Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Navigraph FMC Database

I'm a bit at a loss on the possible use of Navigraph Database as a substitute of the default MSFS navdata. The main reason behind my interest is to make sure of having a single and common updatable database for MSFS, SimBrief, Little NavMap and FS Tramp which I also use occasionally.

Anyone has tested compatibility of Navigraph with MSFS and if you could replace the default MSFS navdata with Navigraph?. As far as I know, there was a beta period of testing that I don't exactly know if it was concluded or the thing is still in testing.

Thanks!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I've just swapped to the Navigraph database for the same reason, easy enough to install - seems to integrate pretty seamlessly. 

G

Edit: Still seems to be in beta... so separate application to download!

Edited by Gazzareth

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I'm a bit at a loss on the possible use of Navigraph Database as a substitute of the default MSFS navdata. The main reason behind my interest is to make sure of having a single and common updatable database for MSFS, SimBrief, Little NavMap and FS Tramp which I also use occasionally.

Anyone has tested compatibility of Navigraph with MSFS and if you could replace the default MSFS navdata with Navigraph?. As far as I know, there was a beta period of testing that I don't exactly know if it was concluded or the thing is still in testing.

Thanks!

Navigraph works fine and easy to install to MSFS. Just copy the folder under Community.  But adds 4-5 minutes additional loading time depending on your system.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

7 minutes ago, kt069 said:

But adds 4-5 minutes additional loading time depending on your system.

That's interesting, but somehow disturbing. It's an additional loading time just for the first-time installation or at every start of your simulator?.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Life is full of additional disturbances. (at least that's what I've noticed after 70+ years)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

7 minutes ago, edpatino said:

That's interesting, but somehow disturbing. It's an additional loading time just for the first-time installation or at every start of your simulator?.

I never noticed any significant change and I've been using the betas since day one. Had really no  effect on my load times at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

27 minutes ago, edpatino said:

At every start 😞 

Navigraph data is totally a small amount in size but too much files, all replacing MSFS native data. Therefore, it takes that much time on every load. I disable it via Addons Lİnker when I am not intending to use.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Same here, can't confirm any additional loading time. Works great since day one.

• Like 1

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

27 minutes ago, edpatino said:

It's there for every start, it's because the navdata adds a bunch of files to the community folder that the sim needs to read every startup.   I think the delay depends very highly on your system and what kind of drive you have the sim on.  For me, loading off an NVMe SSD, the increased time with the data active is 30 seconds or so.

Or, it was when I started using it right around release.  It's possible it's been optimized since then, I'd need to try starts with and without the current version to see.

Edited by kaosfere

36 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I never noticed any significant change and I've been using the betas since day one. Had really no  effect on my load times at all.

+1²  (what he said)

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Since I'm all about empiricism, I went ahead and did an experiment, loading the sim with and without the latest version of the navdata installed.   First I started it and shut it down right away, so the second run didn't have any unfair advantage from disk or memory caching.  I disabled everything in the community folders, but left a number of Marketplace planes and airports installed.  This is with the Premium edition.

In both cases it was about 1 minute and 15 seconds from clicking the quick launch button to the first "World Update" screen.   From there, without nav data, it was another 40 seconds to the main menu.  With nav data that took 56.   So either the data's been optimized slightly or the way the sim loads it has, but there's been a little improvement since it was released.

This was on an i7-9700k at stock frequencies (stability is more important to me than top speed), with the system mostly idle at about 15% CPU baseline and 16 of 32GB of RAM free, and the sim loading off a 970 Evo NVMe disk.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

but there's been a little improvement since it was released.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your different experiences. It's strange it hasn't been optimized in this regard.

Cheers, Ed

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Thanks to all of you for sharing your different experiences. It's strange it hasn't been optimized in this regard.

It adds a few second on my system (15-20) but certainly not 4-5 minutes. Game is installed on an NVMe drive, not a HDD, so that helps.

A quick question guys.

I have it installed and it appears to be working fine.  My question is, if you put it into the community folder, does MSFS automatically default to Navigraph or do I have to specifically ask MSFS to default to Navigraph

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.