Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Aerosoft's new glider sim on sale

As per the title, Aerosoft's new World of Aircraft: Glider Simulator is now available from the Aerosoft site although you will need a Steam account to install it. I'll be posting a review of this on my youtube channel later today. It lets you fly a couple of glider types, plus a towplane. It's pretty realistic in most respects, although already there are some things I noticed which the beta testers really should have spotted, for example, see if you can tell what is wrong in this screenshot I took of the Blanik's cockpit. I'll give you a clue: last time I checked, the sky was blue and the earth was brown:

mXXGutA.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Must tag @jcomm !

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Looks interesting and I’m looking forward to your review.  I really have no glider sim experience so this could be fun.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

17 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Looks interesting and I’m looking forward to your review.  I really have no glider sim experience so this could fun.

It is actually quite a nice introduction to gliding, with a lot of tutorials to gently show you what to do, although as far as I can tell it only features aerotow launches and not winch launches, which is a shame because winch launches are much more dramatic and fun. But it lets you fly the tow plane (a Wilga) as well as sailplanes and a motor-gliders, so you do get to fly quite a few different things.

Models are good, scenery is nice and detailed, featuring AI traffic on roads etc and gets very smooth FPS. Audio is particularly good. The area it covers is around Baden-Württemberg in Germany, so there are 'real' airfields in the sim. The sky depiction and thermal lift seems pretty well done, with birds flying around to give you clues as to where the thermals are as they do in real life.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, Chock said:

I'll give you a clue: last time I checked, the sky was blue and the earth was brown:

Maybe the gauge is right, and the world outside is reversed, in which case he's in serious trouble! 😄

Thanks for the info! Looks interesting.

Pascal

Edited by Pascal_LSGC

Could the artificial horizon need something switching on to work?

Eugene

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

Must tag @jcomm !

Thx :-)

Been following it for a while...

It includes two gliders I flew a considerable amount of time n, beginning with the Blank L-13 in 1980 :-)

Looking in youtube for videos / comments ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

17 minutes ago, Overload said:

Eugene

That was my thought as well. Perhaps the gyro isn't powered up yet.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

23 minutes ago, Overload said:

Eugene

Skip down until you find that particular model - LUN 1202 AH - in the following page:

Attitude Gyros (lichtco.cz)

Also visible in this flight video:

Flying a Glider L-13 Blanik - YouTube

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This artificial horizon seems to be old Soviet style - brown up and blue down, so realistic. Had to check Yak-52 documentation, there similar one in use.

The AH is ok, see my post above...

Main Simulation Rig:

That is one I wouldn't want to fly with. I'm too used to blue up / brown down!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

43 minutes ago, n4gix said:

That was my thought as well. Perhaps the gyro isn't powered up yet.

Nah, it was definitely working, it was just inverted. I know Soviet ones work a little bit different, but as far as I'm aware they aren't different in the sense of the colours being inverted they are different in the way the overlay moves. Either way, most gliders I've flown in real life didn't even have an artificial horizon at all, so it wouldn't bother me in real life, if you're in clouds in a glider, you're probably doing it wrong lol.

Mind you, even a busted clock is right twice a day, and in a similar way, that thing would be right at the point of impact. 🤣

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

4 minutes ago, n4gix said:

That is one I wouldn't want to fly with. I'm too used to blue up / brown down!

Well, the glider was initially meant to be used only in the Southern Hemisphere .... 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig: