Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biology

Is it a good idea to get into Prepar3D now?

48 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I was not attacking him. I was pointing out the other side of the coin as I pointed out if you had read though my points.

You called his post "shameful" and characterized him as having a huge chip on his shoulder.  That wasn't a disagreement with his opinion, it was nastiness directed at him personally.   If that's how you treat people you respect and like, you might want to go read Carnegie's "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

Take a breath and dial it back a couple notches.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

57 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

You right Rob did say P3D v5 was released to soon. Rob's a great guy. If you did your homework you would know I always have a huge amount of respect for him. But you will be hard pressed to find a topic where he consistently says anything positive about MSFS. 95% its all negative and imo not balanced. imo that's out of character for him. That what I really don't understand. This topic is just one example of how he seem to come across about the sim. Read though his post history.

I was not attacking him. I was pointing out the other side of the coin as I pointed out if you had read though my points. 

@Eric, behave.

Ofc No hard feeling, we have known each other way to long. Like I said you can disagree with people you respect and like. 

No hard feeling at all Gerard. 

You spent so much time telling us what a great unbiased guy @Rob_Ainscough usually is and for some reason you think he's now posting totally out of character. Have you considered that it's not Rob suddenly completely changing as a human being but actually you being irrational about MSFS? I'm just saying because your long rants seem unhinged at this point.

I am sorry, I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into another MSFS vs P3D war.

Also, I have another question - for some reason shading & lighting on the aircraft looks really really weird, as if the aircraft is "photoshopped" to the background - lighting on the aircraft doesn't match the lighting on scenery. Additionally, shadows are not dark enough and there's no AO.

N0OtNT.png

(Ignore the landing gear, please)

b1ucEV.png

What do I do? I was really used to X-Plane's rather beautiful visuals, and this really feels like an overall downgrade. However I don't want to return to X-Plane either (for airliner flying), even after wasting more than $200 for X-Plane airliners I didn't like because of serious inaccuracies their Prepar3D counterparts didn't have.

I have like $85-90 to spend right now, what do you recommend? I would love to get PMDG 737/747 but don't have the money right now for the pay the extra money. Maybe I should get Majestic Q400 instead? Or should I just wait before getting more airliners and get scenery & utilities instead?

Thank you.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

But as suggested, add me to your ignore list if what I'm saying really upsets you ... but I think you need to figure out what really is upsetting you?  I haven't started any threads with "Here are all the things wrong with MSFS" and don't plan to either, people are clearly finding out for themselves, some don't care, some do.  I've add a few people to my ignore list that are clearly trolls, but you are NOT, you have a passion and express it, all good.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, you don’t upset me. Maybe am taking things how you don’t intend them to be. Just seems to come across that way and I don’t understand why. That’s probably my frustration.
If anything I said upset you I apologise.

We both share the passion for this hobby, like you say, all good.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I have like $85-90 to spend right now, what do you recommend? I would love to get PMDG 737/747 but don't have the money right now for the pay the extra money. Maybe I should get Majestic Q400 instead? Or should I just wait before getting more airliners and get scenery & utilities instead?

IMHO, the "top tier" of high-fidelity P3D add-on aircraft are the PMDG 737NGXu series and 747 series, the FSL Scarebus series, the Leonardo Maddog MD-8x series, and the Majestic Q400.  Of those, both the Maddog and the Q400 are in your price range.

Lots of scenery goes on sale around Black Friday, so if you're looking that way, I'd wait a month or so.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

24 minutes ago, w6kd said:

You called his post "shameful" and characterized him as having a huge chip on his shoulder.  That wasn't a disagreement with his opinion, it was nastiness directed at him personally.   If that's how you treat people you respect and like, you might want to go read Carnegie's "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

Take a breath and dial it back a couple notches.

Shameful was not directed at Rob, hence a new paragraph after it. I will leave it at that.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

You right Rob did say P3D v5 was released to soon. Rob's a great guy. If you did your homework you would know I always have a huge amount of respect for him. But you will be hard pressed to find a topic where he consistently says anything positive about MSFS. 95% its all negative and imo not balanced.

What is this mysterious "balance" you speak of?   That implies there are "sides", and I reject that totally 100% absolutely and unequivocally.  We are all in this together. 

I would even posit that Rob injects flight sim realpolitik into things, which by definition means he isn't playing favorites.  Here's why:  what is "negative" to you is no different than what he does with P3D.  He will point out problems and that is the type of person he is.

That kind of person is needed all the time, in every endeavor.  I'm paid to do that at my job.  And thanked for it.  I'm not called negative or biased, because what I do simply "is" -- it's either correct or incorrect, proper or improper, needs fixing or does not need fixing...and I unscrew the screw-ups, without consideration as to who or what I'm dealing with, since that doesn't matter -- what matters is that it gets right.  Same goes for flight sims.

Certain people are cheerleaders.  Certain people are troubleshooters.  He's the latter.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Firstly, thank you.

12 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

As Bob stated: MJC Q400, Maddog, QW 787, CRJ Professional, Aerosoft A330 in that price range ... but I'm puzzled, so you already have the FSLabs?  Doesn't get more full featured than FSLabs.

I have the FSLabs, however I also enjoy hand-flying especially with classic airliners, so I thought getting PMDG 737, Maddog or something similar would be a good idea, so I would have 2 detailed aircraft which would keep me busy for quite a long time.

However, still not sure, maybe getting a plane fully working and coupling it with some nice utilities (like AS P3D, as you've mentioned) or even scenery is a better option.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

1 hour ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I am sorry, I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into another MSFS vs P3D war.

Also, I have another question - for some reason shading & lighting on the aircraft looks really really weird, as if the aircraft is "photoshopped" to the background - lighting on the aircraft doesn't match the lighting on scenery. Additionally, shadows are not dark enough and there's no AO.

There are plenty of things "wrong" with P3D, MSFS, and XPlane if you just look hard enough.

Watching this whole discussion from a bit of a distance, I would suggest that you got the answer that you were looking for, so please stop adding fuel to this fire. 🙂 

If you have lighting issues in P3D, please start a new topic to see if anyone has any ideas.

Bert

17 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Yep. In nearly every thread you have some cultists chime in and trouble the discussion.

Well, amongst other things, in 2020 we’ve learned that a fair proportion of the so-called “simmers” are more than happy to give up complex, realistic aircraft in exchange for eye candy.

Fair enough if that makes you happy, but i have no wish to keep hearing about your new flight game on this forum!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

21 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Frankly reading though this post is shameful,

Rob with his huge chip on his shoulder putting down MSFS as hard as he can all the time. Unlike all the things he normally does, now totally basis and does not ever try to balancing what he says out. Up until MSFS coming out he always did and why he is one of the most respected people on the forum but this constant bashing and none of it this time is truly balanced.

LOWI Orbx has some floating building or flying orbs, O really do all addon airport for P3D always work perfectly with no floating builds or small bugs?, no, but no vid's of that! all addons for P3D are always perfect just like P3D v5 was out the box. Perfect. Lets not forget how long it also took for HF2 to come. It was inop before that..lets forget a!, No, lets just brush over all that and put down a sim that less that 2 months old. The best you can do is say it look good low..really!

Red sky, but lets forget or not talk about how breath-taking it is the other 98% of the time. P3D, Shall I make countless videos of clouds clipping hills/mountains. Clouds looking totally flat.... Airport standing out like sore thumbs O the list could go on for pagers. Best to go out your way to make a vid of a white orbs and a red sky like that the norm. 

Render scale over 100% is a FPS hit, really well at 4k why would anyone want to, most people who are on 4k run it at 80% not more, tell us, if you run render scale at 200% it brings even you PC to its knees, well if you want to run it at 8k well....( that's just to show what render scale does) There is no need to run MSFS not even on my 1080 do I feel a need to turn render scale up. Render scale is making the sim run at a higher screen res that you have, never a good idea. Run P3D TE at 5k and tell us how that does? No need to run render scale at 120 at 4k unless you want a FPS drop ofc. 

TE looks better, well that's also personal taste and then insight people how many TE regions there is. The world is in TE with MSFS and even you say you have to turn off shadowing, well no need to do that even on a 6 year old PC. I have toured Spain, Norway, UK and the west cost of the USA all looking nothing like I've seen before. I don't need a NASA PC and TITANS to run it.

Also MSFS LOD is getting a fix and even hopefully an upgrade next month. O and it runs fine on a 6GB 1070 6 year old PC. But lets post VRAM Screenshot that normal people could never see or go out there way to see. Also You need to point out your card has 24 GB VRAM far from the norm.

Try 1070 6GB in P3D right now and make a vid showing how far you have to dial back your setting as DX12 = VRAM CTD. But again lets gloss over all that DX12 VRAM limits stuff. Go over your cards VRAM, BANG but now lets show some outrageous setting showing MSFS can use more VRAM. P3D v5x is going to need a 3090 as much as any sim to run 4k and config  hacks/tweaks. That you cannot set though the UI.

Can you not see how "unlike" Rob this is Rob?

Gerard, set up cannot not even MSFS as he has a sim with a fantastic NG full cockpit. and always going out his way to put it down, just look at his post history and judge for yourself. Why, no idea its a shame as a guy I have respect for, for sharing his shader etc for people. Shame.

As for Joe, well Alex summed he up perfectly. " I don't have a good internet, so I hate it and want everyone else to" , it started well before MSFS even came out. Again look up post history don't take my word for it.

------

So for anyone that's new and would like to know if P3D v5 is worth buying or enjoying. Yes it is and it is the best sim for airline flying without question. FSL and PMDG. I would wait for 5.1 and then dive in if airline flying is the way you want to go. Its perfect. Just be warned you need to spend a lot of money if you want to add all the addons most people here and myself own. 

Am not going to go into MSFS because this is the P3D forum and you just get the word not allowed that cannot see beyond there noises or cannot stand change. If you want airliners = P3D v5.1 want to fly a F-18= DCS, I wont say anymore. If you want a true insight into how good P3D is and how good MSFS this is not the forum to ask and is clear to see. Also nore is the MSFS forum. Sadly. I feel for anyone who is new and want a good insight into what's "best"

What on earth did i just read? Rob, Gerard and Joe are all long-time forum members who post quality opinions that I respect.

This is the only shameful post I’ve seen in this thread.

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

What on earth did i just read? Rob, Gerard and Joe are all long-time forum members who post quality opinions that I respect.

This is the only shameful post I’ve seen in this thread.

Like in real life, the new fad is to attempt to cancel out any one who does not support their self important view on any subject. Many folks are angry and embarrassed that they invested so much time over the past year hyping what they thought was going to be the FS program to end all FS programs. It just did not happen. In a year or two things may change. We just have to wait and see. In the mean time we are going to see folks like this blowing off steam. It is not about which sim is the best. It is about what sim is best for each of us. In the mean time here in the Prepard3d Forum we can just enjoy reading the daily MSFS2020 manifesto.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Well, amongst other things, in 2020 we’ve learned that a fair proportion of the so-called “simmers” are more than happy to give up complex, realistic aircraft in exchange for eye candy.

Fair enough if that makes you happy, but i have no wish to keep hearing about your new flight game on this forum!

I don't think it's primarily the eye candy that made old time simmers switch. I think it's the fact that we finally, after many years of a whole lot of nothing, see some real innovation again. Sure, some features and details and addons will take some time. We'll get there.

Calling it "your new flight game" and showing that kind of attitude against people who prefer another sim than you is just childish. Just as expected, "the big guys" liked your post. That kind of says it all and it's likely another reason for people to move away from the P3D community that is no longer as friendly as it should be.

17 minutes ago, NickBo said:

I don't think it's primarily the eye candy that made old time simmers switch. I think it's the fact that we finally, after many years of a whole lot of nothing, see some real innovation again. Sure, some features and details and addons will take some time. We'll get there.

I do think it’s weird that you recognize the steps forward and the innovation but refuse to acknowledge the steps backwards that MSFS made compared to other sims. 

That I can’t even rely on the altimeter setting the controllers and ATIS on Vatsim gives me because MSFS has a messed up weather system isn’t a step forward compared to Active Sky.

The blurry textures at cruise altitude aren’t a step forward compared to high res orthos in XP11 or even high res land class in P3D with ORBX. 

The lack of inertia and the weird way planes swivel around their middle axis instead of moving as a whole in the wind sure isn’t a step forward in flight dynamics. 

The taxiway signage being all wrong in all airports is a step backwards especially for VATSIM flying. 

Devs not getting a proper SDK is at least a temporary step backwards and potentially even a permanent step backwards considering some devs say P3D allows you to do much more than MSFS probably ever will for third party planes. 

The LOD being what it is is a step backwards compared to both P3D and XP11. 

I totally see MSFS’ achievements and I see P3D’s flaws as well. But as a whole right now P3D is the vastly superior platform for the kind of flying I like to do which is study level airliners online. 

54 minutes ago, NickBo said:

Calling it "your new flight game" and showing that kind of attitude against people who prefer another sim than you is just childish. Just as expected, "the big guys" liked your post. That kind of says it all and it's likely another reason for people to move away from the P3D community that is no longer as friendly as it should be.

If people want to give up A2A and PMDG for a pretty-looking game/sim with dubious flight modelling and system-light aircraft, good for them.

If they’re excited, even better. 

I strongly encourage them to celebrate their newfound love of the game on the MSFS forum - a place where you will sometimes find me, when i want to talk about...MSFS.

If they don’t want to post their MSFS thoughts over there, perhaps they can blog them.

What I - and many others - can live without is thread after thread on the Prepar3d forum being derailed by the fans of a different sim.

Oz