Jump to content

BiologicalNanobot

Does Just Flight DC-10 work on Prepar3D v5?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I love DC-10s and I desperately need one for P3D v5, but I was unable to find one other than Just Flight DC-10, but it says it's only compatible with P3D v3 and previous versions. As some old P3D aircraft work on newer versions of P3D, I'm still kinda hopeful. But I still don't want to risk $40 for it, so I've decided to ask beforehand. Does JF DC-10 work on P3D v5?

Thanks in advance.


PC Specs: i7-6700, GTX 1070 and 16 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm Using: X-Plane 11, Prepar3D v5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020).

Share this post


Link to post

Usually (depending mostly on gauges), 32bit aircraft won't work with a 64bit simulator. My guess is that a more complex simulation like the DC-10 will NOT work with P3Dv5 if it was announced for P3Dv3 only.

  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.7GHz · 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3800 14-15-12 · nVidia RTX2080Ti · Gigabyte x570i WiFi PRO · Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2 SATA · LG-32GK650F QHD 32" Monitor · NZXT H210i · Fully Watercooled · Seasonic Core 650W 80+ GOLD

38.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Hi,

I love DC-10s and I desperately need one for P3D v5, but I was unable to find one other than Just Flight DC-10, but it says it's only compatible with P3D v3 and previous versions. As some old P3D aircraft work on newer versions of P3D, I'm still kinda hopeful. But I still don't want to risk $40 for it, so I've decided to ask beforehand. Does JF DC-10 work on P3D v5?

Thanks in advance.

 

See her for more info:

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/120229-Just-Flight-(CLS)-DC-10-compatibility-in-P3DV5?p=1228579#post1228579

  • Like 1

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.1 HF1 and sometimes FSX!

MFG Crosswind | ACE B747 yoke | i7-8700K @4.5Ghz | MSI Z370 HD3 Tomahawk | MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor 8Gb |16Gb Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4 DRAM| Samsung EVO 850 500Gb Windows|WD Blue 1Tb SSD SATA disk | Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2Tb NMVe SSD disk | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p  | beQuiet Silent Base 800 tower  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, aldridgem said:

Thank you!

Just to make sure - so if I get https://www.justflight.com/product/dc10-collection-hd-10-to-40, I can use it in P3D v5, even though it says it's compatible up to P3D v3, right?


PC Specs: i7-6700, GTX 1070 and 16 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm Using: X-Plane 11, Prepar3D v5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020).

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, but if its not officially compatible according to JF, you may not get technical support should you run into problems. Its a risk but if it works you have nothing to lose.

 

  • Like 1

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.1 HF1 and sometimes FSX!

MFG Crosswind | ACE B747 yoke | i7-8700K @4.5Ghz | MSI Z370 HD3 Tomahawk | MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor 8Gb |16Gb Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4 DRAM| Samsung EVO 850 500Gb Windows|WD Blue 1Tb SSD SATA disk | Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2Tb NMVe SSD disk | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p  | beQuiet Silent Base 800 tower  

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Usually (depending mostly on gauges), 32bit aircraft won't work with a 64bit simulator. My guess is that a more complex simulation like the DC-10 will NOT work with P3Dv5 if it was announced for P3Dv3 only.

The JustFlight DC-10 gauges worked in v4 just fine.   

Since its FMC is not really a functional FMC, I installed Ernie Alston's ISG gauges into it as well, and made a poor-man's MD-10.

  • Like 1

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CaptKornDog said:

Oh, what I would give for a quality DC-10 simulation in P3D.

It's really sad that none of the simulator platforms have a nice DC-10... 😞

I'd happily drag my entire body through one mile of broken glass just to see a 10-minute demo of a complex DC-10 rendtion.


PC Specs: i7-6700, GTX 1070 and 16 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm Using: X-Plane 11, Prepar3D v5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020).

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/26/2020 at 9:37 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

Thank you!

Just to make sure - so if I get https://www.justflight.com/product/dc10-collection-hd-10-to-40, I can use it in P3D v5, even though it says it's compatible up to P3D v3, right?

I have the DC-10 HD running in P3Dv5 and it runs well, except there is an issue with the sounds of knobs and switches.  It's been a problem with it in all versions of P3Dv4 and up and is the only lingering issue I have with the DC-10 in P3Dv5 (including 5.1 with the new hotfix).  I have noticed sometimes with the cargo DC-10s that when the exterior doors are open you see no interior, just straight through the model, but it is sporadic and hard to re-create consistently.

There is a forum thread on the JustFlight site that has a fix for the sound issue, but it's from several years ago and the links are all broken.  If anyone here knows how to resolve the sound issues, I'm sure many here would appreciate it.  The one thing I highly recommend is that you replace the JustFlight flight dynamics with the ones from the older freeware SGA DC-10 model.  The climb performance with the JustFlight model is anemic and unrealistic, even when step climbing.  It will require you know how to update the aircraft.cfg file properly to do this.  Copy the .air file for the appropriate model DC-10 into the same folder as the model you want to edit (it will have the aircraft.cfg file), then open the aircraft.cfg and find the [FltSim.XX] entry for the livery you want to update.  Change the line for sim= to the filename (without the extension) of the SGA flight model.

SGA model in the Avsim Library:
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=ecersdc10fsx.zip&Author=&CatID=root

If you don't want to use an .exe installer, you can grab a base install of a DC10-30 from flightsim.com by searching for the filename dc-10-30f-cargoitalia.zip which contains the .air file for a DC-10-30 / -30F.

Here's the JustFlight thread with some other helpful fixes, such as fuel quantities:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32377&title=dc10-hd-fixes-and-mods

Once you get this straightened out, it's a pretty fun, although light on systems simulations, bird to fly.  The included manual has a great step-by-step tutorial flight on how to get the flight engineer panel and autopilot set up correctly.  Just did a run from KMSP to EHAM in a NW DC-10 the other day.  It's nowhere near a PMDG, FSLabs, or even Aerosoft "study level" bird, but the old gauges and flight engineer panel make for a fun change of pace from the modern glassers.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

except there is an issue with the sounds of knobs and switches

This is because the majority of gauges in this bird are XML (so they work in 64-bit), but the ones that control sound happen to be either 32-bit .GAU or .DLL (I don't remember, I replaced it with HJG's one). If the gauges are the same ones as in the A330/A340, these are the ones that need a 64-bit replacement:

CLS_FSX_CONFIG.dll -> For saving panel state
CLS_FSX_FUELDUMP.dll -> Fuel dumping
CLS_FSX_NUMBER.dll -> No idea what does it do. There's no INI associated with it.
CLS_FSX_SOUND.dll -> Manages all the panel sounds
CLS_FSX_TCAS.dll -> Self explaining. I guess it's easier to replace either the HSI or VSI with one that supports TCAS. The CLS one was always on.

Looks like there are good news: there are 64-bit versions of the gauges used for the Ken Mitchell freeware Airbus panels for FS9 (which should be similar to the CLS ones; same panel developer). The files may be found here: https://www.douglassdawson.ca

 

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

My rig: ASUS TUF FX504GD (Intel i5 8300H @ 2.8-4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1050 2 GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD+256 GB 1 TB SATA III SSD as storage, Windows 10 Home)

Saitek X-52 as primary controller. Xbox 360 wired and eDimensional G-Pad Pro wired controllers as standby/travel.

Finally moved to P3D4.5. Also running FSX-SE, FS9 and XP11 Vulkan. Tried MSFS2020, but my rig isn't up to the task. What do I do with 4 sims now?

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

I have the DC-10 HD running in P3Dv5 and it runs well, except there is an issue with the sounds of knobs and switches.  It's been a problem with it in all versions of P3Dv4 and up and is the only lingering issue I have with the DC-10 in P3Dv5 (including 5.1 with the new hotfix).  I have noticed sometimes with the cargo DC-10s that when the exterior doors are open you see no interior, just straight through the model, but it is sporadic and hard to re-create consistently.

There is a forum thread on the JustFlight site that has a fix for the sound issue, but it's from several years ago and the links are all broken.  If anyone here knows how to resolve the sound issues, I'm sure many here would appreciate it.  The one thing I highly recommend is that you replace the JustFlight flight dynamics with the ones from the older freeware SGA DC-10 model.  The climb performance with the JustFlight model is anemic and unrealistic, even when step climbing.  It will require you know how to update the aircraft.cfg file properly to do this.  Copy the .air file for the appropriate model DC-10 into the same folder as the model you want to edit (it will have the aircraft.cfg file), then open the aircraft.cfg and find the [FltSim.XX] entry for the livery you want to update.  Change the line for sim= to the filename (without the extension) of the SGA flight model.

SGA model in the Avsim Library:
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=ecersdc10fsx.zip&Author=&CatID=root

If you don't want to use an .exe installer, you can grab a base install of a DC10-30 from flightsim.com by searching for the filename dc-10-30f-cargoitalia.zip which contains the .air file for a DC-10-30 / -30F.

Here's the JustFlight thread with some other helpful fixes, such as fuel quantities:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32377&title=dc10-hd-fixes-and-mods

Once you get this straightened out, it's a pretty fun, although light on systems simulations, bird to fly.  The included manual has a great step-by-step tutorial flight on how to get the flight engineer panel and autopilot set up correctly.  Just did a run from KMSP to EHAM in a NW DC-10 the other day.  It's nowhere near a PMDG, FSLabs, or even Aerosoft "study level" bird, but the old gauges and flight engineer panel make for a fun change of pace from the modern glassers.

 

Do you know if the SGA model works in 64-bit P3D?

 

Guess that seems to be the only freeware offering out there.


Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Mazo said:

https://www.justflight.com/product/l1011-tristar-professional-download

Yes, it is also for P3Dv5. When you go to the installer, it gives you the choice of: FSX, P3Dv1 through and including v5

Regular $52.99. Now on special: $26.50

Lyn

Thank you! How is it compared to the Captain Sim L1011? (https://captainsim.net/products/y011/y112/)

I really like flying classic airliners with steam gauges, is there anything do you recommend?

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC Specs: i7-6700, GTX 1070 and 16 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm Using: X-Plane 11, Prepar3D v5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020).

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Do you know if the SGA model works in 64-bit P3D?

I don't think so: FS9 and earlier models usually don't work in P3D4/5.

2 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Guess that seems to be the only freeware offering out there.

Nope: there is also this one:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=167876

FSX-native model and XML gauges, so it should run in P3D4 flawlessly.


Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

My rig: ASUS TUF FX504GD (Intel i5 8300H @ 2.8-4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1050 2 GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD+256 GB 1 TB SATA III SSD as storage, Windows 10 Home)

Saitek X-52 as primary controller. Xbox 360 wired and eDimensional G-Pad Pro wired controllers as standby/travel.

Finally moved to P3D4.5. Also running FSX-SE, FS9 and XP11 Vulkan. Tried MSFS2020, but my rig isn't up to the task. What do I do with 4 sims now?

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Thank you! How is it compared to the Captain Sim L1011? (https://captainsim.net/products/y011/y112/)

I really like flying classic airliners with steam gauges, is there anything do you recommend?

Ewww gross, an L1011.   😁

Actually I had the sounds (knob/gauge sounds) working in the CLS/JustFlight DC-10 in P3Dv4.5.   I haven't tried to move this airplane over to v5.  At one time I had a really slick 64-bit DC-10/MD-10 setup but it's been a while.  I'm not even sure I could remember everything I did with it, but I remember it was really difficult to get the sounds working.  I had to modify some .ini files to directly point to each .wav file for the gauges.

The SGA air file is the one to use.  I had separate .air files for the -10, and -30, and even -40 model as I recall.  The SGA gives the most realistic climbout rate and burn.


Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    41%
    $10,300.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...