Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Intel is still the best choice for MSFS (and other games)

A really bad case for Ryzen can be seen with Microsoft’s Flight Simulator 2020. Bizarrely this brand new next-gen simulator uses DirectX 11 and for the most part heavily relies on single threaded performance. The game is expected to receive DX12 support in the near future and if true that could turn things around for CPU performance, but for now the CPU is the primary bottleneck at 1440p and below.

I found this bit very interesting. I dont own MSFS yet and plan to upgrade my ancient 12yr old PC (see my sig) over the next 4 months. I will wait to see what the Ryzen 4000 series perform like and then make the call. As of now Intel has taken the top spot on my list. 

• Upvote 1

Its exactly like in the "old" FSX and P3D times:

CPU is decisive for the FPS. The GPU only for some eye candy (Antialiasing, texture quality).

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Complete BS

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

12 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Complete BS

Agree

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

27 minutes ago, jaydor said:

Agree

Others reported the same with the 2080 Ti (and even the 5700XT) at launch.

They are just numbers guys, Intel CPUs are more expensive anyway. No need to get upset.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/microsoft-flight-simulator-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements

bH6Zqc2m3auHPMoDEQZZo5-2048-80.png

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

9 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Intel vs. AMD, AMD vs. Nvidia. Here we go again. Threads like this one usually don't end well.

We just have to accept it and move on ... 🤓

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

It's been the same for a long time. Intel leads the race for a premium price. Sometime later, AMD will come up with a comparable performing CPU for a smaller price. Since MSFS doesn't need more than 6-8 cores, AMD's big advantage of many cores for good value doesn't really work here. 

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

6 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

It's been the same for a long time. Intel leads the race for a premium price. Sometime later, AMD will come up with a comparable performing CPU for a smaller price. Since MSFS doesn't need more than 6-8 cores, AMD's big advantage of many cores for good value doesn't really work here. 

This assumes that people use their PCs exclusively for Flight Simulator.

Overall, a high core-count AMD Zen 2 (and even more so with Zen 3, probably) is pretty much a no-brainer for people building a new gaming PC in 2020.

I myself couldn't be happier with how my 3900X performs with MSFS.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Intel vs. AMD, AMD vs. Nvidia. Here we go again. Threads like this one usually don't end well.

Yep it is a bit like bringing up Celtic versus Rangers in a pub full of Scotsmen and expecting a civil conversation. Or GM versus Ford at a swap meet for that matter.

25 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

This assumes that people use their PCs exclusively for Flight Simulator.

True, however one would be hard pressed to find an application that makes use of 8+ cores. I use a Mac for work (6 core i7), and the single application that makes these 12 threads work is Cinema 4D.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

On average less than 10% difference at 1080p, less at higher resolutions. MSFS is an outlier with its ~20% difference. I'm happy with MSFS running on my Ryzen 3900X, but if I were to buy a system specifically for flight simulation, Intel still seems a better choice. This may change in early October though when AMD introduces their Zen 3 line-up, but we'll see.

It's good to see a stronger competition in the CPU market. Before Ryzen, AMD went through some dire years, but closing in on Intel to within 10-20% for single-threaded workloads and overtaking them in multi-threading was the best thing to happen to the customers. 

• Like 6

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

12 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

True, however one would be hard pressed to find an application that makes use of 8+ cores. I use a Mac for work (6 core i7), and the single application that makes these 12 threads work is Cinema 4D.

Maybe not in home use or gaming. I am in the process of ordering a new system for work with two Xeon Gold 6248R (24C/48T for 96 threads total) and 1.5 TB of Ram with the capability to add up to 4 A100 tesla and it is going to need every bit of it. We also looked at AMD (the software will not work with them), Xeon Platinums (way too pricey) and the 28 core 6258R (base speed to low) . The main concern is it will still be too slow, the clients want same day genetic analysis and given the size of the data sets it is borderline as to whether this system can achieve that.

However it is horses for courses, For flight simulation an i7 or Ryzen 3900 may well be faster than this $40,000 server I am ordering.