Sign in to follow this  
who4ever

NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW GRAPHICS CARD

OK, thanks.  I will look into the 6GB cards mentioned.  A quick question.  When I start up FS, it actually starts.  The point where it stalls and closes is during the Checking For Updates.  Blue bar goes 50% across the bottom and then the program shuts, during the World Updates, Elevation lUpdates.  I can understand why a poor graphics card will not run the program but how would that affect downloading updates?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Whilst I would describe your system simply as very upgradeable, I am unconvinced that your system is the problem here.  If you look back at the early history of MSFS and all the install problems in its infancy, you will find a lot of people with better computer systems than yours, had this same problem.  I am unsure how they solved this but from memory, it stemmed from poor computers, not enough CPU or GPY memory, poor internet and various other problems.  If the cost of an upgrade (and I am sorry to break it to you, but in my humble opinion, you will have to be looking at upgrading everything in your system) is beyond you, then I would do some further research on the above. I think because you say, it does not get past the updates, the full power required by MSFS has not been reached.  For instance, if I have the FPS displayed, I am getting up to 598 FPS until I get to the opening page when it drops to about 120FPS. After I load my aircraft and departure airport, it then drops to about 40-45FPS and remains there during the flight.

In summary, in order to fully enjoy MSFS, I believe you have no real.alternative to a full upgrade (just upgrading your GPU is not going to achieve very much in the same way as just upgrading your RAM is not going to achieve much)  I do believe however, that upgrading your GPU, and in this instance, buy as powerful as you can possibly afford, is the best first step you can take, simply because it is the single component which will be compatible with a new motherboard, RAM and CPU, all of which will have to change with a really viable upgrade.

My best advice, is to research the install problems others faced in the early stages of MSFS.  Good luck and please keep us informed.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

10 hours ago, tpete61 said:

Put a question such as this on a forum and you are likely to get more confusing upgrade recommendations than necessary.

If you really want an honest answer purchase what you can afford not what others are recommending based on very limited knowledge of your usage and equipment.

As an example when I look at your computer specs I consider it quite average. Buying a new Video Card is going to solve little of your problems when it comes to playing this game.

But the fact remains that it needs 6 GIG OF vRAM to run at all.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

4 hours ago, who4ever said:

OK, thanks.  I will look into the 6GB cards mentioned.  A quick question.  When I start up FS, it actually starts.  The point where it stalls and closes is during the Checking For Updates.  Blue bar goes 50% across the bottom and then the program shuts, during the World Updates, Elevation lUpdates.  I can understand why a poor graphics card will not run the program but how would that affect downloading updates?

Thanks, Dave

It may be trying to unpack and load other stuff in the background and that is causing the crash ?

Or you may have an unrelated glitch in the updates that is not connected to the graphics at all. Really hard to tell.

20 hours ago, LGAVLGKO said:

In any case you should have at least 6gb VRAM and 32gb RAM.

System memory would be fine at 16GB if your on a tight budget

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

System memory would be fine at 16GB if your on a tight budget

If you are on a tight budget, yes it is adequate, however my RAM usage is 14-22 gb depending on the cloud coverage, the addons etc. If someone has to choose between graphics card and RAM upgrade,  by all means graphics card should be first priority.

• Upvote 1

Now is  not the time to buy PC hardware.  Videos cards are marked up over 100% of the norm.  Unless you can get a good deal on ebay I would wait it out till supplies allow the prices to drop to normal.

16 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

But the fact remains that it needs 6 GIG OF vRAM to run at all.

Well, I'm running it with a 1060 3GB and it loads and runs fine (2700X, 32GB RAM), not ideal but I was holding out to upgrade to a 3070 or 6800 card, but the prices are ridiculous (even looking at 2060 Super, or better, on ebay), so I'm going to have to wait until the summer (or later) to upgrade.

My fps is around 15-25 at 1440p, but I've stopped looking at fps as the sim runs smoothly and I can 'make do'.  I don't have live traffic or ai aircraft enabled but it is perfectly flyable with 3GB of VRAM.

Hope that helps

John

Try flying at KSFO with lots of clouds.

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

dup

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

GeForce RTX 2060 Best value for money and ideal for MSFS 2020 . Never had a problem with this cart and in New York I get 30fps!!! What I would also suggest is to increase your RAM to 32GB. Never had a CTD since.

Stelios

Stelios Christofides

1. Remove storage hard drives from PC
2. Sell old PC
3. Buy parts and build a new system from scratch (5800X, 32GB, 3080 Ti (soon))
4. Install storage hard drives
5. Install sim and go

Edited by Greazer
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

Now is  not the time to buy PC hardware.  Videos cards are marked up over 100% of the norm.  Unless you can get a good deal on ebay I would wait it out till supplies allow the prices to drop to normal.

There is never a good time, however, there is also no normal anymore. Who’s to say there ever will be again. Live for today. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John B said:

Well, I'm running it with a 1060 3GB and it loads and runs fine (2700X, 32GB RAM), not ideal but I was holding out to upgrade to a 3070 or 6800 card, but the prices are ridiculous (even looking at 2060 Super, or better, on ebay), so I'm going to have to wait until the summer (or later) to upgrade.

My fps is around 15-25 at 1440p, but I've stopped looking at fps as the sim runs smoothly and I can 'make do'.  I don't have live traffic or ai aircraft enabled but it is perfectly flyable with 3GB of VRAM.

Hope that helps

John

Drop down to 1080P.  With AA it still looks amazing and you'll get a nice little boost in fps.

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

There is never a good time, however, there is also no normal anymore. Who’s to say there ever will be again. Live for today. 

Maybe you could help him out with those deep pockets of yours!!