Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

High CPU temperatures PLUS bad performance

4 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

Hyperfocal,

Thanks for your interest.

I'm running a  i7-9700k at 4.6 cooled by a Corsair H100i Platinum.  I run P3D v4.5, X-plane 11.5, and DCS.  In none of these sims does this CPU rise above 75 degrees at any time. Average is in the 50's.

I've had the same issue.  It was resolved by adding more cooling (simply adding more fans).  The cooling on your system is insufficient.  I though my cooling was top of the line too.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and and your useful insights into this temperature  issue.

I'll just update you on the present situation. 

I loaded a flight from London City in the Waco with settings set to High with the exception of "Volumetric Clouds" which was set to "Low".  I wanted to test the sim over complex scenery in a simple plane because that is where its usefulness is supposed to reside.

About five minutes into the flight, the sim stopped abruptly and went to the screen with the 172 picture and the blue line at the bottom.   That blue line moved very slowly for 2 minutes during which my CPU temps stayed in the mid 90's.  Since the blue line was not close to finishing and I was not prepared to let this continue any longer I closed MSFS in the only way available--through the task manager.

I appreciate the input from those who suspect a hardware cooling issue, but it just doesn't seem likely to me that that is where the problem lies.  The reason I say this is that the only way to get  average temperatures over 60 on my rig is to load MSFS and have it crash like this as it almost always does.  No other sim nor app of any kind  gets remotely near these temps.  

I'd like to look on the bright side of this but my wife is kind enough to fry my bacon and eggs in a skillet.

Edited by TASCHMANN

common people...stop feeding the troll

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

23 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

CPU temps are fluctuating between 95 and 100 degrees for several minutes at a time.

Mine has peaked at 100 degrees across a couple of cores but only momentarily. It coincides with enormous stutters that have only started happening since the UK release, exacerbated by the sim update last week.

And no, I haven't seen this behaviour in any other game or program.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat

43 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

It coincides with enormous stutters that have only started happening since the UK release, exacerbated by the sim update last week.

The odd thing in my case is I haven't seen any stutters, just fps in the low to mid 20's over London where I used to get about 40.

My CPU barely gets warm and stays under 25% usually.  GPU stays > 95% but stays cool. 

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

You have to wonder if there is more to it than just load and the sim has some issue with thermal problematic AVX instructions  (unlike most other games MSFS apparently does use AVX) .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

7 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

The odd thing in my case is I haven't seen any stutters, just fps in the low to mid 20's over London where I used to get about 40.

I just get micro stutters in places it is playing up. 

No actual long freezes, but when banking the horizon seems jerky like you are at 10 FPS, even though the actual FPS according to the in game FPS counter is more like 30 FPS (this is in places I normally would expect 50 FPS - so micro stutters and an FPS drop),

• Like 1

I had a similar problem 2 weeks ago.

I was reading some articles about resizable bar and saw that to run this I had to flash my motherboard bios. So I did and everything went smooth. This is irelevant to MSFS but it was the resaon for my problem.

When running MSFS I sometimes check my temps with GPU-Z and as I was flying the CPU temps went up to 95C.

I could feel the right back side of my PC case was heating up. So I shut everthing down and took the PC pannels of.

I found that my 2 front case fans were not running. After changing some setting in the bios all temps are back to max 65C

A system running at such temps is not going to lasty long.

Edited by hansb57

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

On 3/16/2021 at 1:02 AM, TASCHMANN said:

It's one thing when this sim shows a pattern of decline with each update; it is immeasurably worse when this incompetent coding presents a danger to expensive hardware.  CPU temps are fluctuating between 95 and 100 degrees for several minutes at a time.

You have thermal throttling and your CPU is lowering clock and voltage. This is a hardware issue and has nothing to do with MSFS.

On my system the sim barely uses 6 threads, of which 1 60-70% and the others 10-15%, with a temperature that never exceeds 60 °C. I wish it were able to stress the CPU so much, it would have much better performance!

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I have the stutter bug too, but the cpu temperature doesn't rise much. A cpu getting too hot under stress is a hardware problem. 

• Like 1

Not only a hot CPU, but my GPU has been getting hotter than it was too.  I thought that some CPU or GPU throttling may be going on causing peoples intermittent stutters at first, but I've tested this and can always replicate the stutters in the same places.  Those places seem to be close to airports on approach and takeoff and around photogrammetry areas in the main (though a few seem to be quite random).

So it surely has to be scenery downloading or scenery processing I feel.  Zendesk telling users to backoff on the rendering slider would seem to support this theory.

I would like to know what you feel are reasonable/safe temperatures for a 5600x CPU and an RTX3070 videocard as a matter of interest as this equipment is fairly new to me. I'm experimenting with a mild GPU o/c at the moment, but I'm told that there is not much gain to be had from overclocking AMD CPUs.

My normal approach to overheating is to try running with the side of the case off before I start adding extra fans. I also tend to o/c more aggressively when my equipment is nearing time for replacement

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

23 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I would like to know what you feel are reasonable/safe temperatures for a 5600x CPU and an RTX3070 videocard as a matter of interest as this equipment is fairly new to me. I'm experimenting with a mild GPU o/c at the moment, but I'm told that there is not much gain to be had from overclocking AMD CPUs.

With regard to the 3070, I messed up in afterburner and accidently applied a fixed 25% fan profile and the card shot up to just over 90 degrees and thermal throttled. No harm done as the throttling kicked in.  This suggests to me that the lowish 80 degree region is probably acceptable but personally I have tried to keep mine down around 70 to 75 maximum .

24 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

With regard to the 3070, I messed up in afterburner and accidently applied a fixed 25% fan profile and the card shot up to just over 90 degrees and thermal throttled. No harm done as the throttling kicked in.  This suggests to me that the lowish 80 degree region is probably acceptable but personally I have tried to keep mine down around 70 to 75 maximum .

Hmm. I noticed mine went up to 86 degrees yesterday on auto fan though it was running nice and cool when I accidentally set the fanspeed to 60%

I have 3 presets in afterburner. 1. Mining, 2. Normal and 3. MSFS experimental (which I have slowly been increasing until I see problems like overheating, artifacts, etc.

🙂

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)