Sign in to follow this  
SAPilot

G1000 and C172 Navigation question

Good day

Is this possible :

Take of from an airfield with no flight plan loaded in the sim.

Once airborne then do "DIRECT TO"  to another airport - say 50 miles away.

I know the MSA and climb to that altitude.

Whilst en route to destination airport can one load and and activate an approach for the destination airport ?.

I have tried with no success. Maybe I need more G1000 knowledge. I do have the latest Working Title G1000 mod installed.

Thank you

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

It absolutely should be possible. Whether you can do it in the sim or not I don’t know. But in real life, absolutely. 

24 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

Good day

Is this possible :

Take of from an airfield with no flight plan loaded in the sim.

Once airborne then do "DIRECT TO"  to another airport - say 50 miles away.

I know the MSA and climb to that altitude.

Whilst en route to destination airport can one load and and activate an approach for the destination airport ?.

I have tried with no success. Maybe I need more G1000 knowledge. I do have the latest Working Title G1000 mod installed.

Thank you

I have not had success either.  It just refuses to load the approaches of the airport you have in the D> function.  I've pretty much given up on trying to make the G1000/ any GPS work as its real world counterpart and rely on my Navigraph subscription with the charts and geo-referenced aircraft icon that basically makes it the nav part of the G1000 with me at the controls, being the autopilot portion of the system. 🙂

While the gang at Working Title have made tremendous improvements to it, I think they will eventually hit the same wall @RXP and others have at this point until MS/AS decide to do their part and finish that section of the SDK and/or incorporate the code within the sim to let Working Title gurus go on an Easter egg hunt to find and conquer. 😉

To me, probably the top item to be addressed in the sim at the moment.

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

20 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

+1

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

26 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I have not had success either.  It just refuses to load the approaches of the airport you have in the D> function.  I've pretty much given up on trying to make the G1000/ any GPS work as its real world counterpart and rely on my Navigraph subscription with the charts and geo-referenced aircraft icon that basically makes it the nav part of the G1000 with me at the controls, being the autopilot portion of the system. 🙂

While the gang at Working Title have made tremendous improvements to it, I think they will eventually hit the same wall @RXP and others have at this point until MS/AS decide to do their part and finish that section of the SDK and/or incorporate the code within the sim to let Working Title gurus go on an Easter egg hunt to find and conquer. 😉

For what it's worth, and given that I don't really know my way around the G1000, I found the G3000 infinitely more usable, and really perfectly fine thus far. 

20 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

For what it's worth, and given that I don't really know my way around the G1000, I found the G3000 infinitely more usable, and really perfectly fine thus far. 

Agree for the most part...and I know that even if all the functionality was there, I probably would only use a small percentage of its capabilities.

Thus far for me, all default GPS systems have only been "adequate" when I supplement my navigation needs as describe in my last post, but only because I know to expect only those things.

The G3000 is better overall, as you don't have to constantly try to put 100% attention on grabbing an inner dial and rotate like crazy while you have a moment of calm air, waiting any moment for a bump to knock your curser to the outer knob and destroy the fix/airport/freq you've been trying to dial in. 😞 

A keypad with the G1000 would make it X times better, and its pretty sad that the Cirrus has one, but its inop (The last I checked).

Anyway, I patiently wait for the improbable where MS/AS addresses it in-sim, and let's Working Title make it 50-70% (or more hopefully) replicate the real-world counterpart, or our intrepid payware devs grab the reigns and deliver GTN goodness that I've become 100% comfortable using in GA aircraft (to me by far the friendliest, most intuitive UI...vastly superior to the Gx series logic IMO)

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

What I have found is that the way it should work doesn't work.  You should be able to hit direct-to and do all that you said.  

What I found that makes it work is to add a fake starting airport and your destination into the flight plan, and then you can load the approach.  Just find a nearby airport and enter that in as your starting point (regardless of whether you actually plan on flying there).  If you use direct-to, you'll see your starting point as "USER" which doesn't work.  Plug in a nearby airport instead as your from and things work a lot better.  You shouldn't have to do this of course, but it does seem to work (at least for me).  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

53 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Agree for the most part...and I know that even if all the functionality was there, I probably would only use a small percentage of its capabilities.

Thus far for me, all default GPS systems have only been "adequate" when I supplement my navigation needs as describe in my last post, but only because I know to expect only those things.

The G3000 is better overall, as you don't have to constantly try to put 100% attention on grabbing an inner dial and rotate like crazy while you have a moment of calm air, waiting any moment for a bump to knock your curser to the outer knob and destroy the fix/airport/freq you've been trying to dial in. 😞 

A keypad with the G1000 would make it X times better, and its pretty sad that the Cirrus has one, but its inop (The last I checked).

Anyway, I patiently wait for the improbable where MS/AS addresses it in-sim, and let's Working Title make it 50-70% (or more hopefully) replicate the real-world counterpart, or our intrepid payware devs grab the reigns and deliver GTN goodness that I've become 100% comfortable using in GA aircraft (to me by far the friendliest, most intuitive UI...vastly superior to the Gx series logic IMO)

Yeah, I have a good amount of real-world time behind the GTN650/750 as well, and you would think moving up the G1000 would at least be in some way logical or intuitive, but it's just not. Perhaps the reason why I've found the G3000 to be more functional is that it's just more logical, or perhaps it's the keyboard in the TBM. It's just way easier to use than the G1000. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

What I have found is that the way it should work doesn't work.  You should be able to hit direct-to and do all that you said. 

it's what I've been saying since release, first you can't activate vector to final, and second it's because half the rnav data is missing. You can do a D> but you have to eh.... how should I put it, "make pretend" for the rest.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, mtr75 said:

It's just way easier to use than the G1000. 

it's also easier when I replace the G1000 with the G3X in the 172 and 208.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Just now, FPStewy said:

it's also easier when I replace the G1000 with the G3X in the 172 and 208.

How do you do that? 

4 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Yeah, I have a good amount of real-world time behind the GTN650/750 as well, and you would think moving up the G1000 would at least be in some way logical or intuitive, but it's just not.

Actually, the real G1000 is logical and you would have no trouble using it.

As mentioned above, the MSFS G1000 has multiple bugs, and while the WorkingTitle folks are doing their best...  the unit is still close to unusable, except as a very nice moving map, at least at present. 🙂

• Like 2

Bert

In Real Life there seems to be contradictory instructions:

Here is what the G1000 Cessna Nav PDF says on page 2-42:

Select Approach
Select Approach allows the pilot to choose a published
instrument approach for the destination airport or replace
the current approach with a new selection.
To select an approach for a direct-to or
flight plan destination airport:
1. From an active flight plan, press the PROC key
to display the Procedures options window.

Activate Approach
Activate Approach allows the pilot to activate the
approach when ready to begin navigating the approach
course (cleared for the approach).
To activate the approach for a direct-to or
1. From an active flight plan, press the PROC key
to display the Procedures options window.

HOWEVER !

Page 2-40 says:

Load Approach
Load Approach allows the pilot to select a published
instrument approach for the destination airport, or replace
the current approach with a new selection.
To select an approach for a direct-to or

1. From the Flight Plan Window, press the MENU
key to display the page menu options.
2. Turn the FMS knob to highlight ‘Load Approach’,
then press the ENT key. A window appears listing
the available approaches for the destination
airport.
3. Turn the FMS knob to select the desired
approach, then press the ENT key. A window
appears listing the available transitions for the
approach.
4. Turn the FMS knob to select the desired transition
or vectors, then press the ENT key.
NOTE: The ‘Vectors’ option assumes that the pilot
will receive vectors from ATC to the final course
segment of the approach.
5. With ‘LOAD?’ highlighted, press the ENT key
to load the approach.
6. To activate the approach, turn the large FMS
knob to highlight ‘ACTIVATE?’, then press the
ENT key.

Nothing in the above states a Flight Plan has to be active for the Direct To

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

54 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

Nothing in the above states a Flight Plan has to be active for the Direct To

There are multiple ways of accomplishing this in the real unit, and THEY ALL WORK.

That is the difference with the MSFS G1000..

• Like 1

Bert

I'm here waiting for the fantastic GTN750..........be waiting a while though 😀

Thomas Derbyshire