Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Air coolers, how to compare?

Well' I've built my new rig: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, GTX1650 (until the GPU crisis is solved) and 2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM.

I did some performance tests (while I'm setting up everything), but the temperatures were a bit high for my liking (75°C at the stock 3.7 GHz). This is with the stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler.

I understand and accept this cooler was designed with other goals, and that, if I want to overclock, I need a better one first. I don't feel comfortable using water coolers (even AIO), so I'll go with an air one. However, I don't know what to compare. I mean, I know TDP for my 5600x is 65W, and that the Wraith Stealth can deal with up to 80W. I may compare using TDP, but some brands (at least Cooler Master) do not share that info in the specs of their coolers. How can I compare coolers then?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Try seeing what Gamer's Nexus on youtube has to say. They are my trusted source for this kind of info.

If you have a large enough case, the Noctua NH-D15 is about as good as it gets with CPU air coolers.  I've never used AMD processors, so I don't know if the offset single-fan "S" version (NH-D15S) would present the same advantages in memory/GPU clearance as it does with the Intel boards.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

If you don't like the bulky D15. the U12A offers almost the same performance in a considerably slimmer package that also allows for better memory or GPU clearance.

Expect it to be a bit noisier though.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

I don't feel comfortable using water coolers (even AIO), so I'll go with an air one.

Good move

On 5/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

I may compare using TDP, but some brands (at least Cooler Master) do not share that info in the specs of their coolers. How can I compare coolers then?

You can compare from tests/reviews on the internet. They test the same CPU with different coolers. In the case you want the best stuff apart from Noctua NH-D15, search "be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, BK022, 250W TDP". I have this one and I can recommend it. It outperforms D15.

Another vote for the Noctua u12a here.  Fitted one on my cpu upgrade, putting in the notoriously hot Ryzen 7 5800x.  Pretty quiet even on full fan and copes with me overclocking to the full 4.8GHz.  I found it straightforward to fit and good clearance for the RAM on my X470 motherboard.

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

On 5/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, AJZip said:

Another vote for the Noctua u12a here.  Fitted one on my cpu upgrade, putting in the notoriously hot Ryzen 7 5800x.  Pretty quiet even on full fan and copes with me overclocking to the full 4.8GHz.  I found it straightforward to fit and good clearance for the RAM on my X470 motherboard.

What do you mean by "overclocking to 4.8GHz" ?

Isn't it supposed to boost to that frequency out of the box? or did you put it as a static speed? and if so, to what purpose?

1 hour ago, ha5mvo said:

What do you mean by "overclocking to 4.8GHz" ?

Isn't it supposed to boost to that frequency out of the box? or did you put it as a static speed? and if so, to what purpose?

The 5800x is gaining a bit of a reputation for running exceptionally hot and I would agree with that.

That said, and I can't quite put my finger on why, the auto overclock runs it hotter than my manual overclocking, which I set through the Ryzen Master facility.   With x-plane in VR it was regularly crashing due to the temps when on auto, but on manual o/c rarely when set at 4.8 and never (yet) at 4.7. 

I did spend a reasonable amount of time using the Ryzen Master stress-test facility fiddling with small settings changes so I suspect that I simply have got a configuration that suits my particular rig that maybe the default didn't.

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

If your after a cheaper option than the Noctua stuff, this is very highly rated

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-red-cpu-cooler-2-x-120mm-hs-075-ar.html

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I have the same CPU you have, and I upgraded my cooler to a new Noctua product, the NH-U12S Redux: https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-redux

First, a disclaimer: I have my PC setup in the basement of my house, which is *always* cool, like under 65 F all the time. So, the PC is in a very ideal environment, plus I have a roomy case with serious ventilation (Thermaltake Core V21). I mean a huge 200mm fan in the front, a case fan on both sides, plus one underneath for the PSU and, of course, the exhaust in the back.

Right now, running idle, I stay around 30 C to 35 C. At load, I stay under 60 C (running Prime95!). It costs $50 pretty much anywhere. I can tell you that this is a GREAT cooler and well worth every dollar.