due to the recording software. 

Almost every single video I watched prior to purchasing this sim, had micro stutter, and that was a big concern.. though now that I own it, I can see that it was the limitations of the recording software. 

Of course, any system will experience stutter in some areas if it's not up to par.. however the very fact that I use MSFS 2020.. and I almost immediately hit that 16gb wall, tells me there is no harm in upgrading ;)

On 8/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, MrFuzzy said:

The video shows that the sim uses more RAM if it is available,

The fact that the sim uses more RAM does not prove at all that the sim needs more RAM above 16 gig. 

• Like 2

I just upgraded from 16 to 32 after the release of FS and it was money well spent... Not sure how going from a 6gb 'video card' to an 8gb card would improve things.  Now that's the conversation...🧐

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I just upgraded from 16 to 32 after the release of FS and it was money well spent... Not sure how going from a 6gb 'video card' to an 8gb card would improve things.  Now that's the conversation...🧐

Good to know 🙂

I'll most likely go to 32gb tomorrow. 

I'm actually on a gaming laptop, and was actually really surprised how well the simulator runs on it.. almost maxed out. It's just 1080p..but for the most part it's an amazing experience. I feel 32gb is a given for this sim. 

Did you find less microstutter etc?

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I found that upgrading from 16GB to 32GB RAM reduced my microstutters over cities (I never really had any over small towns or rural areas).

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

I fly with 64GB, so maybe I'm even more doubly good?  😉

I've been monitoring, and I don't see using any more than 12-16gb's or RAM during my current cross country flights.  the GPU is pegged at 100% utilization (which I like), and using about 6-7GB's of VRAM.  The CPU cores are averaging around 40-55% utilization.  (I fly with custom ultra settings).

I'll be coming up on Chicago and Detroit soon (via my cross country), and I'll report back on the RAM usage then.  Over Phoenix, I think I was around 15-16gb's max.  But I'll check sooner, since that's my home area for flights.

for grins, I do have my swap/pagefile on a dedicated NVMe...  (I had a spare slot on my MB, why not I thought....)  😉

Edited by javelina
  • Like 3

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I watched the comparison video again. I even stuck my nose so close to my monitor, it's now smudged. And, yes, if you do that, you can see microstutters. 

However, there is an unhealthy, almost clinically relevant obsession amongst avsim armchair aviators about "microstutters", "framerates", "smoothness". They're constantly tweaking, fiddling and fondling with their sim, chasing the elusive snowman of flight sim nirvana. And they'll be chasing and chasing, on their way to this non-existant shangri la of performance fattening the pockets of hardware companies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I watched the comparison video again. I even stuck my nose so close to my monitor, it's now smudged. And, yes, if you do that, you can see microstutters. 

However, there is an unhealthy, almost clinically relevant obsession amongst avsim armchair aviators about "microstutters", "framerates", "smoothness". They're constantly tweaking, fiddling and fondling with their sim, chasing the elusive snowman of flight sim nirvana. And they'll be chasing and chasing, on their way to this non-existant shangri la of performance fattening the pockets of hardware companies. 

I tend to agree with you. If the visual difference between the two videos were perceptually visible and/or distracting, there would be a compelling argument for the installation of additional RAM. I find the differences between the two side-by-side videos to be *virtually* imperceptible to the point if irrelevance. Can these minor, minor differences be measured and displayed graphically? Sure. Can they be perceived visually? Barely........

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

he fact that the sim uses more RAM does not prove at all that the sim needs more RAM above 16 gig. 

It does prove overhead is taking off the CPU which is not working as hard, or as hot

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

53 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I agree with you one hundred percent, honestly. I don't even have an FPS counter visible anymore because I refuse to chase numbers. However, microstutters are quite debilitating when using TrackIR, so I usually strive to get rid of them as much as possible 🙂

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

2 hours ago, javelina said:

I fly with 64GB, so maybe I'm even more doubly good?  😉

I've been monitoring, and I don't see using any more than 12-16gb's or RAM during my current cross country flights.  the GPU is pegged at 100% utilization (which I like), and using about 6-7GB's of VRAM.  The CPU cores are averaging around 40-55% utilization.  (I fly with custom ultra settings).

I'll be coming up on Chicago and Detroit soon (via my cross country), and I'll report back on the RAM usage then.  Over Phoenix, I think I was around 15-16gb's max.  But I'll check sooner, since that's my home area for flights.

for grins, I do have my swap/pagefile on a dedicated NVMe...  (I had a spare slot on my MB, why not I thought....)  😉

Well just upgraded from 32 gb > 64 gb since ram prices are very low here local 🙂

Have seen memory usage up to 27 gb... GPU at 90-100% and CPU average between 40-50% (custom settings between high and ultra)

Edited by awf

André

I flew from Joe Foss Field to Austin Muni (MN), and used 17.5GB's RAM.  As I get closer to Chicago and Detroit (via my round the world trip), I'll report further...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I also have 64GB and my RAM usage ranges between 20GB - 23GB. I run at 4K Custom Ultra/High preset. My VRAM is maxing out over certain areas.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU