Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Who Dunnit?

Were all the aircraft included in the program done by Asobo?  They're a French company, is that not correct?  I ask just because I found it odd one of the aircraft has a grammar mistake in a texture.

The CTSL has a label that say "Ne pas suspendre les casques ici."  Which translated would be approximately Don't not to hang hats here.  Maybe the real thing has the same.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

2 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Were all the aircraft included in the program done by Asobo?  They're a French company, is that not correct?  I ask just because I found it odd one of the aircraft has a grammar mistake in a texture.

The CTSL has a label that say "Ne pas suspendre les casques ici."  Which translated would be approximately Don't not to hang hats here.  Maybe the real thing has the same.

A casque  is not a hat. It is a helmet or, in this case, a headset.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

"Casque D'écoute avec micro"  is the real full french way of saying headsets but in this case, I am guessing they wanted to keep it short.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Hey, Andy!  "Ne pas accrocher de chapeaux ici"  🗼

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well, in 40+ years of working and speaking in French, you never use ne and pas together.

7 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Well, in 40+ years of working and speaking in French, you never use ne and pas together.

You mean that I didn't speak my native tongue correctly for the last 72 years 🤣 ?   

"Ne pas"+Infinitive is a negative form of the "impératif" mode. It is perfectly OK. You can say "ne pas suspendre" or "ne suspendez pas". Both are correct.

Négation en français — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Dominique_K said:

You mean that I didn't speak my native tongue correctly for the last 72 years 🤣 ?   

"Ne pas"+Infinitive is a negative form of the "impératif" mode. It is perfectly OK. You can say "ne pas suspendre" or "ne suspendez pas". Both are correct.

Gotcha, good point.  Time to close this thread 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Do you find it funny that native speakers, like us, gets corrected by google translate "expert" in forums.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Do you find it funny that native speakers, like us, gets corrected by google translate "expert" in forums.

Yes, I find it very funny! I would "assume" that French has several dialects also which could account for variations.

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

You should see the amount of people who correct my English when I speak in my native dialect.

‘Reet gets on ya nerves like man. Pure heedache’ 

15 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Yes, I find it very funny! I would "assume" that French has several dialects also which could account for variations.

There is a high amount of dialects in the French language. Just in Quebec alone, you travel 100km in any directions and you will start hearing expression that are unique to that area.

• Like 1

Back in the hollers we don't pay no never mind to all them dialect talkers. Ain't nothin' but real words speaked 'round these parts. I jes cain't figger out why some folks never learnt to speak no good english. But as I said, hit don't make us no never mind no how.

• Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, fogboundturtle said:

There is a high amount of dialects in the French language. Just in Quebec alone, you travel 100km in any directions and you will start hearing expression that are unique to that area.

Oh, how I discovered that when I was a student in Leysin, Switzerland! Since Leysin is located in the SW part of the country, both French and Italian were the most natively used languages. One didn't even have to travel much further than the next village to hear different accents, words and even grammar!

It sure made learning French, Italian and German a real challenge. Funnily enough my English classes (what few there were) were not considered sufficient when I had to arrange for an American HS Diploma upon returning to the United States. GW Washington HS in Alexandria, VA insisted I had to take two semesters of English before they'd grant me a Diploma... 

Fortunately, my English teacher instructed me to write three essays so she could determine my proficiency. After grading them, she said I needn't attend any further classes, so I instead spent my time singing in the school's choir and chorus instead. 🤪

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 6/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, fogboundturtle said:

By a "Google Translate 'expert'", yes.
By a student of the language, no.

In my many years of studying languages, my teachers and professors would tell me that non-native speakers of a language -if studied formally- would often learn grammar to a higher standard than that of most native speakers.
Why? Because language students learn the rules. Native speakers, on the other hand, learn the local/regional idiosynchracies, customs and practices of their mother language, which often do not strictly follow correct usage.

An obvious example of English usage by native speakers failing to follow the rules is when it comes to the using the conditional tense.

E.g. 'I could of completed that run...'

The correct grammar is: 'I could have completed that run...'

The contraction of modal verbs such as could have and should have to could've or should've confuses a lot of native English speakers. This is due to the contraction 'could've', when spoken, appearing to sound like 'could of'.

Here endeth the lesson. 🤓

[Awaits incoming critique of my grammar]

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter