Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Outer Space...

I know it's early, and we're still debating inner Space, up to the limits of the Troposphere, but it would be cool if someday ASOBO allowed for Outer Space flights.

Orbital Flights, maybe travelling to the Moon and other planets - say Mars for a start.

There's another sim which included Mars until one of it's old versions (just made the same suggestion at their forums...).

Also the representation of satellite constellations would be cool 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, I think Microsoft and Asobo already have a lot in their plate with just our planet.

But if they decide to simulate beyond that then maybe they should revive 'Microsoft Space Simulator' which came out 27 years ago

20LfkJY.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah!  Used that one too 🙂  Was cool, but left early 😕 just like their Train Simulator too ...  and even Combat Flight Simulator, at least up to version 2, were great but ephemerous ...

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

Yeah!  Used that one too 🙂  Was cool, but left early 😕 just like their Train Simulator too ...  and even Combat Flight Simulator, at least up to version 2, were great but ephemerous ...

Agreed. It would be great to have another combat simulator and I think it could be implemented within the sim. I hope the upcoming Top Gun expansion pack gives us a taste of that. 

• Like 2

Space flight? Very much doubt that will ever come to MSFS.

Happy to stick with KSP for that.... 😉

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I've been playing Elite: Dangerous on Xbox while waiting for the 27th which is a fun game. It looks great, but the conflict is a bit tedious for an old FS simmer like me. Only $40 on the Xbox Store, but it's on PC too.

Mike Beckwith

39 minutes ago, Highmike said:

I've been playing Elite: Dangerous on Xbox while waiting for the 27th which is a fun game. It looks great, but the conflict is a bit tedious for an old FS simmer like me. Only $40 on the Xbox Store, but it's on PC too.

o7, Commander!!

• Like 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

I know it's early, and we're still debating inner Space, up to the limits of the Troposphere, but it would be cool if someday ASOBO allowed for Outer Space flights.

Orbital Flights, maybe travelling to the Moon and other planets - say Mars for a start.

There's another sim which included Mars until one of it's old versions (just made the same suggestion at their forums...).

Also the representation of satellite constellations would be cool 🙂

You might want to check out Kerbal Space Program or Orbiter (http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/) if realistic space flight is what you're looking for.

Simulating orbital mechanics and rocketry in a realistic way is a very different thing from the aviation simulation we have in MSFS.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 3:35 AM, jcomm said:

One of my favorites for years was SSM2007 (Space Shuttle Mission 2007).  It was really well-done and taught me a lot about orbital mechanics (at least how they were utilized for the Space Shuttle).  I was actually getting ready to reinstall and relearn it when FS2020 popped and I never got back to it.

Here are a few shots I still had in my library:

F6-Panel

Day-Launch

STS103

STS99-Land3

R1-Panel

Night-Pad

F7-Panel

Looks like it's still available: https://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

Wouldn't have to worry about seeing enough trees. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 7/4/2021 at 8:27 AM, Der Zeitgeist said:

You might want to check out Kerbal Space Program or Orbiter

+1. KSP is just plain fun. Orbiter can be a bit more frustrating, mostly because of clunky interfaces with the ship's systems, but it's free and as far as I know, it's just one guy making the whole thing so that it exists at all is very impressive. If you try Orbiter, be sure to get the Ravenstar addon. That's one fun little toy.

That stealth plane in the Top Gun DLC might be able to go at extreme altitudes. 

Tom Cruise's character in the trailers is wearing pressure suit like the SR-71 pilots did.

Edited by Tuskin38

I really enjoyed working my way through the missions in SSMS2007. Following the checklists was great fun, and there were some really cool missions (including the one to retrieve the LDEF satellite using the MMU jet pack) :cool: On the other hand, I was looking forward to SSMS2 eight years ago.......and I am still waiting!!

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I got so I could do the initial (thru lift-off) checklists from memory (though I can't recall any of it now).  I enjoyed all aspects of the missions but especially enjoyed re-entry and doing the huge arcs of descent to bleed off speed - it is really something to be so high that you are looking at entire continents at times.

I believe I got through about half of the missions before life intervened for a while.  I will probably reinstall and run the missions in the future.

Randall Rocke

The relatively poor resolution of the Earth textures at lower levels ultimately stopped me in my tracks. I think that I completed all missions up to and including STS-88. I would love to see SSMS2 released, but only if the Earth is rendered in much higher resolution textures that are seamless from ground to orbit.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png