Sign in to follow this  
Ironmaid91

Pilot2ATC - Two instances running

Hi. I have a strange problem.

Yesterday, Pilot2ATC worked fine. Today It won't start... I got an error saying:

"Multiple Instances of Pilot2ATC Error

Another instance of Pilot2ATC alredy running. Shut it down before attempting to open a new instance"

I'm not able to find this other instance running in my task mangaer... Have restarted my computer several times with no luck... I also shut down my computer every night.

My version of the app is v2.6.2.0_x64 - can anybody help? I also am sure that there is no way I start the program two times (in terms of double clicking), because I allways start the app as an Administrator, with a right click

When you get that message, closing the message box will stop the second instance from running.

Check the Task bar and see if there is an icon for P2A after clicking only once on the P2A icon.

If so, then you can make the program visible with the following steps:

1)After starting Pilot2ATC, Hover over the icon on the Taskbar

2)A larger thumbnail of the program should show

3)Right-click that larger thumbnail

4)Select Move

5)Hold down the Right Arrow key on the keyboard until the program comes into view

6)If that doesn’t work, hold down the left arrow

7)Once the window is in view, use the mouse to move it to the desired location.

😎Shut down Pilot2ATC so the location will be remembered.

Dave

Hi
I also had this problem a few weeks ago (Windows 10 as operating system and two screens). As a result, I was no longer able to use P2A for a while. And for whatever reason, this problem suddenly disappeared for a while. As a precaution, I then kept the P2A and X-Plane 11.51 on the same screen.

But as of today this annoying problem is back. I have no idea what that is. Dave's statement ("When you get that message, closing the message box will stop the second instance from running.") did not work for me. In addition, P2A has disappeared in the taskbar, so that I have no chance to fix the problem with a right click, arrows, etc. But if I exit X-Plane 11 after the flight, P2A is available again on the screen as if nothing had happened. It's really weird.

My hope is that someone here in the forum is very familiar with the Windows 10 operating system and can offer help to those affected.

Regards
dhondt

It’s a Windows issue. I had this problem yesterday. Google how to cycle through your open programs in Windows 10. It’s a 2-key press procedure — easy to do, but so non-intuitive that I’ve already forgotten which keys are involved. When you do it, Pilot2ATC reappears on screen, and your good to go.

@ Lon33

Thank you for the quick feedback.

Did a quick search with Google. Apparently that should work with the keys ALT & TAB or Windows & TAB.

I will try this out in the next few days (if P2A disappears again) and then give a feedback here.

Thanks again for the hint.

dhondt

I have been encountering the same problem.  Usually, I can kill the hung handles with process explorer but today nothing.

I tried sign out my first choice but didn't resolve.

It is important here windows 10 users.  MS has made shutdown the hibernate function for fast start.  You MUST restart your machine otherwise the problem will continue.  I know I have had the problem.

Today, I had to restart my machine to get rid of whatever it is looking at in memory.

Process Lasso will kill both copies of P2A and allow you to restart (most of the time). 

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

@ JeB1952. Thanks for your input.

I keep running several programs at the same time. But I only have this problem in connection with P2A and X-Plane 11. So it could be that something between P2A and Windows (10) triggers this. Maybe Dave can analyze this problem in more depth.

Regards

dhondt

@ Denwagg

Thanks for your input.

What do I mean by the Lasso process; what is that?

But either way. It is unpleasant that it terminates both processes. This means that you would have to start all over again with P2A planning etc., which would be really tedious.

Regards

dhondt

1 hour ago, Denwagg said:

Process Lasso will kill both copies of P2A and allow you to restart (most of the time). 

I also have the latest process lasso and I have a strong gut feeling that it may be involved.   In conclusive so far.   

I mostly run P2A with fsuipc7 beta and p2a_link for TG, X-Plane, 

I have had problems with X-plane not shutting down completely.   Found ProcessGoverner.exe at the bottom of this thread chain.  I do think Lasso will always be involved because of the nature of the program.  

Thought I would list to see any comparisons with programs involved with X-plane TG AI to fsuipc7 to Pilot2ATC.

Yesterday everything seemed fine until this morning.  I had an Nvidia driver update that may have contributed.

1 hour ago, dhondt said:

@ Denwagg

Thanks for your input.

What do I mean by the Lasso process; what is that?

But either way. It is unpleasant that it terminates both processes. This means that you would have to start all over again with P2A planning etc., which would be really tedious.

Regards

dhondt

Just search the web for Process Lasso.  It can aid in providing your gaming the most resources.  I don't use cpu affinity as things work much better on windows 10 without.  In windows 10 don't forget to set the graphics settings in game mode for the game which keeps the video card at high power and maybe suspends some windows processes.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

When you get that message, closing the message box will stop the second instance from running.

Check the Task bar and see if there is an icon for P2A after clicking only once on the P2A icon.

If so, then you can make the program visible with the following steps:

1)After starting Pilot2ATC, Hover over the icon on the Taskbar

2)A larger thumbnail of the program should show

3)Right-click that larger thumbnail

4)Select Move

5)Hold down the Right Arrow key on the keyboard until the program comes into view

6)If that doesn’t work, hold down the left arrow

7)Once the window is in view, use the mouse to move it to the desired location.

😎Shut down Pilot2ATC so the location will be remembered.

Dave

This is not hidden window problem. 

I am still encountering this issue.  Every lengthy? flight I would not be able to restart P2A.   Shutdown process lasso and what has been happening no longer happened.

X-Plane, P2A  and a couple other programs are excluded from probalance and that was it.  The remainder is just managing power profile.  So if you have Process Lasso and are experiencing then try a flight without it.  I did not find that my X plane performance suffered in any way.

This behavior started within the last two months.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:17 PM, JeB1952 said:

This is not hidden window problem. 

That is correct many times P2A does not ever show up in processes running in task manage. But no matter what when you try to start it it says its already running.

Process Lasso May be the problem (not sure) but it also always finds one or two copies of P2A when task manager s does not and If I terminate them I can restart.

Below is an image of both task manager and Process Lasso Processes

50895474386_31705df84c_o.jpg

regards

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

On 1/31/2021 at 12:55 PM, Denwagg said:

Denwagg

Thanks for sharing.  I am seeing the exact same thing.   When I reinstalled Lasso I noticed there is a install at boot option that I thought might help.   It is something about how Lasso inserts itself.

I tried a run with lasso but no performance tuning options and it still hung the process which can be killed by lasso.

Two flights now without Lasso and my performance is just as good using the high performance power option and no problems of any kind.

I have forwarded the concerns to Dave and the author of Lasso.  Note that I have seen issue with X-plane hanging as well but this has cleared up and may have been caused by TG as there have been comments about X plane not shutting down with TG.  I can't say I have experienced.

You may want to check your event log as I found repeating entries for p2a, 1st .net exception and 2nd is kernall violation and crash.  I think this is leaving the lasso version stuck in limbo but running and not suspended as other symptoms have presented.

There are two problems going on here.  The first with p2a us that it wasn't in taskmgr but was showing suspended in process explorer.  Now with the version I am running no more suspended state just the instance running in lasso and I am getting these event errors.