Sign in to follow this  
Mace

the word 'bespoke'

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

In that case, I must provide my most enthusiastic contrafibularities over the etymology of bespoke. 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

I guess you are aware of Blackadder too :) 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

17 hours ago, Mace said:

Is the word "bespoke" some new entrant into the English language, or is this some British English as opposed to American English, that I have never been exposed to?

Not new at all here in the UK. Very common word indeed. 

Interesting. Here we are talking about the meaning and proper use of what, to many, is an unfamiliar expression and, then, up jumps "take the mickey". When posting in these forums it would be helpful if we all remember that this is an international audience who may not fully understand the meaning of all phrases and, therefore, have no idea what you're talking about. And I'm not hanging noodles on your ears.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Well, just to confuse matters further linguistically, I used taking the mickey because taking the p*** gets censored, but it is the same thing since in this context, the mickey is from the cockney rhyming slang for p***, being derived from mickey bliss, and writing taking the micturation would just make matters worse. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I just did that and feel much better now. Gotta stop drinking so much coffee...... 🙂 .

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

At least you don't have to drink covfefe over there any more. 🤣

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

What are you smocking? Having to give up covfefe would be unpresidented. They even drink it in Thighland. (But your thought is correct and well taken 🙂 ).

Edited by W2DR
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Thighland

OMG, LOL!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thighland???  Ha to the-haha!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just now, Rob_Ainscough said:

We drink Jack Daniels during Stormy weather.

Cheers, Rob.

Doesn't even have to be stormy for me to drink JD. 🙂

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

During the Vietnam war I spent a year in Thailand.  But I think we all have visited Thighland a time or two.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The natives are restless..................................

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

33 minutes ago, Mace said:

Thighland???  Ha to the-haha!

Sounds like a "Happy ending" to me!  🤪

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Some are even better ones but the WNA thingie won't let them post. But, not to fear, Google is your friend.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

But I think we all have visited Thighland a time or two.

Ah, the memories of an earlier time.........