Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

I abandoned VR eventually :)

On 5/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, GCBraun said:

Yeah, I was a pretty hardcore VR simmer a couple years ago. The convenience and sharpness of my 4K OLED and the fact that I cannot be completely disconnected from the real world most of the time has also led me to sell my Reverb G2. Hope things improve (a lot) in near future both on the hardware and software front...

Wow you were a huge VR supporter.  Do you think its better in XP?  I think we simply don't have the computing power/image clarity on the headsets yet for MSFS

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Wow you were a huge VR supporter.  Do you think its better in XP?  I think we simply don't have the computing power/image clarity on the headsets yet for MSFS

Its not all down to computing power/image clarity. Flying VR in Aerofly FS2 is vastly superior in both framerates and image quality when compared to MSFS. The computing power is there... MSFS just needs to be coded better to utilize it.

• Upvote 1

Some folks need to get their eyes checked.

I feel everything from Rift S and up gives a pretty darn crisp image. I don’t even use external supersampling. I haven’t had to squint to read anything in a cockpit since DK2 and CV1 and Vive 1. The O+, Rift S, G1/G2 Reverb and Index are superior to the earlier VR tech. Also VR’s native stereoscopic 3d solves a ton of aliasing on its own naturally. VR is “there” and his been “there” in terms of evolution for a long time now.

If you can barely pass your annual occupational depth perception test then yea.. I wouldn’t expect to have a crisp VR experience. Not sure what’s going on with some of you. MSFS with Rift S and 

110 TAA

8x8 anisotropic filtering 

6x6 texture resolution 

Is very sharp crisp image.

Now as far as the TAA I agree its not the sharpest antialiasing method but the most effective method MSAA is very demanding on hardware. I’m running 8x MSAA through Flyinside with FSX and its very effective to the point I can see little road traffic ai cars moving from very long distances. MSFS would of course cost much more performance than FSX with 8X MSAA method and hopefully they will implement a sharper method over TAA one day.

Now if you can’t run the settings in MSFS that high thats your hardware’s problem but to just generalize and blanket all VR as “not there yet” just isn’t the case. You same folks will be saying the same thing another 4 years from now. Sucks some of you are having bad experiences but I’ve been around since floppy disk simming and VR is the biggest visual simming evolution I’ve ever experienced. 4k and 8k pancake displays mean what when you aren’t using your sensory and peripheral functions of your brain and most importantly…that stuff called DEPTH!

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

48 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yes, XP11 is definitely better, not only because of the performance, but mainly due to the 3rd. party available tools and touch control support. It is pretty cool to interact with the EFB, switches, navigation equipment using your hands, something that until now is not supported by MSFS/P3D.

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

XPs VR implementation is very good and better than the MSFS one, but it has it's own issues. In some planes it's basically impossible to turn a knob because they are hypersensitive and stuff like that. 

I have no complaints about MSFS VR performance and clarity though. I upscale a bit (in oculus) on a rift s and it runs absolutely great and is quite crisp. Displays are readable because of the upscaling and the general VR experience in MSFS is much better due to the difference in general graphic quality. XP has the better VR, but it is still XP powering it graphics wise.

And that's on a 2080, so nothing too fancy nowadays even.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

even with the blurriness (i am still using CV1) waiting for my G2 i still cannot go back to flying with a monitor, I tried it, I just couldn't come to terms with flying that way anymore, nothing puts you in the "captains seat" like a VR headset does.

Edited by clayton4115
  • Like 4

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

13 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Thats not TrackIR Robert. TrackIR is smooth as silk and works perfectly.

Well yes, but Opentrack emulates track IR and it works quite well. It's the Oculus software I'm having trouble with at the moment (Oculus link keeps dropping out).

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

21 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

<snip....>

these sure helped my with my G2.  🙂   https://vroptician.com/#

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 6/12/2021 at 12:39 PM, GCBraun said:

Yes, XP11 is definitely better, not only because of the performance, but mainly due to the 3rd. party available tools and touch control support. It is pretty cool to interact with the EFB, switches, navigation equipment using your hands, something that until now is not supported by MSFS/P3D.

The low effort 2D mouse cursor implementation in MSFS VR has turned me off also.

I don't think people realize just how much more efficient and organic having atleast a headset aimed crosshair or touch controller cockpit switch, button, dial interaction is.

Especially during take off and landings where speed and accessibility to cockpit dials, switches and buttons are critical.

Having lack of such VR peripherals just makes me want to avoid flying complex airliners in MSFS VR in general even with hardware button mapped hotkeys.

Asobo are well aware of this missing feature and I hope it's just a matter of when as far as implementation . 

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I just tried P3d in VR. To see if I got the same disappointing results with the Quest 2 in MSFS, and....I could hardly believe what I saw. More than twice the clarity and smooth as silk on exactly the same Oculus settings. Hardly a shimmer in sight and almost the same frame rates as without VR. What gives?

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

2 hours ago, robert young said:

I just tried P3d in VR. To see if I got the same disappointing results with the Quest 2 in MSFS, and....I could hardly believe what I saw. More than twice the clarity and smooth as silk on exactly the same Oculus settings. Hardly a shimmer in sight and almost the same frame rates as without VR. What gives?

As I mentioned earlier, MSFS needs to be coded better for VR. This is the initial release though so hopefully progress will be made with the move to DX12 and future updates they have planned for VR

3 hours ago, robert young said:

MSF is a newer sim/game, which requires more processing power, which requires better optimisation, which is still in its infancy with VR support.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 6/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, blueshark747 said:

I feel everything from Rift S and up gives a pretty darn crisp image.

If you can barely pass your annual occupational depth perception test then yea.. I wouldn’t expect to have a crisp VR experience. Not sure what’s going on with some of you. MSFS with Rift S and 

110 TAA

8x8 anisotropic filtering 

6x6 texture resolution 

Is very sharp crisp image.

Now as far as the TAA I agree its not the sharpest antialiasing method but the most effective method MSAA is very demanding on hardware. I’m running 8x MSAA through Flyinside with FSX and its very effective to the point I can see little road traffic ai cars moving from very long distances. MSFS would of course cost much more performance than FSX with 8X MSAA method and hopefully they will implement a sharper method over TAA one day.

Now if you can’t run the settings in MSFS that high thats your....etc 

I get that you think everyone who is not happy with the VR experience must be down to defective eyesight, but for a while just pretend I have 20/20 vision and am seeking more clarity. The logic for this assumption is that whatever your assumption about other people's eyes, they can still perceive the difference in quality between one image and another. Would you be so kind as to list all of your settings as they appear in the MSFS menu and the settings you have in the Oculus menu including whatever other settings you have in either Oculus debug or Oculus tray? That would be very useful for those who might have tried everything but haven't hit upon the right spot. 

You're not alone Robert. I've worked with people with apparently perfect vision, who couldn't get a clear image in VR no matter what was tried. Those who do are lucky, and those who aslo don't get VR sick are very very fortunate to be able to fully enjoy VR.

Edited by dogmanbird

35 minutes ago, dogmanbird said:

You're not alone Robert. I've worked with people with apparently perfect vision, who couldn't get a clear image in VR no matter what was tried. Those who do are lucky, and those who aslo don't get VR sick are very very fortunate to be able to fully enjoy VR.

Things have improved since following one of the settings threads on Flight Simulator forum, but you have to do everything exactly in the order described. For the first time I can see reasonably clearly for double the distance, but there is still a long way to go before it could be described as "good". But some progress made.

The "poor eyesight" argument doesn't hold for me. It is a bit like saying because you are slightly deaf in one ear your judgment of the quality of a piece of music is compromised, even though you can hear it, albeit at a lower volume, perfectly well!