Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

A question to OnAir users

17 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I am on the fence to try Onair.

I am also not really interested in the airline management aspects but would rather focus on the job of a pilot. I am a little worried how much effort the management aspects will need.

Could you elaborate how you use Onair with a minimum of the management stuff?

Thanks. 

Use the thunder server...  no ai pilots  the only ai you can have is mechanics, co-pilots and cabin crew.  You fly every flight which can be auto generated..  so  basically..  log in, pick a flight, set it up on MSFS, fly it, get money. rinse repeat, buy or rent better aircraft, pass check flight to show you can fly that aircraft.. next flight etc etc 🙂  No management (pretty much) on Thunder server.

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

36 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

I am also not really interested in the airline management aspects but would rather focus on the job of a pilot. I am a little worried how much effort the management aspects will need.

Thanks. 

Absolutely. If you play on the pure multiplayer server there's 0 management. you can join a Virtual Airline if you want, and they can set up jobs for your, lease you planes (for free) etc etc. But ultimately there's no management at all. Pick a cargo route / passenger route, load it up, load the fuel and fly 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Not so. MSFS version is being worked on right now and apparently the developer already has the database connected to MSFS, which is a large part of the process. Release is currently expected before the end of the year, which we need to remember, is 12 weeks to go, so an early access MSFS version of AH could be a only few weeks away.

Oh! Glad to hear they plan to release for MSFS. Though, for me, OnAir is better and more in depth than AH (this coming from a huge AH-fan). 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

33 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

No management (pretty much) on Thunder server.

12 minutes ago, Bigbluss said:

Absolutely. If you play on the pure multiplayer server there's 0 management. you can join a Virtual Airline if you want, and they can set up jobs for your, lease you planes (for free) etc etc. But ultimately there's no management at all. Pick a cargo route / passenger route, load it up, load the fuel and fly 🙂

Great, thanks!

I will give it a try soon.

I gave this a try yesterday. The first head scratcher occurred when I went to add aircraft and it said I had to do a test flight. I fired up MSFS and clicked the track button and it said the aircraft was already added to the database. That was a bit confusing because I thought it was a test flight to make sure i was ready to fly that particular plane. I guess I need to try with another plane.

Picking a job was pretty easy but when I went into pending jobs I was expecting to be able to click somewhere on that screen to actually start the flight.  Instead I had to go to some other screen to start that pending job. The workflow seems a bit wonky imo but I guess these are day one issues for a new user.

Overall I think this will be fun once I get past a few new user issues. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

7 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Thanks. 

I fly in Thunder ONLY, as it has no AI and it's only you flying the routes. But the fact that you have 3 Worlds to try or fly in is a great option. Some people like the AI part, and some people don't, so there is an option for most people. And they are constantly updating it at this time. And respond very well to tickets and the community! Just depends on what you enjoy. And unless you get at least a 1 year subscription, the pricing can be high. But it's up to each person what price they can live with paying if they indeed do get a subscription. Also, like MSFS it new to the community, and has some growing pains.

I enjoy it in Thunder World ( No AI ) and bought a 1 year subscription. It's up to you!

• Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

4 hours ago, RobJC said:

I gave this a try yesterday. The first head scratcher occurred when I went to add aircraft and it said I had to do a test flight. I fired up MSFS and clicked the track button and it said the aircraft was already added to the database. That was a bit confusing because I thought it was a test flight to make sure i was ready to fly that particular plane. I guess I need to try with another plane.

Picking a job was pretty easy but when I went into pending jobs I was expecting to be able to click somewhere on that screen to actually start the flight.  Instead I had to go to some other screen to start that pending job. The workflow seems a bit wonky imo but I guess these are day one issues for a new user.

Overall I think this will be fun once I get past a few new user issues. 

Yeah..  it can be..  however, it does become second nature after a while...   a couple of tips...

1)  If you rent an aircraft.. make sure there is either enough fuel in it to get to somewhere useful, or the airport sells the right type of fuel.

2)  if you want anything other than a single engine piston plane, you are going to have to do a check flight to make sure you can fly it adequately.

3)  if you are not on thunder.. be careful renting as there is a minimum no of hours you have to do each day and you will get charged for the excess

4)  if you start briefly on Cumulus, there is a tutorial you can do that will help get some things sorted out for you 🙂

Graham

• Like 2

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Yea I like Thunder, it's like getting paid to fly to airports you otherwise would never go to.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

56 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Yeah..  it can be..  however, it does become second nature after a while...   a couple of tips...

1)  If you rent an aircraft.. make sure there is either enough fuel in it to get to somewhere useful, or the airport sells the right type of fuel.

2)  if you want anything other than a single engine piston plane, you are going to have to do a check flight to make sure you can fly it adequately.

3)  if you are not on thunder.. be careful renting as there is a minimum no of hours you have to do each day and you will get charged for the excess

4)  if you start briefly on Cumulus, there is a tutorial you can do that will help get some things sorted out for you 🙂

Graham

Thanks Graham! Appreciate the tips. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

12 hours ago, FPStewy said:

Yea I like Thunder, it's like getting paid to fly to airports you otherwise would never go to.

And some of the MSFS small airports you get jobs too, in most cases actually look really cool. And like he said, you would never fly to these airports unless a job in On Air you took, sent you there. One of them was Raven Run in MSFS it is surrounded by water, and is very close to the real airport pictures. Finding things like this is really interesting in On Air.

Tip: Always load the aircraft in the sim first, and use the Locate Aircraft in Sim or Use Aircraft Loaded in Sim, before Renting or Buying an aircraft! It will get you the correct aircraft, as they are removing the cheating mod's people were adding to On Air! Plus it's just less confusing as you learn!

• Like 2

Can you have more than one active company in OnAir? Like one on Cumulus and another on Thunder?

46 minutes ago, feng said:

Can you have more than one active company in OnAir? Like one on Cumulus and another on Thunder?

Yes, you can have a company in all three worlds at the same time! Most people start in Cumulus, move to Stratus, or Thunder and if they like Ai they fly in Stratus and if not they fly in Thunder. But you can fly in all 3 though if you choose too 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, in2tech said:

Tip: Always load the aircraft in the sim first, and use the Locate Aircraft in Sim or Use Aircraft Loaded in Sim, before Renting or Buying an aircraft! It will get you the correct aircraft, as they are removing the cheating mod's people were adding to On Air! Plus it's just less confusing as you learn!

also start it in a parking position, if it's on the runway turn everything off before starting the tracking. Once you get used to using the UI it's easy, I understand why the use the flow that they do.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Another tip is always go to the screen with the start tracking button before you fly in the sim. That way even if you don't press the start tracking button it'll automatically start tracking once you start moving. There's nothing worse than not going to that screen, taking off and completing your flight just to realise you haven't been tracked in OnAir and now you have to do it again as OnAir still thinks you're back at the departure airport. 

• Like 1

One thing I wish OnAir would consider on the Thunder server is allowing Sim Rate increases w/o then making you wait the amount of time they estimate it would've taken you to fly there at normal rate before you can fly again. I think they way FSE handles this works better, as they limit you to 30 hours of flight time per 48 hours. I have limited times to fly and upping the sim rate to 2x or 3x while I'm enroute is a must. Having to wait 2 hours to be able to fly again just doesn't work. 

• Like 1