Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Intel is still the best choice for MSFS (and other games)

9 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Here's an upload from another site, let me know if it works.

Ej-D6xt1-XYAEWc8s.png

The 10900K has 10 cores while the 5800X will have 8 cores. The core counts should be similar to the Ryzen 3000 series for each tier.

It works. Thanks.

So the 5900 will still get 12 cores plus 15% more CPU power. That sounds goods.

On 3440x1440 60 Hz, my R9 3900X is running at 40-55% on the first 4 cores, then 25% on the next 2 cores, and 0-10% on the remaining 6 cores. My RTX 2080 Super is pegged at 98% though. So I don't think I'm CPU limited on my R9 3900X? I should benefit more from a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade right?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

50 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

On 3440x1440 60 Hz, my R9 3900X is running at 40-55% on the first 4 cores, then 25% on the next 2 cores, and 0-10% on the remaining 6 cores. My RTX 2080 Super is pegged at 98% though. So I don't think I'm CPU limited on my R9 3900X? I should benefit more from a GPU upgrade than a CPU upgrade right?

Yep, you are GPU-limited. At that resolution anything beyond the RTX 2080 Ti (and maybe the RTX 3070) could bring you to a CPU-limited situation though. I think it might be wise to wait and see what CPU performance improvements the DirectX 12 update will bring before deciding on a GPU upgrade (and prices could be lower then thanks to competition from AMD).

2 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Yep, you are GPU-limited. At that resolution anything beyond the RTX 2080 Ti (and maybe the RTX 3070) could bring you to a CPU-limited situation though. I think it might be wise to wait and see what CPU performance improvements the DirectX 12 update will bring before deciding on a GPU upgrade (and prices could be lower then thanks to competition from AMD).

Thanks for the answer. I've seen some promising Flight Simulator benchmarks with RTX 3080 and 3090, but I believe those were done on the 10900K. I'm not holding my breath for DX12, back in the FSX days they promised DX10 at launch. That didn't happen until years later. Since the RTX 3080 is almost impossible to get now, I think I'll wait for the RTX 3070 16 GB or the RTX 3080 20 GB variants down the road. Higher resolution should benefit from more VRAM.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

47 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I'm not holding my breath for DX12, back in the FSX days they promised DX10 at launch. That didn't happen until years later.

DirectX 10 actually came in late 2007, though it was not a very good implementation. It was more of a rush job to meet the original promise of Flight Simulator X running best on Windows Vista (which was a total failure), and there was no time to make it work correctly as the release of the Acceleration expansion pack was the deadline, and Aces were instructed to immediately move on to Flight Simulator 11 after that. DirectX 12 is more mature now, and is being worked on by a big portion of the team according to today's Q&A. It will likely be ready along with the Xbox version and probably worth the wait.

9 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Leaked benchmarks from the Ryzen 7 5800X are already in existence.

EjD6xt1XYAEWc8s?format=png&name=small

So ~15% faster than the Core i9-10900K with two less cores. We don't know its clocks though (could be either a downclocked engineering sample or an overclocked review unit).

This seems to be a very nice Cpu, and Big Navi leaks looks promising to, AMD is hot right now.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

DirectX 10 actually came in late 2007, though it was not a very good implementation. It was more of a rush job to meet the original promise of Flight Simulator X running best on Windows Vista (which was a total failure), and there was no time to make it work correctly as the release of the Acceleration expansion pack was the deadline, and Aces were instructed to immediately move on to Flight Simulator 11 after that. DirectX 12 is more mature now, and is being worked on by a big portion of the team according to today's Q&A. It will likely be ready along with the Xbox version and probably worth the wait.

That is excellent news! I did not know they were working on it actively like that. Where can I find the Q&A? On Youtube?

Edited by Republic3D
Found it!

I think once Zen 3 drops this may well change unitl Intel drops a new chip but there is no annoucement of when this will be.

Here's an alleged CPU-Z benchmark leak of the 5900X. Over the 3900X, 20% higher single-threaded and 15% higher multi-threaded performance.

AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-CPUZ.jpg

1 hour ago, CaptJAKirk said:

I think once Zen 3 drops this may well change unitl Intel drops a new chip but there is no annoucement of when this will be.

Rocket Lake (14nm, 8 cores) in H1 2021, Alder Lake (10nm, 8+8 cores) in H2 2021.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:22 PM, Colonel X said:

Scenery geometry is done by CPU. Test at the lowest resolution, then you'll see how hard you can push the CPU. Then add resolution and other GPU bound features (check link in my signature).

God no, you'd add a maximum of 5-10% performance, that's mathematical, you wouldn't notice it.

I asked about upgrading the CPU because I'm thinking about replacing the RTX 2080 ti, with 3090 

Not really decided what to do. I intended to go for some 65 inches 8k tv, but same thing, don't know if it's a good idea 

Besides, all the available VA panels 8k, have a poor native contrast 

If I'd have 20-25 fps average @8k, I'll be okay with that 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

On 9/29/2020 at 1:39 AM, Kilo60 said:

Guess you haven't flown the PMDG NGX in P3D at a big add on airport with a ton of AI traffic!

CPU 100% core one and only 70-80 GPU use...

PMDG AC alone Hammer the CPU like nothing else and I don't see MSFS being any different...

We are talking here about a modern engine, not P3D.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

We are talking here about a modern engine, not P3D.

Modern engine or not all the advanced flight calculations of a PMDG heavy aren't going to be run by the GPU...!!!

Chris Camp

22 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Modern engine or not all the advanced flight calculations of a PMDG heavy aren't going to be run by the GPU...!!!

PMDG have already confirmed that there is no appreciable performance difference when using their aircraft in the simulator, compared to the default airliners I presume.

Anyway, regarding the subject of this thread, Zen 3 will be unveiled in about 2 hours from now. Early hints suggest that there will be a significant uplift in gaming performance compared to Comet Lake, but probably not worth upgrading to if you already own a high-end Comet Lake CPU. Things could be different for CPU-bound games though.

AMD ZEN 3 Full Details.... Intel should be VERY worried...

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!