Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Surprised by Track IR

12 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I wouldn’t even call that debatable. I’d say it’s very non essential. It does seem totally unrealistic and over the top. Much rather like PMDG’s idea of wing flexing. 

Your particular setup must have been way out.   I spent the time to properly tune a profile that works well for  me,  and it's a completely natural experience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The general impression I am getting from people is that neither  VR hardware nor our PC hardware are quite there.  Anything less than an Index or G2 makes reading instruments an issue and running either of those in MSFS hammers even a 10900K/3080 system.   I am still thinking of getting one just for stuff where you do not need to read the instruments like bush bashing.

I think you need to get your Track IR set up properly. Never had any issue reading instruments. No effect on FPS either. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think you need to get your Track IR set up properly. Never had any issue reading instruments. No effect on FPS either. 

I think he was taking about VR, not track IR.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I was talking about VR headsets.

TrackIR is fine, though i do need to pause it and use a camera view to use the garmin with a mouse.

26 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I was talking about VR headsets.

TrackIR is fine, though i do need to pause it and use a camera view to use the garmin with a mouse.

Oh, OK.. I tried VR about 6 months ago, someone at work had a setup. About 5 minutes and that was enough for me. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

11 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

To those that have never tried it, I would say you don’t know what you are missing. You get used to it very quickly and yes, it is as important as a good set of flight controls (for me). Panning around using a hat switch is like flying using the keyboard. Track IR adds another dimension, a sense of realism. Probably the closest thing to VR without having VR.

You nailed it. I have an ultrawide screen, and it creates pretty great immersion. With the honeycomb products, and my Ipad for flight planning/tracking, I am not really into VR (I am sure it would be cool) as I like to see what I am grabbing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpe828 said:

You nailed it. I have an ultrawide screen, and it creates pretty great immersion. With the honeycomb products, and my Ipad for flight planning/tracking, I am not really into VR (I am sure it would be cool) as I like to see what I am grabbing!

Getting a 49" curved is an absolute game changer in terms of immersion and I've tried many things in my 20+ years of simming, including VR. 

• Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

19 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I find that interesting as it is pretty much identical to what you get with VR headsets. 

What version of trackIR were you using and what aspects of it did you find unrealistic ?

Because the human head and eyes don’t move like that. You can see so much in front of you without moving the head at all. And a side look doesn’t involving panning. We take quick glances in the real world, even large head movements with no visual view in between. Almost like a ‘snap’ view. 
To me, track IR is very painful to watch. 

1 hour ago, Doug47 said:

Because the human head and eyes don’t move like that. You can see so much in front of you without moving the head at all. And a side look doesn’t involving panning. We take quick glances in the real world, even large head movements with no visual view in between. Almost like a ‘snap’ view. 
To me, track IR is very painful to watch. 

Fair enough, it makes a friend of mine throw up, everyone experiences things differently.

However I am still unclear.

Are we talking about using trackir on a large curved monitor yourself or are you just watching someone else use it on a Youtube video ?   

If the first it takes a fair while to get used to it, initially it seems really odd,  but with a large monitor and minimal or no acceleration it is fairly realistic for me.

If we are talking about videos the two experiences are quite different, it is like the difference between riding a motocross bike yourself and watching a go-pro video attached to someone's helmet.

For me personally if the trackIR is out of action I go play something else. Everyone is different.

• Like 2

You have to activate TrackIR?

I have a TrackIR 5 I bought a decade ago and all I need is the TrackIR software installed to make it work. It's one with reflective bits on a baseball cap

1 hour ago, cantremember said:

I have a TrackIR 5 I bought a decade ago and all I need is the TrackIR software installed to make it work. It's one with reflective bits on a baseball cap

Same here. 

I've had TrackIR for many years, never registered anything. I also use the reflective version, never saw the need for the TrackClip Pro.

My favorite profile is Seth - Flight. Perfectly balanced for me.

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

8 hours ago, cantremember said:

Not with a trackIR 5.

I think the 3 camera and earlier need activation to work with the vector software.

I just cannot get on well with the metal Vector Clip that clips onto your cap. It always seems to pop itself off of my cap and I don't really like wearing caps anyway. I prefer using the Track Clip Pro that clips onto your headphones with the three LEDs.

It's odd though because even though I always use TrackIR myself in my Sims, I find it difficult to watch YouTube videos where people are using it, it's a different experience entirely and not a very pleasant one, it can make you feel dizzy. What get's me though is those people that upload videos that were made using VR when we, the viewer get no experience of what they're experiencing at all. 

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Not with a trackIR 5.

I think the 3 camera and earlier need activation to work with the vector software.

That is what I have, the older version which needs activation.