Sign in to follow this  
ShortFinal

X-Plane looks horrible. How to improve it?

Look don't take this personally but there has been a few instances where you predictions did not turn out to be correct, say for example when you said one would need to buy a supercomputer to run MSFS, or when you said Vulkan would be out in October '19. 

Anyway, the point of my message was, do you happen to know anything about XP11+1 that you can share?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peroni said:

supercomputer to run MSFS,

actually, i said you'd be need to spend into the high end of four figures to get decent/acceptable performance.

That was only wrong because even if you have an rtx3090 (currently selling for around $4000) you still wont get a stable 60fps (to which the usual reponse was they dont care about 60fps and 24fps is "fine" - lol)

1 hour ago, peroni said:

when you said Vulkan would be out in October '19. 

it was?

1 hour ago, peroni said:

Look don't take this personally

what's to take personally? 

1 hour ago, peroni said:

anything about XP11+1 that you can share?

there's a new build of xp11 already doing the rounds which i guess will be public soon.

they still are not ready to share any more details of the next gen stuff that isnt already on

https://feedback.x-plane.com/

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

It was getting quiet

It used to be the same 2 people screaming how bad X-Plane is.  One of them has been put in his place.  Hopefully, the other one will follow.

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

there's a new build of xp11 already doing the rounds which i guess will be public soon.

XP11?? That's no good. Where's XP12? That's what I'm holding on for. Fiddling about with XP11 won't wash.

Edited by jarmstro

On 5/31/2021 at 7:43 AM, mSparks said:

MSFFS got one thing right so far, it has great first impressions. I'd say The OP is fairly typical of the average user coming into xplane having seen what it can do:OMG this looks awful how do I get it like the videos.

Users who haven't seen what it can do just give up quickly.

Not so, people don't like chasing rainbows...

They want a good foundation from the start, and something that the DEV will be dedicated to build upon. The idea of buying a sim, then going on freeware and payware sites to get addons to make it look halfway decent is not appealing.

What XP can do....can be done elsewhere....but apparently XP can't keep up with modern graphics...which is something that the market is also looking for...stock.

• Like 2

At this point I'm reasonably sure the xbox release is going to be delayed by a fairly significant amount. If you think a few grumpy old men can up with ingenious ways to criticize things that annoy them, you aint seen nothing yet; they are babies to the xbox crew spending mom and dads credit card expecting perfect instant gratification and the flawless graphics they were promised. 

All of this speculation has nothing to do with the fact that MSFS has over 2M users and the funding, support to make an X-Box version. ALL of this development by Asobo and XP could barely get Vulkan out out the door over the last 2 years (and not even touch graphics).

You are talking about people who will make 1+ hour videos dedicated to how bad the latest aaa title is for having moments where for fractions of a second its under 60fps..... Asobo know this, which is why DX12 is now seems to be a prerequisite for the console launch, I doubt they will get that working any time soon (Conversion to a modern graphics API took LR and eagle dynamics some 3 years to get out of the test bench, Eagle still dont have vulkan working)

Well time will tell, but I wouldn't doubt Asobo abilities based on what others "can't" do. Asobo was talking DX12 at launch, and they kept MSFS under wraps for years...

XP is written by people with a passion for aviation, for people with a passion for aviation, a genre where neglecting an oil change can kill half a city block is never going to go down well with kids burning 10minutes when they should be doing their homework, no matter how much fancy graphics you wrap it in, which is why it was never the highest priority for Laminar, and mostly left to the community.

"it was never the highest priority for Laminar, and mostly left to the community."

Yep, much like XPs airports...left to the community...because LR (with all of their passion) doesn't see that as a priority for a flight sim

What you don't get is that flight immersion is not limited to the flight model (that many assume XP excels at). LR has not been able to keep pace with the growing demands of the flight sim community (like graphics), nor have they been able to capitalize on the market potential (2M+ users).

An XP user will either spend more time chasing ways to make it look better, or just fly it "as is" for what it is. And apparently, the OP believes that it looks horrible out of the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

MSFS has over 2M users

You do know there are only 6 zeros in a million right?

Because 2M is not even half of X-Planes 5M+ installed userbase just on Linux, and surely not going to go down well with the bean counters for a AAA game that would normally sell ten times that in its first 6 months, and is unlikely to even make a return on the marketing budget, let alone however much they paid 1000 monkeys to colour in the blades of grass.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Time to stop the Xplane VS MSFS 2020 debate!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: