Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

MSFS has the most advanced flight model?

13 minutes ago, Janov said:

I think it is interesting that you have no hesitation to herald (and welcome) the demise of X-Plane and spare no effort to lay out why and when this will happen in this thread - but when someone starts to provide data that doesn´t fit your little world...you want the discussion to get back on topic! Oh, any you forgot to mention Blackberry vs iPhone in your last post! 😂

Sure, if X-Plane has more overall users when you include the mobile market, all the more power to X-Plane.  But the mobile market is much different than the PC home simulator market.  The PC home simulator market is the  market I discuss because it’s the most relevant to us here at Avsim (yes, even Blackberry focused on other markets after it lost the mobile phone market to IPhone and Android).j

X-Plane succeeding in the mobile market does not change it’s trajectory of becoming a legacy sim in the PC home market (by legacy sim, I mean at some point, the majority of 3rd party devs may abandon X-Plane for the home PC simulator market).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, akita said:

The drawback in mobile devices is we are yet to have gpu's powerfull enough for the really fancy shaders.

Hmmmmm….Still trying to figure out how to plug my Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle and CH pedals into my iPhone. 

And I’m not anti-xplane. But my point is that even if mobile and desktop are running 85+% of the same code base, that doesn’t make for an equivalent experience…yet. 

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris

Installs does not equal users. Even more-so on a free mobile app. Wonder how many people have bought an extra plane on there? 

Edited by CaptainNick
  • Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Let me repeat the last paragraph I wrote: X-Plane, as a platform for the PC home simulator market, is in serious trouble.  Yes, X-Plane may survive by targeting the mobile market, or commercial market.  But for the PC home simulator market, the leader is clearly MSFS and unless X-Plane 12 has "revolutionary improvement" and not "incremental improvement," I don't see the lead of MSFS changing anytime soon.

I think XP will be the #1 mobile flight simulator, the desktop version has been stagnant for years with a superior flight model as its only claim to fame.

1 hour ago, akita said:

From a software point of view, a single code base that yields in bigger numbers vs time is the actual fact that matters. Xplane mobile is Xplane desktop

This is nonsense...the whole premise behind Austin talk about code and hardware convergence is because he had nothing new to say about the desktop version.

His vision is light years away...as is, apparently...XP12.

34 minutes ago, akita said:

Already did that instead you were fast to quote rather than actually reading.

Go to your google play store, search for Xplane, watch the installs number 5M+. Already at least 2x more than the *product* called MSFS.

If you have, ios, great  go to your app store and do the same above and please update me, i expect some more millions there.

This may be the case in your world, but in the real world....if XP had 2x the user base as MSFS, then the 3PD devs would be flocking to XP.

Where are all of the 3P Devs going??? Who has almost 12 payware addon releases a week??? 3P devs go where the user base is....and that, apparently is MSFS.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, akita said:

Already did that instead you were fast to quote rather than actually reading.

Go to your google play store, search for Xplane, watch the installs number 5M+. Already at least 2x more than the *product* called MSFS.

If you have, ios, great  go to your app store and do the same above and please update me, i expect some more millions there.

I don't use google store I do use ios app store. And over there I can only see rating and how long XP was in app store (9 years)

Statistically your approach doesn't make sense. We can't seriously consider number of times program has been  installed. Instead we need to see number of current active users! Those number is hard to gather  unless either product connected to the server all the time. XP is generally offline game. I guess LM could interpolate "real weather" server data, but it still will exclude user who are using 3rd party online weather plugins

Give you better example I own XP11 and installed several times, but I don't use anymore. So no matter how many times I installed in the past it's irrelevant right now! But wait I used to own FSX and installed way more times that XP11.This data simply doesn't reflect what I use now. I hope it makes sense!

Also if you happy with x-plane I don't see what is point to argue here. Feel free to play XP11. If the numbers of installation convince you that XP is better simulator so be it. Most people here already have chosen MSFS. I'm personally use my own metrics - 20 years of flying IRL and it does it for me! But hey I'm pro choice so whichever sim makes you happy and all for it! 🙂

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Come on folks, let the XP fans win the flight model argument (we know its really not true).

I mean, do we really need to see the great Austin go through these silly antics just to compete?

Who knows what dangers the guy may put himself through to finally get his "performance killing" default clouds to extend to the horizon....something...even DCS (a military sim) has mastered.

• Like 2

Also XP11 fans. If you think XP11 is better, what are you doing here? LOL Wouldn't be better if you spend more time flying in XP11 then going in MSFS forum and trying to prove that it's better? It some kind of logical paradox! LOL Please anyone explain it to me! 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Where are all of the 3P Devs going??? Who has almost 12 payware addon releases a week??? 3P devs go where the user base is....and that, apparently is MSFS

It depenss if Xplame will choose to open their marketplace for them. If so, yes, they'll come, no one will say no for millions of potential customers.

35 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Hmmmmm….Still trying to figure out how to plug my Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle and CH pedals into my iPhone. 

And I’m not anti-xplane. But my point is that even if mobile and desktop are running 85+% of the same code base, that doesn’t make for an equivalent experience…yet. 

Generally speaking gamimg on hardware incapeable of tessellation and less than 20 inches is not a great experience.

But if funding speaking then it is a great experience for the developers 🙂

3 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

Come on folks, let the XP fans win the flight model argument (we know its really not true).

I mean, do we really need to see the great Austin go through these silly antics just to compete?

Who knows what dangers the guy may put himself through to finally get his "performance killing" default clouds to extend to the horizon....something...even DCS (a military sim) has mastered.

LOL Austin should have looked back in 1930. Some on already did it neatly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_WgkVQWtno

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Also XP11 fans. If you think XP11 is better, what are you doing here? LOL Wouldn't be better if you spend more time flying in XP11 then going in MSFS forum and trying to prove that it's better? It some kind of logical paradox! LOL Please anyone explain it to me! 🙂

Was going to answer for the previous but not really now.

Again with this fans nonesense. Projection they call it.

Just now, akita said:

Was going to answer for the previous but not really now.

Again with this fans nonesense. Projection they call it.

Well in my world "projection" means when student blame others for his/her own mistakes. They blame airplane, weather, instructor, wheels, pavement and so on LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akita said:

But simple as that, Xplane product has at least 3x more users, developing mobile and dekstop together is not taking 2x time, much less than that, and will be even less.

Alternate reality I guess. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

Well in my world "projection" means when student blame others for his/her own mistakes. They blame airplane, weather, instructor, wheels, pavement and so on LOL

You are not the only one enjoying real life flight;)

Also not the only one enjoying MSFS, for the rare occasions I actually start a simulator to fly I mostly use MSFS, graphics for me please.

For Xplane I goof around with my own stupid mods, I love the engine and the system they have too and expect v12 to have great graphics too.

This should not affect the facts that I preseneted here, look for what I commented in the first place and you'll see why you might be the projector here with your fan talk.

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Alternate reality I guess. 

Should I point you to the stats too? that would be the third one, if you are interested re-read previous comments.

If you are interested in a "never say anything not in favor of MSFS" witch hunting you got the wrong one;)