Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Strong sales of CRJ may lead holdout devs to prioritize MSFS

10 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

Yea aparently the SDK has magically improved overnight 😄

Or .. steady improvement over the course of many months;  A thinking man would say, nothing magical about it.  

Edited by Tierborn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, regis9 said:

Pure speculation, but perhaps the CRJ sales were so unexpectedly good that the business case suddenly became much stronger for PMDG to expedite MSFS development, even if the current state of the SDK/MSFS coding would require them to invest more resources than they had hoped into early MSFS aircraft.

He title, "Strong sales of CRJ may lead holdout devs to prioritize MSFS".  The operative words was MAY LEAD.  So yes his opinion.

Just now, Tierborn said:

Or .. steady improvement on the course of many months;  A thinking man would say, nothing magical about it.  

Yup, that was a bloody long night. Apparently it started last August and finished last week. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

24 minutes ago, Tierborn said:

Or .. steady improvement over the course of many months;  A thinking man would say, nothing magical about it.  

Folks who are actual 3DP developers and have access to the private comms with Asobo may have more info but... I've installed the last 3 or 4 versions of the SDK and really didn't see a ton of new stuff in there.  Certainly nothing that leaped out at me "now PMDG has all their prayers answered".

If they are just giving out info as answers to single questions instead of improving the overall documentation, that doesn't seem very effective to me.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

3 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

The stock G1000 has both weather radar and synthetic vision, and is written in JS/HTML.

Synthetic vision is drawn by the core sim as part of the base map layer, it isn't something the gauges themselves have access to.   If you don't use the the stock PFD logic you don't get synthetic vision.   And, yeah, as noted, the current radar is drawing clouds, not actually drawing the weather.  Those are true shortcomings, at least for the moment.

1 hour ago, RXP said:

And even if I'm also claiming I'd like Asobo to push the JS/HTML layer first (if not only) to 3rd party devs, and I'd like them ditching the WASM layer (1), you can't also deny the JS/HTML layer can only go as far as they think 3rd party devs are needing and doing, and it is not always the most efficient way (2).

I couldn't agree with you more on the JS layer needing to be a first-class citizen.  Without getting into specifics, we feel very much the same way at WT and we'd like to make a difference there.

I don't necessarily think there's a need to ditch WASM, but -- speaking entirely for my own personal opinion -- the JS layer should be at parity, and should be the first to the table for new features.  In my mind it's part of the democratization of sim development that we're passionate about.

It might be uncharitable to say that the WASM interface was provided entirely as a sop to legacy code, but it would at least have a definite strain of truth in it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DavidP said:

Too many people commenting are letting their prejudices get the better of them 🙄

AVSIM Debate Tactics 101

After falling on the losing side of the debate start hurling insults to purposely sabotage the thread you dislike so it can be either locked or moved elsewhere by staff.

Never fails here...

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

6 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Yes, but it's the timing.  For ages they have been moaning about how "incomplete" the SDK is and hedging their bets way into 2021 for getting anything out.  (Much to the glee of the in-house P3D trolls who took this as prime evidence of MSFS just being a "scenery simulator", natch.)

Then the CRJ comes out, everyone talks about nothing but for a while, and suddenly there's this sea change to "Everything we said is old news, things are peachy now and we're going to be working as hard as we can on it" when, in reality, the only notable change in the environment recently has been the release of the CRJ and its reception.

I don't blame them a bit, of course, it's a smart decision to make.  The timing in relation to other events just makes it funny, that's all.

Since you are working directly with Asobo now and you have a chance to be inside the "loop", if you ever hear about why PMDG changed their heart about the SDK, please let us know the inside story 😁

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 hours ago, eslader said:

PMDG have been saying since long before release day that they'd be bringing their planes to MSFS. So I'm not sure what your definition of "finally" is, but you might need to revise it. 

They said that and then last fall, they decided to switch their priority to P3D products again and shelve their work on MSFS (at least the way I read that comment implied that they would shelve their efforts on MSFS indefinitely). You can go to the PMDG forums and search for that comment from last fall.

The fact that now they are resuming their efforts on an airliner for MSFS and even prioritizing it is almost a 180 degree turn from their comments last fall.

5 hours ago, DavidP said:

I love the conspiracy theorists.

Seriously, people like PMDG, FSL etc. are businesses.

Do you really think that if they had what they needed to tap into the market now, they would hold back and not take advantage of a new revenue stream? 

Too many people commenting are letting their prejudices get the better of them 🙄

But that's what PMDG did though, compared to say, Aerosoft.  Aerosoft had always made getting their CRJ out for MSFS a priority and they were prioritizing their CRJ since last fall.  From the comments last fall, PMDG seemed to imply they would shelve their efforts on MSFS, citing the SDK as the reason.  What's interesting is that Aerosoft didn't really say the SDK was a huge impediment to their efforts but PMDG did (I recall Mr. Kok of Aerosoft saying there were some issues with the SDK but nothing so severe that Aerosoft needed to stop their work on the CRJ).

Of course the release of the CRJ changed PMDG's tune all of a sudden.  I don't doubt that the SDK improved for WASM over the last few months. But as the WT devs and FBW devs have said all along, the tools are there to create high fidelity aircraft provided the developer is willing to use new coding methodology (ie. Javascript & HTML).  In any case, companies base their decisions on $$$ and it's entirely logical that PMDG saw the $$$ that Aerosoft made on the CRJ and this factored into PMDG's decisions to prioritize MSFS again.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Since you are working directly with Asobo now and you have a chance to be inside the "loop", if you ever hear about why PMDG changed their heart about the SDK, please let us know the inside story 😁

Hehe.   If I had any such knowledge on this topic that wasn't public I assure you I'd probably feel obliged to stay out of this thread to avoid even the appearance of any impropriety.  🙂

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tierborn said:

it was a reaction to PMDG suddenly waking up, ive been using the sdk everyday for the past 4 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Nah. I think PMDG's name is associated with a certain level and they are not willing to move the bar much lower. To them, it's either doing it their way or no way at all. 

And this is how, eventually, you "do" yourself out of business. 

• Like 3

Well I think this topic is about current dev's for other platforms creating products for MSFS, instead or with the the current sims they develop for. But what about the NEW dev's such as FBW or WT, as far as I know they never made a major Mod, or anything for another platform, right @kaosfere ? But something got them excited about developing or creating mods for MSFS. There has to be other talented people, no offense @kaosfere, that are very talented people ( like the guy for the XP-11 Zibo ), that are in the background, learning, getting teams together, etc... and seeing if they can make something for MSFS that people will like and make it freeware, or a NEW company is born for payware. Or they can try at least to pull it off. I'm not a scenery buying person, but I have seen a lot ( to me ) of NEW companies making scenery in the MarketPlace, etc... Of course I could be wrong and they have been around forever?

There are all types of 3rd party items people want for MSFS. There are so many I couldn't even imagine what they are. For some ( like me ) most of the default stuff is fine, and I can wait for updates, fixes, whatever and however long it takes. For others, they want 3rd party everything and will spend their last dime to get them. And good for them, if that's what they prefer.

So where are you NEW 3rd party developers? There's room for you all or should be. Some will succeed and some will fail. But I hope a lot will try 🙂

Enjoy all the sim(s) you fly!

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 2

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Don`t worry simmers at the present rate you will be able to blow a few grand on addons in just a short time more so than FSX, And when MSFS get saturated with addons some Devs will look back to the other sims still being developed. There`s no MSFS 2 coming for a new platform to sell for.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg