Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Let's figure out why some people have trouble with MSFS...

I find it very strange that some people have nothing but trouble with MSFS, yet others (like myself) have no problems at all. I thought that maybe if we listed our outcome (Working or Not Working) along with other details, we might be able to figure out what is causing some people to have so many issues, and others none at all. I am going to list some details about my setup, hardware, etc. and if everyone could add their details to this thread we might be able to develop some clues to the problems.

Outcome: Working
CPU: Intel
Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro
GPU: GTX 1070 8 GB (latest driver 456.55)
RAM: 32 GB
Drive: SSD
Resolution: 2560x1440
Internet: ~30-40 Mbps
Joystick: Saitek x52 pro
MSFS Version: Steam
Install Location: Steam App on D drive (SSD) 
Antivirus: MalwareBytes (turned off when running sim)
MSI Afterburner: Yes (Fan control only)
Process Lasso: Yes
Overclocking: CPU (Yes), GPU (No), RAM (No)

Comments: Zero issues installing MSFS. Zero issues patching MSFS. I did experience several CTDs when GPU was OC'd. Also had RAM OC'd but now only have CPU OC'd. Seems very stable. No strange behavior in MSFS. Regarding installation, my default steam drive is D but the community folder, etc. is on my C drive. Also SSD. Microsoft Defender is off. 

Note: We need BOTH outcomes to really try to sort this out. 

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 6

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I think it's a great idea, but the chances of getting everyone to research their equipment and post it, then have someone find the commonalities for each bug is quite a difficult task.

What might work is if some "inspired" pc genius was able to write an app that could grab data, both from the PC and from the MSFS config files, and then have a questionaire (yes or no) that could then parse statistics and provide data based on the answers.  It's quite a task.  

Perhaps, thats what ASOBO can do and have a program tab where you can indicate being affected by a bug and have the results go directly to them.

Just pondering out loud.

4 minutes ago, LarryD said:

I think it's a great idea, but the chances of getting everyone to research their equipment and post it, then have someone find the commonalities for each bug is quite a difficult task.

What might work is if some "inspired" pc genius was able to write an app that could grab data, both from the PC and from the MSFS config files, and then have a questionaire (yes or no) that could then parse statistics and provide data based on the answers.  It's quite a task.  

Perhaps, thats what ASOBO can do and have a program tab where you can indicate being affected by a bug and have the results go directly to them.

Just pondering out loud.

An app would make the process easier for sure, Larry. But I do think most people will know the answers to the questions above, with only one or two exceptions. We'll see!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I'm sure Asobo still has all those Alpha and Beta tester DX info's to help them spot commonalities...

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I suspect many of the folks having issues have not really sat down and optimized their systems.  Not just talking about overclocking or making sure you have enough RAM, but validating what ever OS they are using truly have no errors.  Couple that with poor network connectivity, multiple tweaks that they've long forgot about.  The list is long I'm sure.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

We can't assume that simmers have all the required knowhow to troubleshoot issues.  It can be hard if not daunting for some.  Maybe a basic checklist with detailed steps would help.

One other problem is that the sim is not totally stable IMO so troubleshooting will change over time.

Regards

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

25 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:
  • Users tweaking things they don't understand (many users wanted to get away from this process , but that hasn't really changed much).

This I suspect probably has a lot to do with it. And not just in MSFS either. Some people just can't leave stuff alone, and don't know what they are doing with drivers, clashes between stuff, etc.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Indeed, including video drivers, update BIOS, updated motherboard chipset drivers, etc. etc.  In some cases I know people that aren't even aware of their motherboard specific drivers.  Compounded when people do have an unstable OC/system and they install drivers with an unstable OC which can cause all kinds of issues. 

I think you make some very valid points about overall computer stability. My 5 year old, I7-4790K mildly overclocked, GTX 1080 (not TI) system was patiently and consistently tuned for Prepar3d max performance. No unnecessary software (have 2nd computer for all that), kept up to date with drivers, and all other best practices.

When I purchased MSFS, the sim detected my system as capable of HIGH settings running 4K. (!!). It is locked at 30 FPS via Vsync by MSFS and has not dropped from that flying all over southern California, Cordoba Argentina, Bodo Norway, and Marrakesh Morocco in all kinds of real world weather including thunderstorms/rain.

Despite the new sim feeling very incomplete, I can't complain about performance. Much of that performance, I believe, comes from having a well balanced and tuned system to begin with. 

Edited by yurei
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Probably many other possibilities that are inherent in an uncontrolled PC environment ... this is where XBOX X will resolve many of these issues

As owner of a pc business for twenty five years, I have seen instances of every piece of software failing on every OS, from DOS to Mac to Linux and every flavor of Windows on thousands of pieces of diverse hardware. 

Unless it is a bug that is known to exist in the software, buggy drivers, or previous tweaking by customer based on something they read to gain better performance, installation of rogue software, or ways to shield themselves from the prying eyes of their OS (a big one with Win 10), it is hardware. 99%

7 minutes ago, OneOfMany said:

As owner of a pc business for twenty five years, I have seen instances of every piece of software failing on every OS, from DOS to Mac to Linux and every flavor of Windows on thousands of pieces of diverse hardware. 

Unless it is a bug that is known to exist in the software, buggy drivers, or previous tweaking by customer based on something they read to gain better performance, installation of rogue software, or ways to shield themselves from the prying eyes of their OS (a big one with Win 10), it is hardware. 99%

Very possible. Could be bad RAM, for example. 

So I was experiencing a few CTD this evening. I tracked it down to a new setting I had tried in NVIDIA CP. It was Multi-Frame Sampled AA. My system did not like that setting turned on. Also started seeing some graphic anomalies.  Turned it off and life is good again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Very possible. Could be bad RAM, for example

Certainly can, many times most users never use it all, or might not be using it all to store instructions. A bad cell might just be a bad pixel represented in a picture. Not uncommon to see incorrect timings, or mismatched sticks with different internal timings, and the system running them all at the lowest latencies detected by the mobo

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea and here are my specs.

Outcome: Working
CPU: AMD 3900
Motherboard: 570 taichi
GPU: GTX 1080ti 11 GB (latest driver 456.55)
RAM: 32 GB
Drive: SSD 256gb updating today or tomorrow to 1TB
Resolution: 1080p
Internet: ~30-50 Mbps
Joystick: Saitek yoke, pedals, trim wheel and 2 x USB throttle quads
MSFS Version: Marketplace
Install Location: Drive E with Community folder on drive C 500gb SSD m2 (appdata path)
Antivirus: Avira free
Overclocking: CPU (Yes) Ryzen Master 4.4ghz all cores, GPU (No), RAM (No) 3200

Comments: Zero issues installing MSFS. Zero issues with MSFS patchs/updates Japanese scenery update not installed. One CTD using task bar VFR map ... no G1000 after update but my error ... Workingtitle G1000 0.3 not updated.  All OK after that update.

Stock installation and settings... 50FPS average (only flying in OZ)

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

One other problem is that the sim is not totally stable IMO so troubleshooting will change over time.

Not totally stable would mean that everyone would experience the same problem doing the same thing. I am not saying that exceptions can't occur when a user performs a sequence that causes the logic to fail, that's a bug. If you repeat the same sequence, it will always fail. However, if 99% of users can perform the same sequence without failure, is it a software bug? (discounting a software driver bug of course) 

If I have learned anything in programming our company POS systems, it is trivial to make something work, the hard part is programming the blocks to prevent users from doing things you don't want them to do. 

• Like 1