Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

P-40B Tomahawk | Wookiee's Hanger (Big Radials)

Just now, leprechaunlive said:

nice find! But the B didnt have those rheostats i dont think. they appear only on later models (at least in the references we've got). But thanks for the spotlight bit, did not know that!

Yup, that is from a later variant manual, and as you say I've seen some P40 cockpits without those lights, since things changed over the various models and it is basically a day fighter. But, if you wanted to actually place some lights in the thing as an actual 3D modeled object, you might as well replicate the ones which were on later models and just call it a battlefield modification, which may possibly have been done for real, who knows?

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Yup, that is from a later variant manual, and as you say I've seen some P40 cockpits without those lights, since things changed over the various models and it is basically a day fighter. But, if you wanted to actually place some lights in the thing as an actual 3D modeled object, you might as well replicate the ones which were on later models and just call it a battlefield modification, which may possibly have been done for real, who knows?

Yea so many variant, mods, specs, its hard to keep track!

4 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

May i ask what book is this? Althought not for a B (ailerons trim) it looks interesting!

This one. It is by Aviation Publications. It might be out of print these days because I've had it years, but the ISBN is 0-87994-018-2. 

Cheaper on Abe Books. There's a couple on there for a fiver each. That's a great site for stuff like this by the way.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Nice looking aeroplane and a good effort by the developers.  Personally, I won't be buying this as the price is just a tad too much in my opinion. Same goes for the Milviz Corsair.

The sim itself has too many fundamental problems modelling the characteristics of high powered tail draggers at the moment to make these aircraft enjoyable - in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, RW1 said:

Because the P-40 on finals with a closed canopy is not authentic.

FINAL, not finals...

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

12 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

I had Jankees as a consultant. he is basically the master repainter in the sim world .Now of course i did not implement all changes he would ask, since, i have a whole plane to make, cant really afford spending 3 months on one livery! But he pushed me hard enough to have, what i feel, are very decent liveries, and historically as  accurate as i could make them without having to research them for a year.

With all the resources available on the web, there really isn't any excuse for not taking about 30 minutes to research a paint scheme, if you don't have your own resources. And taking 3 months? If it really does take you that long I can see why shortcuts are taken. It can be done in a day. And I'm not rivet counting here by any means. These are basic things that should be right when charging for a product. There are devs who really do take the time to make sure everything is as accurate as possible.

I really don't want to be discouraging, I think you have a nice product that could be great. But I think these basic things need to be pointed out, and as a new dev, I'm sure you appreciate constructive criticism as well as the adulation. Thanks for listening.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

43 minutes ago, Coneman said:

With all the resources available on the web, there really isn't any excuse for not taking about 30 minutes to research a paint scheme, if you don't have your own resources. And taking 3 months? If it really does take you that long I can see why shortcuts are taken. It can be done in a day. And I'm not rivet counting here by any means. These are basic things that should be right when charging for a product. There are devs who really do take the time to make sure everything is as accurate as possible.

I really don't want to be discouraging, I think you have a nice product that could be great. But I think these basic things need to be pointed out, and as a new dev, I'm sure you appreciate constructive criticism as well as the adulation. Thanks for listening.

you sound just like Jankees actually 😄 few points here:

- Im not sure you realise how terribly long and hard the development of a full plane is. We are only two people working on the plane. One of them, has a day job already. we both have families, so doing anything takes us twice longer if not more. 

-i dont know where you get your time references from, but they are wrong (at least from our experience

- And finally your saying all this without owning the product, so how about you you first get it, try it, and see for yourself? 

-On that last point, how about you drop me a DM, i'll sort you out with a free copy, how is that? so you can make up your own mind. It might confirm what you thought, or it might not, who knows, and you might even send me an email afterward telling me what exactly should be improved (rather than "liveries are bad").

and no people, im not giving more away lol

• Like 3

The guy comes across really badly to me and questions a lot of things you say. I have no need to call it all out as you yourself know how wrong it is, and you want to reward him a free copy!

Jankees work is right up there, he is one of the very best, I have all his FG livery’s 

So next time you release we can all start telling you how bad your work is in the hope of getting a free copy!!!

The biggest kicker he does it without even having it, but still does nothing but pull you down.

And you offer him....him a free copy....wow, 

I watched the live stream and came away with thinking you guys for your first aircraft did an amazing job. Personally I am still not sure about buying it even though after everything I have seen, I feel you have done far more than I thought you would have done. I take my hat off to you two and your team. Am just not personally a fan of the P40, but I sure as hell are not going to pull you down without even spending some time in it myself.

I can say personally I think the Milviz FG is better than the FI spit because I own both. Were you P40 fits in am not sure but after watching everything it far more up there than I thought it would be.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

6 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

The biggest kicker he does it without even having it, but still does nothing but pull you down.

Yea, i know lol. Maybe that'll brighten his day, who knows!

1 minute ago, leprechaunlive said:

Yea, i know lol. Maybe that'll brighten his day, who knows!

I just added more to my comments.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

11 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Jankees work is right up there, he is one of the very best, I have all his FG liveries

you got that right! That man bloody harassed and flooded me with every single details wrong about my liveries 😄 but it was so good to have him part of the test crew, i learned a lot (not enough aparently 😛 )

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

The guy comes across really badly to me and questions a lot of things you say. I have no need to call it all out as you yourself know how wrong it is, and you want to reward him a free copy!

Jankees work is right up there, he is one of the very best, I have all his FG livery’s 

So next time you release we can all start telling you how bad your work is in the hope of getting a free copy!!!

I watched the live stream and came away with thinking you guys for your first aircraft did an amazing job. Personally I am still not sure about buying it even though after everything I have seen, I feel you have done far more than I thought you would have done. I take my hat off to you two and your team. Am just not personally a fan of the P40, but I sure as hell are not going to pull you down without even spending some time in it myself.

I can say personally I think the Milviz FG is better than the FI spit because I own both. Were you P40 fits in am not sure but after watching everything it far more up there than I thought it would be.

thank you sir, we did try hard to make something decent! Im not too keen on comparison, because out of context, they dont really mean anything. And we are not necessarely aiming at the same target. althought, i would put ourselves closer to the Spit than the Corsair. We just dont have the firepower yet to fight with the big boys studios!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leprechaunlive said:

i would put ourselves closer to the Spit than the Corsair. We just dont have the firepower yet to fight with the big boys studios!

I'd go the other way and say you were closer to the Corsair than the Spitfire, but either way it's no bad thing as they are both great fun add-ons.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Question regarding the canopy being open on takeoff, I do so on the spit and corsair and also the manual here says to have the canopy open, I tested it a few times now and when it's open I can't take off without overstressing the aircraft, this happens pretty much instantly when the wheels leave the ground.  Same conditions with the canopy closed and I have no issues.  

I might just chime on the free copy thing here as well, the last thing you need is someone being critical in the worst possible way, it's not even remotely constructive criticism and tbh I doubt it will ever be based on the mannerism in which the feedback was provided so don't expect a a turnaround of opinion either.  But people on the fence of making a purchase may end up making a no purchase decision based on this type of feedback as negative feedback is the type that gets noticed the most.  And people's opinion's are very much what I personally based my decision upon so they do impact on sales, I had zero interest in this plane when it was released, hell I didn't even really knew it had, I have enough WW2 planes so why would I need another but it was Chock's review which changed my mind so it is very much something that people factor in when deciding so I can certainly understand why you chose to do this as having people criticise your product without even having tried it first hand would be very frustrating.

Edited by stefaandk
typo
  • Like 2

Frankly I was pleasantly surprised by how great this P40 turned out.   Its a lot of fun to fly and to me 'feels' right.  There is a great deal of satisfaction on a well executed takeoff and landing.   I appreciate the little details such as the #RTDM mode and little things like the switches in the machine gun boxes for turning on and off little notes with tips on them.

I turned off crash detection so I could fly with the canopy open.  I'm hoping for an update they disable open canopy in flight leads to instant crash for those of us that like to run with crash detection on but its a minor point. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Big Radials has in the future.     Nice job guys.  Also really cool stream with Fabio the other day.   Learned a lot both about the P40 and the people behind the project.

Edited by sergemodular
  • Like 1