Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

What is this "Steam" version?

My advice is keep things simple. Buy it on the Microsoft Store and if you want all the aircraft (such as the 787) and additional hand modeled airports, then choose the 'premium deluxe' version. In this way you will 'own' a copy of the simulator and not have to worry about your 'Xbox pass' expiring or any future messing around with subscriptions.

Plus the Xbox pass only gives you the basic version of the sim. It gets complicated if you want to upgrade later on. And as for Steam, well if you are not into gaming, then you are missing nothing, it's just another online store thats a bit like a club where you can have all your games in a library. It adds no value to Microsoft Flight Simulator (ignore the thing about any benefits it might have for modifying files - you will never need to. All mods that matter work the same on the Microsoft Store version).

So to summarise, based on what you described, I recommend getting the Microsoft Store version and Premium Deluxe if you want all the planes and hand modeled airports (as opposed to the lesser amount that come with the Standard or Deluxe versions).

Edited by steve310002

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The biggest advantage of the steam version is none of the files need special permission to modify or copy.

I have the MS Store version and I have absolutely no problems copying it and I didn't need any particular permissions either. I haven't tried modifying it in situ but then you're not meant to be doing that. That's what the community folder is for.

Give people power to really test their personality.

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The biggest advantage of the steam version is none of the files need special permission to modify or copy.

As far as buying premium Deluxe for the game pass version I believe you do indeed get all the aircraft WHILE YOU ARE USING GAME PASS but if you decide later to buy the standalone version instead of subbing the pass, the Premium Deluxe addons do not transfer you need to buy the addon again

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Thanks Glenn for clearing that up for me.  Whilst knowing that, may or may not have an impact on my decision, the "permissions" thing is certainly worth avoiding. I am also grateful that you corrected me with regard to the standard vs the deluxe and premium deluxe versions. I certainly misinterpreted that one, although one has to admit that that is easy given the marketing on this platform.

Cheers mate

Tony

Glen summed up nicely - for the life of me couldnt get rights to reinstall sim again - it was uninstalled properly 

Oh MS answer was to restore my computer that wasnt happening I just built it - wrong answer MS

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 1

Rich Sennett