Sign in to follow this  
kt069

Lost in the Middle of Nowhere, How to Find Your Way ???

When you click on a random location on the map and load the sim, just using the drone, how can you find the way to a known place ? No map, no instruments, just the nature 🙂

Suggestion welcomed ???

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

11 minutes ago, kt069 said:

When you click on a random location on the map and load the sim, just using the drone, how can you find the way to a known place ? No map, no instruments, just the nature 🙂

Suggestion welcomed ???

I heard once that even if you try to walk in a straight line, you will walk in a circle.

• Like 1

I need to know how to use the drone first! Seriously I have difficulty to know where to start - help please?

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

13 minutes ago, sauviat said:

I need to know how to use the drone first! Seriously I have difficulty to know where to start - help please?

Martin

Use "Insert" key (above "Supr" key) to enter the "Drone" camera, then to move is a bit orthopedic, use W, A, S, D to move any direction, R, F, to up & down.

Then use key pad numbers 2, 4, 6, 8 to rotate de camera. Key pad nº5 returns to your plane.

At the ingame menu (the little triangle above your screen) you can select the "camera" icon and select the speed for your drone translation and rotation movements.

The the are some fancy modes using the Function Keys (F1, F2...) to apply effects.

To get back to your pilot seat, press "End" key.

Edited by zalox
  • Like 6

@zalox Oh fantastic! Thanks for this. Tomorrow will be drone day. Watch this and turn on the sound and enter full screen. The Part One was yesterday. Part Two was tonight, with Part Three tomorrow evening, so keep the link:)

https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/whats-on/fare-well-part-1

Martin

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

49 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

I heard once that even if you try to walk in a straight line, you will walk in a circle.

Only in the desert. If you're right-handed your right leg takes a slightly longer step than the left. If you're left handed - vicea versa. There's nothing you can do about that. 

You'll walk in circles. 

Take water with you - if you're setting off for an oasis. If it's more than twenty miles away you  probably won't make it. The sun will kill you.

istockphoto-519083350-170667a.jpg

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, sauviat said:

Martin

Just get yourself a cheap xbox controller. It's already set up for the drone and it works perfect

• Like 3

@devgrp thanks for the tip,

Martin

• Like 1

Martin Parr

1 hour ago, dobee51 said:

dobee51,

These days I cannot walk far enough to walk in a circle.  However, to compensate for that inability, my mind goes in circles all the bloody time LOL

Happy New Year to you all.

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

58 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Only in the desert. If you're right-handed your right leg takes a slightly longer step than the left. If you're left handed - vicea versa. There's nothing you can do about that. 

You'll walk in circles. 

Take water with you - if you're setting off for an oasis. If it's more than twenty miles away you  probably won't make it. The sun will kill you.

istockphoto-519083350-170667a.jpg

so walk at night and follow the Pole Star or a southern hemisphere equivalent.

Somebody here months ago pointed out that for $20 or so you can buy anyone of those USB programmable keypad that has like maybe 15 keys (0-9, Enter, Del, - + etc). Keys are sort of 4 x4 layout. You can program all the drone keys on that and paste little labels over the old numbers.

The guy was using it for all the Autopilot commands. Would also work for the drone. If you aren't planning on using the drone for a flight, you can just store it away. It will hold what you program onto it unless reprogrammed.

You need the 6 move up down right left in out. And also the 4 panning (look) right left up down. And the Insert key programmed on it  (jump to drone view), and Toggle Cockpit View (jump back to cockpit view).

The last one, 'Toggle Cockpit View', is NOT mapped on the keyboard anywhere by Asobo, you have to map it yourself somewhere. Is one of the most useful commands in the sim. It works much better than 'cockpit/external view mode' (END key), to jump back into the cockpit from the drone.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

... or just buy a cheap $10 USB XBOX controller and have fun making home movies.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

So walk at night and follow the Pole Star or a southern hemisphere equivalent.

Yes, good!  And if you see an Oasis in the distance, don't trust it.  It could be a Mirage, and by that I don't mean the French fighter jet!

I reckon I could get out of this situation easily, as I have watched 'The Flight of the Phoenix' a few times, and I like to observe and learn, as most stuff in the movies is actually true, I think, so: -

1. Crash plane in the desert.

2. Stay with the plane and don't walk off, as rescuers will come looking for you.

3. When they don't, build a new plane out of the wreckage.

4.  Fly the new (somewhat smaller) plane out of the desert - easy!

Sorry if I spoilt the film for anyone, but the 2005 version was pants anyway! 

As for kt069's original question, I would not click on to a random and deserted location to start with, only a place with recognisable features you could follow on Google maps in your browser window (other maps are available - Bing do maps as well apparently!).  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.