Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Is it a good idea to get into Prepar3D now?

3 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Thank you, I am planning to get 1-2 TE regions, a few airports and FSLabs A320 as a start. I wish MSFS catched up earlier, but it looks like it will take more than 1 year.

TE regions...  why?   That is just replicating what you can get (better) in MSFS..

I would instead start with the LC products.

• Like 3

Bert

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

TE regions...  why?   That is just replicating what you can get (better) in MSFS..

I would instead start with the LC products.

It is mostly because it will be too expensive to get all Orbx Global products (Base, Buildings, TerraFlora, Trees, Vector, and regional openLC ones) to make it look as good as two TrueEarth regions for $80, which will be enough for me for months. Other than that, I really didn't like the color scheme of Orbx Global, compared to TrueEarth regions. But still not sure.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

16 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

It is mostly because it will be too expensive to get all Orbx Global products (Base, Buildings, TerraFlora, Trees, Vector, and regional openLC ones) to make it look as good as two TrueEarth regions for $80, which will be enough for me for months. Other than that, I really didn't like the color scheme of Orbx Global, compared to TrueEarth regions. But still not sure.

Look at the bundle pricing on orbxdirect.com/bundles, saves you 20 - 25%.

I would buy one TE product first to test whether you are happy with the performance while using the FSL A320.

2 hours ago, honanhal said:

For the OP: you've already bought P3D, so that's a start. My advice is to think long and hard before sinking a ton of money (and let's be clear, the temptation will be to spend a lot of money to get it into more palatable shape) into that platform that you might regret. I had some good times with FSX and P3D, but also an awful lot of frustration over the years. MSFS is a little rough right now, but it's frankly a less frustrating experience for me, even right now, than P3D ever was.

These are very valid points. The key is to be wary of spending more and more money to get incremental improvements in P3D.

With all of the add-ons I have bought or freeware that I have installed over the last 3.5 years, I'm in a place with P3D where MSFS feels like a backwards step in a number of regards, but it has taken a lot of time, effort and cash to do so.
Even then, MSFS still does better with lighting, weather, cityscapes and ortho coverage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

44 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

The goal should not be to be to make it look almost as good as MSFS.. You do not need any of the stuff you are listing here..  The thing is.. In airliners you fly distances, and TE regions are relatively small.  NA LC or Europe LC cover a continent each!

and.. take up a lot less disk space and give you better performance..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bert

TE regions make no sense really if you want to go FSL. Rather get big regions, LC, Global, UTX...whatever, and buy airports that you are flying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, honanhal said:

For the OP: you've already bought P3D, so that's a start. My advice is to think long and hard before sinking a ton of money (and let's be clear, the temptation will be to spend a lot of money to get it into more palatable shape) into that platform that you might regret. I had some good times with FSX and P3D, but also an awful lot of frustration over the years. MSFS is a little rough right now, but it's frankly a less frustrating experience for me, even right now, than P3D ever was.

I've been thinking of that for weeks and I am really in a weird situation, I simply can't decide. I won't have much time for flight simulation after around 1 year due to my double major plans and other undergraduate stuff, so I am forced to get a simulator "now". My initial plan was waiting for PMDG, which was first scheduled for Q1 2021, but now it is delayed and not expected until 2022. I wish I could use MSFS instead, but I probably don't have time. What do I do?

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

This is where you need to build a campfire, break out the pipe,have a smoke and then and only then will you see the correct path.

• Like 1

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

There appears to be no inertia and/or dampening in just about every aspect, from control input to turbulence emulation. 

I can put the TBM in a 60 degree bank at about 8000 ft 220-227 KTS flaps up with 0 elevator trim and no other yoke input (stall speed increases by 40% 80% weight so around 107 KIAS) ... it just keeps turning and turning and turning endlessly, no yoke input, no power change.  

Transition between ground friction, ground effects, and actual flight seems to be on/off rather than a gradual change.

About the inertia part, I believe most of this is not about the flight model itself, but underutilization of it by the default aircraft. For some reason many default aircraft have quite erratic table data and even engine curves placed backwards.

There were a few aerodynamic updates addressing parts where it is about the flight model itself. At worst, disabling "Modern" flight model should give the FSX/P3D flight model back.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, BiologicalNanobot said:

According to the SDK documentation, all calculations of the new flight model is "normalized" / fitted to the table data, which is the same with FSX/P3D. In other words, it seems like they run a really simplistic BET-ish model to calculate localized forces first, and then normalize the calculations to fit to the "mathematically accurate" table data.

It looks like it is mostly FSX/P3D flight model with more accuracy between data points of the table and other outside-envelope situations.

And as I've mentioned before, the "Modern" flight model is mostly FSX/P3D flight model with more accuracy in some cases, so I don't see a reason for an extreme deviation.

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

So this looks good to you?  Red Clouds and floating lights out of Orbx LOWI?

About that part - I agree. Sometimes clouds look overly red and sky colors look overly purple.

But one thing that annoys me most about MSFS is too short LOD radius and popping. Even though it is not so visible at lower altitudes, as you climb to higher altitudes orthophoto scenery quickly loses its fidelity and turns into a blurry mess, same for the buildings, even with everything at ultra. Prepar3D seems to have a similar LOD issue too, but less significant. In my case, X-Plane was the best when it comes to LOD. But still, its unmatched lighting and shading overshadows these issues, I wish lighting and weird shading on Prepar3D could be improved, same for X-Plane.

6 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

So this looks good to you?  Red Clouds and floating lights out of Orbx LOWI?

You can find something weird looking in some corner of practically any game released, well, ever. Personally, I don't see much sense in answering the question "how good does this game look?" based solely on what it looks like at its worst. That goes for P3D, too. What does it look like overall -- the good, the bad, the ugly? I could show you stuff in MSFS that looks worse than your video, mostly low-res photogrammetry near airports that looks frankly awful at ground level. But that's just one relatively small piece of the overall impression.

That being said: I'm not actually 100% convinced that the reddish clouds part of your video shows something implausible, under the right conditions, in the real world. Maybe it felt implausible to you at the time, in which case I'd agree it's not great. But I've seen some pretty unusual skies in real life. I'd say one of the greatest visual strengths of MSFS is the incredible variety of sky/cloud colors and lighting it generates, that look overwhelmingly plausible to me. But of course tastes vary.

As for the floating lights, yeah, that's clearly a data problem that should be fixed. I've never seen any floating lights like that in MSFS myself, so either I'm very lucky or that's a rare or localized problem (maybe related to Orbx LOWI?). I'd say another strength of MSFS -- compared, say, to P3D -- is that there's not very much stuff floating in midair when it shouldn't. Houses often had an unnerving habit of hovering over hills in P3D...

I don't judge MSFS's graphics solely by its sometimes melty photogrammetry any more than I judge P3D's solely by its floating houses. Taking the two sims as a whole, I stand by my judgment that MSFS is 10 years ahead visually.

James

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, honanhal said:

As for the floating lights, yeah, that's clearly a data problem that should be fixed. I've never seen any floating lights like that in MSFS myself, so either I'm very lucky or that's a rare or localized problem (maybe related to Orbx LOWI?).

Traditionally one of the main features of ORBX products has always been floating houses. Maybe they gave us some floating lights on top this time. 

@Rob

Nice vids.
Is it me or does P3D with  N E look more real than the MSFS lighting at a higher altitude ( 4000 ft + ) ?

NE%20France%20-%20Paris%20City%201.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thank you to everyone. I started with getting the FSLabs A320.

Is there any add-ons you would recommend to improve graphics and overall usability? Here's my current wishlist: PMDG 747, Active Sky P3D, Chaseplane, Realturb, Orbx Global and/or TrueEarth Washington.

Also, are there good freeware stuff (scenery, aircraft) for Prepar3D?

Just what does DLC stand for? 

Edited by rickgo

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

On 10/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

that does indeed look "cartoonish" ..

I have to pinch myself that you are comparing this platform

kaELMyS.jpg

to this

51Tjsf3.jpg

And at the same time blame MSFS for looking cartoonish. 

Rob, I will gladly fly in a cartoon then. Have absolutely No problems with that. 🤗

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |