Sign in to follow this  
George Lagos

Can I turn off the wind turbulence?

To me Turbulence is nicely modeled in Xplane with Active Sky and Zibo Mod 737.

We know Xplane simulates air flowing over the surface and watching replays of a crosswind landing in Xplane is like watching a real crosswind landing.

I know MSFS was or is simulating airflow but it certainly behaves nothing like what I felt or encountered in a real aircraft, no wing dip or displacment other than along that center axis.

I hope there is a fix for it as that is like the plane is sitting on a stick.

Speaking of replay is there one in MSFS and if so maybe we could watch a crosswind landing and see how it behaves, I haven't flown enough yet with the game since weather is not working here in the US so we never seem to have wind.

Shayne

14 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

It would be nice to be able to turn it down a little bit. I don’t mind the effect especially in light aircraft. IRL it seems (to me) more a bouncing (& wing drop) feel not this longitudinal crazy yaw that we currently see. If they could turn down or off the yaw effect that would be good. 

Hopefully some smart people will tell us how or where to tone these effects down.

I don’t know how many small planes many of you have flown but what MS did here is realistic especially coming from what was present before in Flight Simulator.  The turbulence effect is realistic plain and simple especially when your flying over mountains.  It might be annoying in the sim but it’s even more pronounced when your in the real aircraft with your stomach coming up through your throat at times.  I was just flying the other day and marveled at how Asobo got this right.  I don’t want to disparage anyone but we have to be careful in dumbing down the sim to accommodate people who’ve never actually flown a real aircraft as pilot in command.  This just happened to me with the Longitude.  I thought there was a bug because all the displays went dark after getting to cruise. I reported it and later found out I didn’t have the generator switches on.

Guys I’m sorry to say they got the turbulence right as best as it can be done in a Flight Simulator at this time.  Even on a smooth day you’ll have little bumps.  Small planes are not like airliners.  We have finally gotten away from flying on rails and some want to go back just like the case to return to 2D Panels.  As said before maybe an option can be put in to turn it off for those that want more of a video game feel.  Asobo as a private pilot you did a good job.  I had to comment on this as this will be an XBox title and with enough nudging we’ll have more of a console game instead of a simulator...

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

First you guys you complain that MSFS is not a sim but a game. LOL And now you want to turn off turbulence!

Yes  I also love to fly in smooth air and not big fun of turbulence, but I have to deal with it and so is my students. Just remember when you encounter turbulence in GA drop to maneuvering speed Va, maintain positive control of the aircraft and ride it.

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

As always I can sympathize with both sides. One group wants to fly with the realism cranked, they have RW flight experience.

Then theres those who want to tweak the game, disable this, enable that, reduce this, increase that. They dont want ultra real, in the end this is for entertainment at home after all. 

All Asobo has to do is to provide a slider for Turbulence , perhaps numbered 0-5 (where 0=no turb)

This will keep both kinds of gamer happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shayne said:

We know Xplane simulates air flowing over the surface

It actually doesn't. That's not what BET does. No sim does actual air flow simulation. Nether MSFS or DCS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

38 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

All Asobo has to do is to provide a slider for Turbulence , perhaps numbered 0-5 (where 0=no turb)

There is the ability to set turbulence strength and cycle time in the wind layer configuration.

However the minimum turbulence strength seems to be forced to 50% (of wind velocity)

Maybe Asobo could relax the minimum limit for pilots with queasy stomachs 🤢

• Upvote 1

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I don’t know how many small planes many of you have flown but what MS did here is realistic especially coming from what was present before in Flight Simulator.  The turbulence effect is realistic plain and simple especially when your flying over mountains.

Hi Dillon,

It depends which "turbulence" is being discussed. Have you seen various threads about the "baked in" oscillations? This is a global and permanent effect that is extra to actual turbulence generated by terrain, winds, up drafts and down drafts. It is the reason why all the default aircraft have a degree of autopilot oscillation in pitch,yaw and roll even in stable air at 10k to 40k altitude.

As to the actual turbulence, many do not find it at all convincing and to some if feels artificial and faked. It is very difficult to create convincing turbulence but currently I don't find it any better, and sometimes worse, than the standard FSX turbulence. The problem is that if you are going to have turbulence, it needs to be very carefully fine tuned so that it is believable. I concede that some people find the current turbulence fine. Others think it looks rather unconvincing.

So it is not that turbulence shouldn't be simulated - of course it should. But you cannot turn off the baked in oscillations even if you turn the winds off. That means that on a perfectly still morning or evening, the smaller aircraft especially are moving around in a strangely algorithmic way that does not feel natural or realistic.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

The turbulence effect is realistic plain and simple especially when your flying over mountains.  It might be annoying in the sim but it’s even more pronounced when your in the real aircraft with your stomach coming up through your throat at times.

Flight simming should be fun. 

Nausea and vomiting are not fun. 🤢

21 minutes ago, robert young said:

Hi Dillon,

It depends which "turbulence" is being discussed. Have you seen various threads about the "baked in" oscillations? This is a global and permanent effect that is extra to actual turbulence generated by terrain, winds, up drafts and down drafts. It is the reason why all the default aircraft have a degree of autopilot oscillation in pitch,yaw and roll even in stable air at 10k to 40k altitude.

I often read "light chop" or "moderate chop" Pipers from jets. That "chop" are exact conciliation your are describing. Of course they not that pronounced much faster oscillations but they do exists!

My dad use to fly cargo airplanes and  told me how during one transatlantic flight they were too heavy to climb and caught  some kind of layer of jetstream that caused vigorous oscillations (flatter like) around lateral axis.  His crew have never seen anything like that before and at the point they were worried about structural integrity of their airplane (Antonov 124)). But yes I agree for smaller GA in mostly updraft and downdraft much worse by the way than in MSFS, but not as frequent .

By the way, my personal records on downdraft was once set by passing after big  thunderstorm dissipating cell. We were ferrying Piper Comanche from California to Texas and were on approach to Albuquerque airport when we caught that torrential  downdraft and lost about 2000 ft, causing ATC  alert and squawk 7700 and priority landing! Valuable lesson was learnt thought about TSRA 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, torium said:

Flight simming should be fun. 

Nausea and vomiting are not fun. 🤢

Don't eat too much before flying ! LOL

2 hours ago, robert young said:

As to the actual turbulence, many do not find it at all convincing and to some if feels artificial and faked. It is very difficult to create convincing turbulence but currently I don't find it any better, and sometimes worse, than the standard FSX turbulence. The problem is that if you are going to have turbulence, it needs to be very carefully fine tuned so that it is believable. I concede that some people find the current turbulence fine. Others think it looks rather unconvincing.

Not trying to offend but you expect a level of feel looking at a computer screen in your house?  I can’t begin to tell you how that sounds.  Second has anyone who has an issue here flown a real lite or trainer aircraft?  Knowing this Asobo can adjust to gamers and/or those who don’t want to learn what  it’s really like within reason on a desktop simulator.   As someone who’s flown real aircraft again Asobo did a great job here for simulating the quirkiness of a small aircraft in the air, especially considering what came before this sim.  Not sure what you are looking for on a computer screen but it ain’t real world flight.  I’m at a lose here for some user’s expectations but like others have said give the sim more options.  I’m just scared when we go down this fantasy road revolutionary features get cut and the dynamics is more like FSX or worse Ace Combat to appease those of us who never took off and landed a plane like the Cessna 182.  You know how the bean counters can get at MS and now they have more control over our hobby than ever before.

Edited by Dillon
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

22 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Not trying to offend but you expect a level of feel looking at a computer screen in your house?  I can’t begin to tell you how that sounds.  Second has anyone who has an issue here flown a lite or trainer aircraft?  Knowing this Asobo can adjust to gamers and/or those who don’t want to learn what  it’s really like within reason on a desktop simulator.   As someone who’s flown real aircraft again Asobo did a great job here for simulating the quirkiness of a small aircraft in the air, especially considering what came before this sim. 

For "feel" you could substitute "look". It looks wrong to me. Yes I have flown numerous small aircraft, as have many other posters who do not feel the turbulence is right. 

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well I beg to disagree. I've logged over 1500 hours in light aircraft such as Jodels, Cubs, Citabria, Falkes, and Cessnas. Yes I have experienced extreme conditions, however I feel it is exaggerated in this sim. If we could move our Garmins onto a separate monitor so that we can adjust knobs and switches with comfort I could live with it. I find adjusting these nav aids a hit and miss affair at present, especially as one can't turn off the labels.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powlcown said:

Well I beg to disagree. I've logged over 1500 hours in light aircraft such as Jodels, Cubs, Citabria, Falkes, and Cessnas. Yes I have experienced extreme conditions, however I feel it is exaggerated in this sim. If we could move our Garmins onto a separate monitor so that we can adjust knobs and switches with comfort I could live with it. I find adjusting these nav aids a hit and miss affair at present, especially as one can't turn off the labels.

I agree turning the knobs on the Garmin can be a challenge but totally disagree on the turbulence.  What your proposing is a 2D panel option versus just using your scroll wheel to zoom into the knob in the VC when you want to make a change.  Interesting how this will all shack out in another year.  Back to turbulence, it was so weak before in other sims compared to the real world.  It was refreshing to see what we have now.  What needs work is the ground handling and the sensitivity settings.  Pilot to Pilot I'll agree to disagree and move on but be careful what you wish for in a sudo XBOX title.  

Edited by Dillon

FS2020