Sign in to follow this  
robert young

FSX RealAir SF260 is out!

>And so much for the FSX VC landing light "bug" in all but the>default planes. Landing lights are visible from the VC and>outside. Nice! Wonderful with TrackIR4!>>Bob..Bob, let's be fair here, shall we? Any model compiled with the new FSX xtomdl.exe and that uses the Attachpoint Tool to associate the fx_landing.fx effect file to the landing light polygon will work as expected.It is the "old FS SDK method" of using a Material named LIGHT_LAND or LIGHT_TAXI that doesn't work properly in FSX!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>And so much for the FSX VC landing light "bug" in all but>the>>default planes. Landing lights are visible from the VC and>>outside. Nice! Wonderful with TrackIR4!>>>>Bob..>>Bob, let's be fair here, shall we? Any model compiled with>the new FSX xtomdl.exe and that uses the Attachpoint>Tool to associate the fx_landing.fx effect file to the landing>light polygon will work as expected.>>It is the "old FS SDK method" of using a Material named>LIGHT_LAND or LIGHT_TAXI that doesn't work properly in FSX!Hi Bill,I wasn't trying to be unfair. I am pointing out that every FSX payware aircraft (updated or created specifically for FSX) I own will not show the landing lights in the VC view with the exception of the default aircraft. Until the SF260. I'm not a developer nor a modeler; I are a customer. :) And all I know is that I can see the darn runway at night from the VC panel because the landing lights are ON. I don't care if they cheated or faked it; it just works for the SF260! With animals running around in FSX now, it is a much safer landing in the VC view. LOL. And Happy Holidays Bill. Thanks.Bob...

Hi Bob,That's why we took a long time on this update. Everything except the nav lights are designed specifically for FSX. However, it is a shame that some legacy designs are not apparently working well in some areas where it seems to me it would have been easy to allow them to do so.Kind Regards,Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

All I can say is "WOW". Although I've always loved this plane in FS9, it has definitely risen to another level. I took the Gold and Black Left Seat up from my home airport, and the experience was no less than exhilarating. The control, the sharpness of the VC, the sounds, and the views (spot and all others) are all the epitome of high quality and realism. Beyond the realism and value, keep in mind that RealAir and Rob Young support their products to the highest level as well. I've had fast responses when I changed computers and lost registration keys, etc., and Rob has always stepped up and come to the rescue within hours. Great products and great support is what this hobby is all about.Finally, if RealAir can build with this much quality and not really affect frame rates, why can't everybody do it....including Microsoft?

Guest TPT82

I have purchased everything Real Air has offered for sale. I have never been disappointed. I just purchased the FSX SF260 this morning. I played with it for about an hour so far. Although I have not spent a lot of time with it. I am not disappointed with what I have seen so far.Based on what I have seen so far, and my past experience with Real Air products. I highly recommend it. Nick

Hi Stan,Thanks for your kind comments. I'm going to put a good word in here for my partner Sean Moloney, who was I believe the first designer to implement smooth gauges in FS9 and has a remarkable mind with a talent for lateral thinking and ways of solving problems which I still find awesome. We are a small but happy team, and Sean is half of it.Kind Regards,Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Rob,I agree with all that you say - BUT - I still hope that 2D panels never go away. Why? for multi-monitor setups. I use an LCD projector, with a screen mounted behind and above my desk, for the forward view, while putting the 2D panel on a 20" LCD display on the desk. This is actually how I fly most of the time, and a pure VC arrangement would not map to my configuration. I suspect other people with way more sophisticated "cockpit" setups would agree.Thanks for the xmas present,dB.>Hi David,>>It has been quite a hard task to persuade people to finally>ditch 2d panels, but thanks for taking the plunge!>>As you can see, our 2d "mode" within the 3d VC is actually>clearer, sharper, and a lot smoother, than most conventional>2d panels, especially if you have Anti Aliasing set (if you>can) at 4x, but it works well at 2x also.>>The "A" key views in FSX enable us to focus close in on the>panel in such a way that really makes traditional 2d panels>redundant. And the "A" key switching is so fast you do not>have to wait for the panel to load.....once the VC is loaded>all the other views are instantaneous.>>Kind Regards,>>Rob Young - RealAir Simulationshttp://fswidgets.com/img/beta_banner.jpg

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Thanks Curt. 75% down and I'm salivating! . . . well not really, but I'm breathing heavy. . my lovely wife said I could have - or do - ANYTHING for Christmas. . so I said "anything ? ? ?" hmmmm. . . ;)(Ok, Honey - later! I have to fly Rob's (and Sean's) SF260 right now!!!)(I love you, sweetheart! REALLY! No No - REALLY!!) :-coolHappy Holidays Everyone!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'd normally buy this plane so fast the numbers would melt on my credit card. But not this time. On my system FSX has all the charm of a leprous gorilla and I have given up trying to tweak it into some semblance of acceptable frame rates. I am really sorry to have to pass on an upgrade to one of the all time great add-ons, but there you go. Chalk up another lost sale to FSX!Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

It's beautiful Rob/Sean. Just had the first circuit over Seattle KSEA. What a WICKED spin!!! I'm glad I started at 3000' 'coz she lost 2000 before she recovered! That thing drops into a lazy "Oh, ok - if you want to spin I'll try . . " attitude - but after one turn she hesitates and then winds up REAL GUD! Wow - talk about tight. I need new underware now! Seriously, though - the VC and gauges are very good. The wing texture is magnificent - though not so the fuse, which - along with the cockpit - is a bit too "new" and unblemished for my taste. Most any real-world aeroplanes I've ever flown have been scratched, dented, dirty, grimy, smokey and smelly - and I miss that in this model. If you've flown the Safir or the Dornier 27 you'll understand my meaning. The sounds are excellent - particularly the runway sounds (ala the Spit). Rattling and rumbling are immersive; torque is realistic and manageable. I've only one short flight thus far, but I think she's up there with the Spit, the DF 727, MAAM's B25 and is a "keeper".Many thank guys.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I've been a fan of Rob's models since the Fly! days.I've purchased all the RealAir products for FS9 and will be doing so for FSX.I've only flown the upgraded FSX Left Seat version for about 20 minutes, but really love it. It took awhile to get used to the right seat only mode for FS9, but I like the flexibility we have for both left/right seat versions in FSX. Of course, the FSX flight dynamics, and new features in the FSX model are outstanding.THANKS REALAIR !!!JerryG

Guest ben_

NoelI was the same as you. FSX looks beautiful but the low rates were ruining it for me.I couldn't resist buying the upgrade to see what it was like.Left hand seat, wonderful sounds ..Alright what can I do to increase rates1: Lower settings - radius .. nope - scenery - buildings - spatrse - autogen - sparse ( have previously made only one tweak- - matt fox autogen as per suggestions in forum )2: nVidia 6600 256 - not even GT card or fsx settingg? - changed card AND fsx to SAME settings - anisotropic - AA thought this might increase rates but then thought maybe it takes away some confusion? - who knows3: DEFRAG - the hd looked a mess after the sf260 installationRESULTI don't know if any of above helped less or moreBUTTook her for a SPIN ( sorry) and frames stayed round 20 all the time ( country airport - but I was aftersmooth flying experince)- BEAUTIFULDo yourself a favor if you have fsx, the sounds and feelingduring the buffet/spin start/spin can't adequately be describedin wordsBenp4 3.01G RAMnVidea 6600 256MB1024x768

>I'd normally buy this plane so fast the numbers would melt on>my credit card. But not this time. On my system FSX has all>the charm of a leprous gorilla and I have given up trying to>tweak it into some semblance of acceptable frame rates. I am>really sorry to have to pass on an upgrade to one of the all>time great add-ons, but there you go. Chalk up another lost>sale to FSX!>In my case I ugraded to a different, but not the most powerful CPU for FSX & X-Plane with global scenery. The fact that FS9 runs faster with more options is an added benefit!Contrary to statements on the FS9 board, I do not believe that FSX is all that a simulator can be. It has great pluses and numerous negatives. I use FS9 in quite a few scenarios where FSX suffers.What I do get out of FSX is a near constant and smooth 25 fps, with a few dips to the lower 20's and a quick 17 fps or so, when banking quickly with city scenery below. I do a lot of flying around city/mountain areas, but this isn't bush flight. Auto-gen and water effects are off. And, as FSX differs from FS9 with it's high resolution photo-type textures, and this actually has benefits, look wise; and is actually my preference. My scenery & aircraft (looks) sliders are on the high side.And with that said, the FSX version of the SF260 not only looks better in FSX, but performs better too. The difference is very noticeable, and well worth it.I find it interesting, but not surprising, that some can only wish that FS9 could use FSX's new high resolution texture format. And now some might wish, that the improved flight dynamics available for FSX could be used in FS9 too. But it doesn't appear to be the case. So, unlike a few others, I'm willing to compromise by using two simulations of MSFS, to get the best out of each. Any way you look at it, you won't be seeing FSX's high res textures in FS9, and you won't be getting the best flight dynamics available. As to the statement "Chalk up another lost sale to FSX!"; my wife has just completed a psychology course for her employer. You would be known as "playing the victim", as you actually have choices but choose not to act on them! :7 L.AdamsonAthlon 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600 256MB/1600*1200*32 res./21"CRT monitor