Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

Improved stock G1000 mod (beta)

This is the next step up from the various tweaks I'd previously released allowing pilots to control G1000 brightness with hardware knobs in their cockpits, and possibly the first in a series of improvements to the stock G1000.  I figured, rather than work around the absence of software dimming in the sim, why not just add that feature to the display itself? That's what this is. Each panel is now individually dimmable from within a semi-realistic PFD configuration menu.

Since it was requested elsewhere, I also added functionality to toggle synthetic vision on and off, a feature that's in the real units that are equipped with synthetic vision but which is also missing from the sim.

If you want to see this in action, I have a brief video on YouTube.

(I had to create the config menu from scratch, and it approximates what it looks like in real life, but isn't exact, for two reasons. One, I omitted the AUTO/MANUAL switch because auto brightness makes no sense in the sim right now. Two, I don't own a G1000 or a G1000 simulator, so I had to go off a few small images and fuzzy videos from different versions of the G1000. I got it somewhat close using what I had available in the sim without taking ages to get it pixel-perfect. I think it works, but I'm open to suggestions for improvements.  Or the gift of a G1000 simulator. 😄 )

Installation is the usual, just drop it into your Community folder.  If you have my previous DA40 or DA62 tweaks installed you can remove them, this supersedes them.  Also note that this will deactivate the control of G1000 brightness via the avionics knob in the C172 G1000, but if that bothers enough folks I could release a compatibility fix for that.

Enough rambling you can get it here.  I have tested it a fair bit in a number of planes, and I'm fairly confident in it, but I'd definitely call it "beta" right now just to be safe.  Hit me up with any problems you run into or other feedback you have.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 8

Just now, hangar said:

Sounds great, thank you for this.

Have you noticed if turning off the synth vision improved frames?

I honestly don't know.  That was just a feature someone requested.  I like the synth vision, so I just tested the toggle to make sure it worked reliably, didn't do much more with it. 🙂  I'd be interested to hear folks' experiences with it though.

This is awesome, thanks. I am about to release a beta mod adding to my existing CJ4 mod that adds functions to the FMC, namely the ability to go direct to an approach or arrival waypoint and a few other enhancements to the LEGS page, thanks to the help of a friend. We were going to work on the same for the G1000 next. Maybe we can combine features? I'm getting a github repository setup for the CJ4 code, will do the same for the G1000 later this week.

Either way, great stuff, thanks for the enhancement!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

15 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

We were going to work on the same for the G1000 next. Maybe we can combine features?

I'd definitely be open to collaboration.  I'm mostly a backend guy and honestly not the world's best javascript programmer, so backup there could be useful.  😄

I have the code for this bit on github already, as part of my general fixes repo, but I could easily migrate it to its own repo if we want to work on it collaboratively and turn it into a bigger project.

• Like 4

This is all great stuff!

However..

For the C172, losing the brightness adjustment on the cockpit dimmer is actually a step backward..

Would it be awkward to release an option with the SVS on/off function, but retaining the C172 instrument dimmer?

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Would it be awkward to release an option with the SVS on/off function, but retaining the C172 instrument dimmer?

No, I definitely want to refine this so the 172 doesn't suffer.  My first goal with this was just making the planes without the knob have usable systems. 😄   There are a couple easy ways to fix the 172.  I'm going to chat with cwburnett more tomorrow and see where we want to go from here, but I think we can get the 172 fully functional soon.

• Like 4

Just did a tour around socal and the mod works really well. Thanks!

• Like 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

31 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

"Video unavailable"

Oops, typo in the link.  Fixed, thanks for letting me know.

Thats looks nice . I cant wait for the RealSimgear panels to be compatible with FS2020.

Image removed as image is no longer available.

2 hours ago, kaosfere said:

I'd definitely be open to collaboration.  I'm mostly a backend guy and honestly not the world's best javascript programmer, so backup there could be useful.  😄

I have the code for this bit on github already, as part of my general fixes repo, but I could easily migrate it to its own repo if we want to work on it collaboratively and turn it into a bigger project.

Now this right here is the kind of grassroots community collaboration I like to see.   This is how it's done! 

• Like 3

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Great!

Is this working with the TBM too?

Best

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Is this working with the TBM too?

No, the TBM uses a G3000, which I haven't tackled yet.   For that you'll still want to use the tweak I released just for that plane.