Sign in to follow this  
buspelle

The use of FXAA... (?)

Hi, just wonder... Why cant I use FXAA as an option in Nvidia Inspector in MSFS to sort of "even out" the edges of objects, without getting a huge fps drop? The stutter/lagging gets horrible when checking that opiton in Nvidia Inspector...

In DCS, FSX, P3D and IL-2 there is NO impact and no preformanceloss what so ever when using FXAA in Nvidia Inspector. But why in MSFS? 

Best regards

Buspelle

What GPU do you have? I never tried.

One thing worth noting is that MSFS does not offer the possibility to enable TAA and FXAA at the same time and usually when you force a feature through the driver it doesn't end well...

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

If you see a performance loss with it in MSFS compared to no such effect in P3D or DCS, IL2 etc, it is probably because your MSFS is up on the ragged-edge of performance whilst the other sims are not, which is hardly a surprise, since none of those other sims are streaming real-world data for their scenery, nor is it as visually complex in other respects either. Basically there is just a lot more going on on the screen with MSFS, so there's a lot more which needs processing.

Although FXAA is fast and pretty efficient in most respects for the visual improvements it makes, it is still going to take approximately ten percent off your FPS in order to do its thing as opposed to not having it selected. For a GPU process, this is very good in terms of cost/benefit, and if you have good FPS and plenty of headroom to play with, ten percent off your FPS is an acceptable drop for the visual improvements you're gaining, but if you were right on the edge of decent FPS when you turned FXAA on, then you're going to see a detrimental effect with it.

If on the other hand your FPS is pretty good and you are still getting a performance drop when FXAA goes on, then this might indicate there is some kind of bottleneck on your system with how the data is getting moved around.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You should get excellent results in MSFS with TAA set for antialiasing.  Make sure you have super sampling (SS) and anisotropic filtering set quite high inside the sim as well, or it still won't look too good, but the vast majority of people get excellent results with this setup.

Running FXAA on top of this from inside NVidia Inspector will not give good results.  The rest of your settings inside NI should be set to off or set to application controlled.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thank You so much for all Your kind answers! 

Best regards 

Buspelle

• Like 1

You might already have visited this page, but I found it very useful to help me setup my settings. I don't use it all exactly, but it is a good reference point.

[HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide (3/16/2021) - Guides / Advanced Pilot Help & Guides - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Please tell me more about FXAA and SMAA, in reshade? Where do I find that? 

15 hours ago, buspelle said:

Thank You so much for all Your kind answers! 

Best regards 

Buspelle

Low Latency Mode when set at Ultra reduces reported GPU load by about ~12%, with no untoward side effects.  Also, Anisotropic Filtering at 16x and Texture SS at 8x always in-sim.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Low Latency Mode when set at Ultra reduces reported GPU load by about ~12%, with no untoward side effects.   

That setting weighs a lot on the CPU instead. If you don't see any effect is because your GPU is bottlenecking most of the time.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

18 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

That setting weighs a lot on the CPU instead. If you don't see any effect is because your GPU is bottlenecking most of the time.

When you vsync to 30hz you have a lot of CPU headroom since it's no longer being asked to prerender frames beyond 30fps.  This is why I absolutely show ~12% less GPU utilization w/ LLM set at Ultra.  I almost never see my CPU get anywhere near even 90% utilization.  Even at FSDT KORD a moment ago tops was about 72%.  And of course, w/ an RTX 2070 Super GPU is always the bottleneck.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

As with FSX / P3D I ended up not using VSYNC for a much smoother scanning experience.  I guess that hardware has alot to do with it but I always used unlimited FPS in the OLD sims.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

41 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

As with FSX / P3D I ended up not using VSYNC for a much smoother scanning experience.  I guess that hardware has alot to do with it but I always used unlimited FPS in the OLD sims.

Cheers

bs

Me too, still use unlimited, but vsync to 30Hz always gives the best and smoothest experience, essentially perfect in P3D, and that includes panning the cockpit.  I've tried both in areas when I could vsync solidly to 60Hz and even then 30Hz was superior.

Noel