Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Agreed I'm just tired of wearing additional gear on my head!

I have what is like a headband with a cap on the front called a Visor, I bought from Track IR. Sometimes I forget I have it on and walks outside and people look at me like " What is that weird thing on your head"...LOL

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/accessories/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

53 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

It tracks head or actual eye movement and I don't have to wear a stupid clip on my head every flight? Count me in. Been using Track IR for years but this looks like a nice step forward. 

Have to put your iPhone on a stand and set it up before you fly.. Not for me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

46 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Have to put your iPhone on a stand and set it up before you fly.. Not for me. 

Not that bad, click the app on your phone, lay your phone down a stand that you can purchase on Amazon for dirt cheap and your set..all about a minute of work at most.

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

5 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Not that bad, click the app on your phone, lay your phone down a stand that you can purchase on Amazon for dirt cheap and your set..all about a minute of work at most.

Takes 2 seconds to put my visor on, and if I get a phone call, I can answer it. 

• Like 2

One small self-tapping screw through the long arm of the TIR clip and into the top-center of a headset band has worked beautifully for me for me since Kitty was a pup. 

I think it also increases one's sense of immersion as well . . . .and goes very nicely with a long-sleeved white shirt and black tie. . .

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMlRUA64nqxnaTA2kH?e=mn8b1h

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Takes 2 seconds to put my visor on, and if I get a phone call, I can answer it. 

That’s the beauty of it, options for every ones taste, in my case, I have track ir as well but don’t use it as I’d rather be unavailable for a phone call for an hour or so and sacrifice an extra 58 seconds then to have to wear a hat or headgear while simming, to each their own! Also helps that I have an Iwatch so I technically don’t miss phone calls, but I could understand someone who needs to be available by phone at all times prefer a different option for sure.

Cheers! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 hour ago, vrdubin6 said:

Been using Track IR for years but this looks like a nice step forward. 

It's by no means obvious that it's a step forward. Okay, you don't have to wear a hat (really small deal) but otherwise it's currently a poor substitute for TrackIR that costs twice as much. If anybody knows what it means that eye tracking is going to be 'implemented' in MSFS, I'd like to hear it.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

12 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

That’s the beauty of it, options for every ones taste, in my case, I have track ir as well but don’t use it as I’d rather be unavailable for a phone call for an hour or so and sacrifice an extra 58 seconds then to have to wear a hat or headgear while simming, to each their own! Also helps that I have an Iwatch so I technically don’t miss phone calls, but I could understand someone who needs to be available by phone at all times prefer a different option for sure.

Cheers! 

It is just for me, having to take my phone and put it on a stand, and aim it before flying, would be a total PIA. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

It is just for me, having to take my phone and put it on a stand, and aim it before flying, would be a total PIA. 

Ya l get it, the advantage of a track ir is it’s a dedicated system which is nice. But for some who don’t want to drop 200$+ on hardware, the alternative would definitely be a viable option. I do have a permanent stand that’s dedicated to flight simming, so there is no aiming, I drop my phone on it and it’s properly aimed every time, no messing about whatsoever. Of course after an initial setup and tweaking of settings to dial it in, but that’s required on every piece of hardware.

2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

It's by no means obvious that it's a step forward. Okay, you don't have to wear a hat (really small deal) but otherwise it's currently a poor substitute for TrackIR that costs twice as much. If anybody knows what it means that eye tracking is going to be 'implemented' in MSFS, I'd like to hear it.

I'm happy with Track IR and have been for years but the current iteration is over a decade old and some competition to the market is welcome. Current price is $205 USD which is $20 more than Track IR 5 with the TrackClip Pro. If MSFS integration works well I'll gladly pay the additional cost to not bother with having to wear a hat with a flimsy metal clip or my headset with a wired LED devices strapped to it every time I fly. 

Eye tracking is just that, it tracks eye movement and pans accordingly. There are many YouTube videos demonstrating it. Here is one showing the calibration process and a demonstration using it in Euro Truck Simulator.

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

This was a test a year ago with Tobii eye tracker 5 in MSFS.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 with head and eye tracking. - YouTube

This is more resent vid.

MSFS 2020 w/ Tobii eye tracker (fine tuned) - YouTube

You can also control your windows functions.

Support already started in the road map due next month.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Interesting device, I may try one 

Already have one works in P3Dv5xx and has support in loads of games and sims use it in F1-2021.

DCS | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Digital Combat Simulator - YouTube

PS I have glasses Bi-focal but have VDU glasses made for me they do not affect Tobii Eye Tracker, nothing worn on the head get up move around look out the window then back to the screen no problem.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

27 minutes ago, vrdubin6 said:

There are many YouTube videos demonstrating it. Here is one showing the calibration process and a demonstration using it in Euro Truck Simulator.

Yes, your truck sim video shows just how clunky and artificial it is to control the view with eye tracking. The guy even says 'I prefer to use my head, it's much quicker'. From that video it looks like the latest version uses essentially the same algoriithm as the original Tobii (I had one), which is is a binary start/stop panning of the view. So basically, an unnecessary gimmick. There's nothing wrong with innovation but the Tobii is still a solution in search of a problem. When you have head tracking, a natural and instantly intuitive solution with a 20 year track record, you're going to have to try very hard to come up with anything better. This isn't it, and the value of eye tracking lies elsewhere - if I was investing, I'd be trying to use it to fix VR.

The hat clip isn't flimsy BTW, so that's just rhetoric.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Tobii 5 has both head and eye tracking and it works very well indeed. Will need to see how it is implemented in MSFS but it definitely isn’t binary start stop of panning in my experience. It is really fluid and smooth with the right support. You can also dial in how you want it to act to really personalise the experience.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.