Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

Version and licence question

Hi,

I could not find a question to this on the P3D website, but if I were to buy a Professional V5 licence, does that also entitle me to use the Professional version 3 and 4 or do I have buy a licence specifically just for those older versions? Also, if I want a version of P3D which doesn't so much add a whole heap of new actual features over FSX-SE and is simply what one might call evolution and improvements versus revolution, would that be version 3 or version 4? I'm thinking of things that annoy me in FSX-SE such as the small autogen popup distances, the loss of performance every single time your mouse pointer is used on screen, native DX10 support out of the box, etc. I believe these sorts of things were solved in P3D but I am not sure which version.

And a final question. Would a weather theme designed for FSX-SE work "as is" in P3D without any issues?

Thanks

I think you need to read this post: 

• Upvote 2

🛩️ Brian Houghton

System: P3D V5.3 HF2, Intel i7-9700K o/c to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD, 2x1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, MSI Z390 M/B, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2,Samsung UHD 43" LED TV, Benq 27" HD monitor.

2nd PC: Networked for atc, charts, and streaming. Intel i7 4790k 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 2070 Super, Samsung 970 Evo, 2x sata drives, MSI Z970 M/B, 32Gb G.skills DDR3 Ram, Win 10 Pro 21H2, 2x Benq 27" Monitors

I am well aware of that your royal highness. No need for the lecture. If I simply cannot ask a purely technical question about whether I can download and use an older version then there is something terribly wrong with people and policies here. I don't believe the intend of that policy was to preclude a fundamental technical question as to what I get and can download and use when I spend my money.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Actually your answer is on the p3d website.

And no need for the sarcasm. But since you asked. You need to pay separately for each license

🛩️ Brian Houghton

System: P3D V5.3 HF2, Intel i7-9700K o/c to 4.5Ghz, Nvidia RTX 3080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD, 2x1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, MSI Z390 M/B, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit 21H2,Samsung UHD 43" LED TV, Benq 27" HD monitor.

2nd PC: Networked for atc, charts, and streaming. Intel i7 4790k 4 Ghz, Nvidia GTX 2070 Super, Samsung 970 Evo, 2x sata drives, MSI Z970 M/B, 32Gb G.skills DDR3 Ram, Win 10 Pro 21H2, 2x Benq 27" Monitors

Hi JonP01,

Did just that journey myself.

And P3D is essentually what FSX would have become had FSX continued developement.

I moved from FSX disk, to FSX-SE, P3D v3 and have P3D v4.5 as my main sim with P3D v5 as a test sim awaiting till it matures enough to be of value to myself.

Personally I'm very happy with P3D v4.5, does everything I want and is tuned to the limits of my hardware, it fixes all the thngs you speak about, supports DX11 and more.

I don't think you'll have any issues with a weather theme, not that I use them much, but I have on occasion swapped across to Orbx ones and have noticed no issue.

The main difference to consider is x86 or x64, plus be aware each major point version release will be a new purchase, for example I initially bought P3D v3, then had to re-purchase v4 and v5 but each minor point update is a no charge update, so for v4 I started with 4.3 and am now running v4.5 HF3 which were all free updates.

If you purchase P3D v3 you'll be on x86 which will be the most compatible with FSX given FSX-SE is 32bit.

However I really wouldn't consider it a viable option now that x64 is mainsteam. As an example in FSX-SE and P3D v3 I had to carefully manage what I was loading into the sim to avoid an OOM crash, whereas with P3D v4.5 being x64, I don't even give it a second thought and comfortably load ~900GB worth of scenery and addins and nary an OOM ever.

Another point to consider is if you've 32bit addins (like aircraft), these won't work in P3D v4+, nor will any Steam Purchased addins (they are DRM locked), that said there are often x64 versions of the addin freely available or for a nominal fee and you can even migrate some of the FSX-SE default aircraft over to P3D because P3D v4+ has recompiled gauges and such that the aircraft use, for example I have the famous Trike and the default C172 from FSX-SE running in P3D v4 no probs.

I have written a few posts along that journey, here's one you might find useful.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/1489992080507529815/#c1621726179574247286

And just recently a post on kitting out a P3D v4.5 sim, same would apply to P3D v5.

Cheers R

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I would advise buy P3D V5  , for starters  DX12 an why buy an old model when the latest is the same price...

Jorge

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the very detailed reply Rogen. With the weather themes it would actually be my own program I wrote for FSX (back in the days last decade when sitting writing code for 12 hours a day was fun and relatively easy on the body and brain). Since I have had to make some minor changes to it over the years anyway, if for some reason P3D stumbles on the themes I generate I can probably figure out what has gone wrong. However since the exact same BGL compiler my program uses is still used for P3D I am probably OK.

So it sounds like I will probably go for Version 4.x since yes, the other reason is 64 bit. It would seem pointless trying to eek more out of the 32 bit platform. I have already had my share of memory related issues and I wasn't even drastically pushing things. I have just read enough things about the current version 5 to hold off a bit or at least till I build a whole new machine which is a while off yet. Bottom line is that this point I basically just want to "port" everything I have in FSX - precisely as it is now - to P3D - and worry about future upgrades and enhancements down the track.

I am not overly adverse to buying the new "whole number" versions down the track since in the scheme of things and the overall cost, when you consider a new computer and Virtual Fly Yoke, Quadrant and pedals will cost me literally many thousands by the time they allland on the doorstep, the cost of P3D itself is the least significant factor. OF course I do not have to buy any more ORBX stuff and my Milviz aircraft is dual licence too. I think I only have to worry about my A2A stuff.

I might be strapped for cash at the moment (which is mainly why I have stuck with FSX all this time) but when I get my hands on my superannuation I will be comfortable in life so will be able to afford the new generation CPUs, GPUs and monitors, etc that I used to be able to get back in my working days.

Again thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

28 minutes ago, JonP01 said:

Thanks for the very detailed reply Rogen. With the weather themes it would actually be my own program I wrote for FSX (back in the days last decade when sitting writing code for 12 hours a day was fun and relatively easy on the body and brain). Since I have had to make some minor changes to it over the years anyway, if for some reason P3D stumbles on the themes I generate I can probably figure out what has gone wrong. However since the exact same BGL compiler my program uses is still used for P3D I am probably OK.

So it sounds like I will probably go for Version 4.x since yes, the other reason is 64 bit. It would seem pointless trying to eek more out of the 32 bit platform. I have already had my share of memory related issues and I wasn't even drastically pushing things. I have just read enough things about the current version 5 to hold off a bit or at least till I build a whole new machine which is a while off yet. Bottom line is that this point I basically just want to "port" everything I have in FSX - precisely as it is now - to P3D - and worry about future upgrades and enhancements down the track.

A lot of FSX add-ons do not port directly into P3D, and especially so from 32-bit FSX to 64-bit P3D.  The most successes I've had are with FSX scenery add-ons that were originally designed for FSX and not ported up from FS9 and earlier.  Of course none of the FSX sceneries will take advantage of PBR, dynamic lighting and such, at least not without significant modification--and you should expect to encounter many issues with ground textures, lighting, incompatible building models, improperly set draw flags in AFCADs etc etc  along the way.

So you should anticipate a mixed bag when it comes to porting over what you have...some clear successes, some compromises, and some obvious failures.  From my own experiences on this journey through the version jungle 'I basically just want to "port" everything I have in FSX - precisely as it is now - to P3D' is likely to prove an unattainable goal.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Well the FSX-SE install I currently have is based on out of the box upon which I added ORBX scenery and Milviz / A2A aircraft. So they are all multi-installer products (bar A2A) and from the checking I have done will install into the 64 bit P3D v4. I don't have any other add-ons at all - I have kept the add-ons restricted to those three companies only. So far as I can tell it is just A2A where I have to purchase the extra licence / installer for P3D since all the other products are contained in the one installer and my licence covers the multi-installers. If anything I get one ORBX scenery for "free" since I accidentally and stupidly bought a P3D only airport from ORBX on one of the sales last year and it has been sitting there un-installed and un-used ever since...

But once P3D is running I intend to go all out and buy some serious hardware from Virtual Fly. And if I am spending thousands on that I might as well do it all properly from the start.

14 hours ago, aeronauta said:

I would advise buy P3D V5  , for starters  DX12 an why buy an old model when the latest is the same price...

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

Since I am not going to P3D immediately I will keep that in mind however I am not sure how many of the add-ons I have are P3D v5 ready, whereas all of them are definitely P3D v4 ready. Just as an example, Diamond Point (2WA1) is up to v4 but not v5 according to the website. But many ORBX are now P3D v5 - just not all. Perhaps by the time I am ready to do this everything will be v5 ready in which case with a new computer , GPU and appropriate monitor then yes, v5 makes the most sense.

I am not busting a gut to do this yesterday so if some waiting is involved it is not a big deal (I've been FSX-ing for 14 years now...). ORBX, A2A and Milviz are obviously very committed to both P3D and the new MSFS so my hope is all products will eventually work under v5.

Anyway, the price of the current top end GPUs and my usual practice of buying the high end performance from the previous generation at a much lower price, a wait is possibly a good strategy.

Thanks for the commonsense suggestion - I appreciate it as you guys have all been through the upgrade shift to P3D from FSX so you are all way ahead of me.

If I were you I would want the latest P3D version, in this case v5.

Why would you want to buy an older version ? 
With newer hardware performance is better than v4 and TrueSky clouds look more real. Sure it is under development but will get better with each free v5 update.

V4 looks very nice and if you have then you could choose to stay with that. But if you have to choose between v4 and v5 for the same money for me the choice would be very easy :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qsjkhheq7trtd/Foto 03-02-2021 08 42 04.jpg?dl=0

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

Why would you want to buy an older version ? 

I have also moved from V4 to V5, but the hardware requirements are different!

If you have a GPU with 6+ GB VRAM, V5 is a good option... but V4 will happily run in 4 GB..

Not sure what hardware the OP is running..

Bert

GPU is definitely a factor. Which ever version you decide on (I would definitely suggest V5 if you have the hardware to run it ) you can keep your FSX with all your addons until your new sim is like you want it. No law says you have to uninstall your present sim because you bought another one unless you're like one guy who said "Sims are like women, one's not enough and two is one too many."

Vic green

7 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

No law says you have to uninstall your present sim because you bought another one unless you're like one guy who said "Sims are like women, one's not enough and two is one too many."

Currently I have P3D v3, v4 and v5 installed. No, I'm not mad. 😁 v3 is there purely for FS Labs Concorde, v4 was used for a couple of years and v5 was bought a month ago. Once I'm happy that v5 has all my v4 scenery then v4 will go and v3 will go as soon as FSL release a 64-bit Concorde.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather