Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Strong sales of CRJ may lead holdout devs to prioritize MSFS

7 hours ago, FlyingInACessna said:

I got that it was sarcasm, but the sarcasm I detected was that you were joking about there even being any improvements to the SDK. There have been, and they've been steadily coming each week.

Glad we're at least on the same page lol

yea sarcasm was aimed at PMDG 🙂 SDK is good, and improving. What they lack is documentation, but they have a tech writer that basically work 24/7 lol. That a position i WOULD NOT want to have 😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WestAir said:

The amazing crew at FBW said they were in talks with Asobo over getting the SDK to allow them to implement a working weather radar with tilt etc, as they can't do it themselves. I guess this quote from Captain Randazzo means PMDG have a work around that the FBW team haven't figured out, or something. I dunno, I'm just trying to put the pieces together as best I can.

I'd interprete it that way - there are some hurdles, but nothing that will prevent highly complex aircraft in MSFS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

On 3/25/2021 at 8:02 AM, eslader said:

I was actually thinking about this last night some more. It strikes me that PMDG is already doing the tiered approach. You can pay $140 for the 747 base package, which is just another way of saying tier 1. Then if you want the 747-8 -- tier 2 -- you pay $70 more. And PMDG found a way to add value to that. While a lesser company would simply change the visual model to stretch the hump and fuse and maybe, if they were thinking about it, remove the winglets and add the rakes, PMDG, on the other hand, changed pretty much everything that changed on the real -8. That's a proper tier-2 option for the 747 package, and it works because in order to produce it they actually had to do extra work, thus justifying charging extra for it while not charging *less* for the -400-only tier 1 setup.

Sort of. The issue is, 140 dollars is already study-level pricing, isn't it?

Just because they aren't giving you the tier levels you want doesn't mean they aren't tiering the product. Rolls Royce tiers their products too. I can't afford the cheapest tier, but that doesn't mean Rolls should start making econoboxes. 

I don't see how PMDG could come out with a, say, Carenado price level and still have a product that would be worth buying. After all, there's already a cheaper 737 and 747 available from iFly, and if PMDG cut features and made a lower tier, they'd just be competing with those guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not a businessman, and my reasoning is purely layman, but it seems like it might be prudent for PMDG and others with proper Tier Pricing to implement a pyramid pricing.

747-400: $140
---> 747-800: $70, if 744 is owned.

747-800: $140
---> 747-400: $70, if 748 is owned.

In this way the customer gets what they're after at the cheapest price always, and if they want to branch out, can do so at the discount price.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, hjsmuc said:

I guess everybody and then some bought the CRJ hoping for a complete aircraft, better than the FBW 320. For me, some knobs more to turn don't make a complete aircraft. But I remember that I had to wait years for their 318/319 for Prepar3D to become almost complete. I basically got it shortly before MSFS invited me to Alpha. Funny, sort of. I consider my 50 EUR for the CRJ currently as a donation for further development. Next time I'll sit in one I'll try to ask the pilot if this thing is really so hard to fly. 

What's hard to fly about it? It's a treasure to hand fly the full approach, something I doubt many people are doing in larger tubes.

• Like 2