Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Autopilot initiates a spiral dive

I have been experiencing this for a while... happily flying on autopilot, GPS NAV mode and without warning, the autopilot puts me into a spiral dive.

I have not seen a lot of comments about this on the forum.. is it just me?

• Like 1

Bert

23 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have been experiencing this for a while... happily flying on autopilot, GPS NAV mode and without warning, the autopilot puts me into a spiral dive.

I saw something similar. I was on AP and decided to use active pause. When i took it off spiral dive. It could be a feature. 🙂

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nope, I get it also, usually on descent to final. It makes no difference whether I use either FSUIPC7 or default controls, nor does having the latest G1000 mod either installed or not make a difference.  What I've noticed is that simultaneously, one of two things happens. Either the throttle goes to full rich or the elevator trim goes full nose down. Patch 3 made the autopilot a little more reliable, though. I can usually fly a complete flight without a glitch, as long as I avoid using settings that have previously been reported as buggy.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

It happened to me when airplane weight exceeds take off max gross weight.

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Me too, I thought it was just me.   Really struggling with these aircraft.  I know they are more modern than the old FSX/P3D aircraft so it could be something I am doing wrong but they are sure sensitive to fly. 

Luckily, never had this happen so far.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Happened to me last night in the A320, which had been operating perfectly for many flights before that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nope. Known bug for few/some/many. Since before launch. (What triggers it? Is unknown to me.)
Search for "autopilot spin", "autopilot bug"  or "suicidal autopilot" in the MSFS forums.

Edit: Can happen anytime, even without hitting active pause.

Edited by RamonB

I get this anytime I use active pause.  I've learned to never use it, otherwise when I un-pause the plane is completely out of control.  

Otherwise, I've had sudden loss of power that causes the AP to mess up.  Was the plane stable when hand flying?  I know in the Cessna 172 I'll just be climbing slowly and the stall horn will blare and the AP can't hold it (but it is the loss of speed causing the issue).  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Bert, try this.  Please turn off (via slider) airliner and general traffic densities.  Then try your complete flight.  I have stated elsewhere on these forums that there is an issue here that can be easily reproduced.  This has to do with 'ghost' manipulation of the controls/switches.  It seems that if you are within a certain radius (either in the air or on the ground) of a same or similar AI controlled type, those AI actions also effect your aircraft.  So you may be overflying an airport that has these types of planes.  I can sit in the TBM at a midsized airport, turn on the battery (this seems to activate the AI operations) and then turn it off.  If I wait about 5-15 minutes, multiple switches will suddenly start flipping on/off or changing in random order, including the AP.  Maybe I screwed something up in my install, but this is definitely a reproducible error on my set up.

That is my thought at least, would love to know if this effects others.

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

No, I have had this too.  

6 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have had it once in about three flights since the previous patch. I haven't fired up 1.9.3 yet.  But exact same behavior as you describe.

• Like 1

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

@Mike S KPDX has hit upon the commonly suggested workaround, but that workaround also eliminates AI traffic, which seems to be equivalent to giving MSFS a lobotomy. Then again, the AI Traffic is pretty bad right now, so maybe the lobotomy is justified in order to cure the patient. Just to note, there is a similar bug with the MSFS scenery library, which has showed up with FSDT's wonderful payware KEYW. Naming certain Community folder scenery files with the same name supposedly causes interactions between the two pieces of scenery that are unintended,like missing buildings and floating cars and SimObjects.

It's baffling that such simple mistakes were overlooked.

Here's a discussion of the error that was originally affecting KEYW and how to avoid it:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/texture-issues-on-some-systems.449298/#post-857834

Too many freeware developers were calling things scenery.bgl and modellib.bgl.

Edited by jabloomf1230