Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Any Oculus Users Having Success?

I've tried the Rift S and the Quest 2 (via Link). In both cases, MSFS says "Error: headset not detected" when I try to switch to VR mode.

Anyone else got this working with an Oculus HMD?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Yes, Its working, but I am seeing a strange black outline / artifact  that is interfering with the view.  I cant yet figure out how to get rid of it.  

I'm on Oculus CV1.  

• Like 2

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Occulus Rift CV1 user here. I have the Steam version of the simulator and have Steam VR 1.15.15 installed.

I've got a bit further than you. I can actually get into VR if I launch Steam VR prior to launching MSFS. But the main menu screens are warping strangely when I move my head from side to side. Same thing while in the cockpit. Everything distorts strangely when moving my view.  I've also got jitters as well. Not really useable this way and sure hope this isn't how it's supposed to be!

• Like 1

Just now, joby33y said:

Yes, Its working, but I am seeing a strange black outline / artifact  that is interfering with the view.  I cant yet figure out how to get rid of it.  

I'm on Oculus CV1.  

Apparently if you turn off use FOV stencil in the debug tool is removes it.

• Upvote 2

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Original Oculus Rift user here. VR is unusable and bug-filled OF COURSE. I too have the black outline box on the screen. But that is the least of my problems. Despite my Rift working well in every other program I use, MSFS locks up and is a complete mess.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Have you installed OpenXR (free) from Microsoft store?

Edited by peppy197

8 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Original Oculus Rift user here. VR is unusable and bug-filled OF COURSE. I too have the black outline box on the screen. But that is the least of my problems. Despite my Rift working well in every other program I use, MSFS locks up and is a complete mess.

If you use the oculas debig tool turn of fov stencil, its got rid of that box i had.

48 minutes ago, Flying Fisherman said:

Occulus Rift CV1 user here. I have the Steam version of the simulator and have Steam VR 1.15.15 installed.

I've got a bit further than you. I can actually get into VR if I launch Steam VR prior to launching MSFS. But the main menu screens are warping strangely when I move my head from side to side. Same thing while in the cockpit. Everything distorts strangely when moving my view.  I've also got jitters as well. Not really useable this way and sure hope this isn't how it's supposed to be!

I have the same. First time I tried to switch to VR I just saw a blink and then nothing. Installed Steam VR and launced MSFS from the steam vr lobby. Worked, but horrible stutters while moving the view. Tried to launch from standard Steam desktop and surprisingly it work better. It was actually flyable. Not completely stutter free though. It is really cool to sit inside the cockpit! 

(Rift S, Ryzen 5900x RTX2070)

I’d tried it with oculus app open, and with steam vr open. So far, no luck getting it to recognize oculus hmds.

I’ve - yuck - decided to fly with my WMR headset for a while. Works fine, performance is poor as expected so you need to turn the rendered pixels down to below native, which does make everything blurry.

As for the black artifact on the screen, yes that’s commonly reported and you’re meant to turn the stencilling option off in the oculus debug tool to fix it (did that before i started, so hasn’t been a problem for me).

For the (?minority) of oculus users who have this working well, let us know if there’s any parameters/variables that the rest of us might need to alter.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I’d tried it with oculus app open, and with steam vr open. So far, no luck getting it to recognize oculus hmds.

I’ve - yuck - decided to fly with my WMR headset for a while. Works fine, performance is poor as expected so you need to turn the rendered pixels down to below native, which does make everything blurry.

As for the black artifact on the screen, yes that’s commonly reported and you’re meant to turn the stencilling option off in the oculus debug tool to fix it (did that before i started, so hasn’t been a problem for me).

For the (?minority) of oculus users who have this working well, let us know if there’s any parameters/variables that the rest of us might need to alter.

Im running the rift s all my settings are on medium except clouds which are high, running really nicely near stutter free experience.

i7 10700k

16GB Ram

1070ti

1 hour ago, Bilal2104 said:

Apparently if you turn off use FOV stencil in the debug tool is removes it.

Thanks for the tip!  That fixed it.  My other frustration was trying to get the cockpit view centered behind the yoke ("Camera Reset" was putting me next to the wheel fairing outside the cockpit!)  - solution : use the Oculus home 'reset view in app' function.  Now, it works great.  

I am blown away.  I just flew the C172 out of KTIW for a quick test flight around the Puget Sound.  Smooth as silk.  No stutters whatsoever.

using Rift CV1.  

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

1 hour ago, Flying Fisherman said:

I have the exact same issue! Thank god it’s not just me! Has anybody else experiences this? I have a Rift S, is there any solutions? 

Oculus Quest 2 and no problems whatsoever. Stutterfree and to me, a beatiful and polished VR experience where you can actually use the mouse as you would in standard view. Simple centerview with spacebar, return to non-VR with ctrl+tab, graphics-settings for VR is a separate setting and returns to your usual settings when out of VR. To me; 10/10

Ryzen 9 5900X

32gb 3600cl16

3080 TUF

Edited by Bionor

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Unfortunately, Not working for me. I have an Steam version of MS20202, Oculus Quest v1, using OculusLink. I see just yellow light in the headset but the flat screen shows that it is tracking my head movements.

Anyone get the Oculus Quest v1 working?