Sign in to follow this  
antic81

2 small things I’d like to see added

Hi all,

Well technically it’s one thing upgraded slightly and one thing added!

the upgrade is the strobe light effects, anyone who has done a walk around an aircraft with strobes on knows not to look directly at them! Essentially they are like camera flashes that would leave you pretty blinded. However in the sim they are very docile and barely noticeable even at night. I’ve also not noticed them lighting up clouds when we fly through them (this could be down to how weakly they emit light as I think I’ve seen the landing lights lighting up clouds?).

The other thing that appears to missing entirely is any form of contrails, it would be great to see these added in an update. What would be even better is if they behaved like real contrails, ie dependent on weather, which could influence the length of time they persist behind an aircraft etc.

Has anyone heard of either of these being added/upgraded?

Thanks!

• Like 3

Anthony Milner

I've heard the effects were to be included like contrails but I haven't seen them

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They confirmed that they are working with node based particle system.. so it is wip.

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

I also cannot understand why the strobes are so weak when the rest of the lighting in the sim is so good, like the beacons for instance.

Carenado strobes used to be really good in FSX, and even they seem really dim on the C182T.

Hopefully they will get some attention over the coming months.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

14 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I also cannot understand why the strobes are so weak when the rest of the lighting in the sim is so good, like the beacons for instance.

Carenado strobes used to be really good in FSX, and even they seem really dim on the C182T.

Hopefully they will get some attention over the coming months.

Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking! The landing lights and the beacons look great! But the strobes certainly are lacking in strength. I’m certain it’ll come in time, but it is slightly odd! 

Good to hear more particle based effects in the works, would be nice to see vapour trails etc in highly moist atmospheres! 

Still really enjoying flying around in the old steam gage 172, despite what a lot of people say, I don’t think the flight dynamics are bad at all, I’ve got a couple of hundred hours in a few different versions of the 172 and with some sensitively tweaks she certainly seems close! (Obviously looking forward to A2A getting involved shortly though!)

• Like 1

Anthony Milner

Agree.  The ambiance of the strobes is a big factor in immersion. 

• Like 1

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

This guy's mods are very good and address the lighting on these particular aircraft. In particular, the strobe effect is much better.

You might be hesitant to use mods since there's some which have affected certain aircraft after patch #2, but these, I believe, simply override the aircraft's lights values. I'm still using them without any problems.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Can anyone join?

I have a small list of things I would like to see.

1: Toggle name tags on/off. Sometimes it's good to see them just to see where your mates are. Then turn them off, they look ghastly!

2: Make it easier to be able to change aircraft. Far to much faffing atm.

3: Sort out the prop animations. They are so very old.

4: Get a mower on the airfield grass. It looks like a herb garden.

Other than those everything is brilliant (not bothered too much by GPS foibles)

Oh, +1 for the strobes

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Oh yes good point Ron, changing aircraft is painful! I figure those things will get sorted eventually though!

Yeah I stay away from the GPS so can’t really comment! I like flying the old fashioned way! 

Lets be honest though it’s a great base product to be built on, also currently I must say I’ve not had it crash on me yet!

• Like 1

Anthony Milner

6 minutes ago, antic81 said:

Lets be honest though it’s a great base product to be built on, also currently I must say I’ve not had it crash on me yet!

Without a doubt. Cast your mind back to bog standard FSX, P3Dv1-v5 and it didn't look anything until several thousand £, $ had been spent on it. 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

In every new version of FS, I hope for 'parking brake on' and 'parking brake off' commands instead of just 'cycle parking brake' and 'set parking brake'. I like to quickly know the gear and brake positions for sure before landing.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

In FSX parking brake message appears in lower left of the window.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

+ 1 on the strange prop animations.  Not the worst, but I am having to pretend not to see them!

Not being able to change the weather when loading a saved scenario is also an annoyance, and I just cannot see why they had to disable it.

• Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

How about some lights at airports - not just hand crafted as there isnt many of those - most airports look like a ghost town - hopefully thats on Their to do list

Rich Sennett