Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

Electric airliners

17 hours ago, reignman40 said:

The 1930's called and wants its prop liner back?

19 passengers and a range of 250 miles... Mostly a PR stunt for now. This might be perfect for cargo or island hoping but I don't expect an airline like say Hawaiian to be replacing their 717's for these when they go into operation. You would need 6-7 of these to move as many passengers as a single flight in a Boeing 717.

A hybrid airliner would be awesome! if possible, the extra components might make it to heavy? Takeoff, Climb and landing would use fuel while being electric during cruise and decent.

Fuel cells could make electric aircraft viable. They are already to market in Material Handling equipment, forklifts, reach trucks, EPJs etc.. my own company has a few Dist. Centers using them. Faster than charging a battery and easier than changing one.

Quoting Alvin Weinberg (father of the pressurized water reactor), 

"It wasn't that I had suddenly become converted to a belief in nuclear airplanes.   It was rather,  that this was the only avenue open to ORNL (Oak Ridge National Labs) for continuing work in reactor development.   That the purpose was unattainable,   if not foolish,   was not so important.   A high-temperature reactor could be useful for other purposes even if it never propelled and airplane"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Nuclear_Propulsion

The Soviets did experiments too,   their nuclear jet engines passed air through the core of the reactor and it left fallout contrails everywhere they flew.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

On 7/13/2021 at 9:57 PM, David Mills said:

Due to an aircraft's constant interaction with the atmosphere, shouldn't Windmill power be the preferred energy source for modern aircraft? The Windmills could be cleverly disguised as propellers, and few people would notice the difference. The company could be called WindBus.

It reminds me of this xkcd joke ...

turbine.png

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, bobcat999 said:

[This thread has been useful for me at least - I learnt how to spell Oscillating]

Now you "learned" how to spell. Haha!

Oh goodness.  I stand corrected...or sit redacted.  Learnt is the British English word for learned.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Now you "learned" how to spell. Haha!

Oh goodness.  I stand corrected...or sit redacted.  Learnt is the British English word for learned.

Ah yes! We have many words such as this to trip you up.  'Spelt' is used for spelled as well.  UK and the US - two countries divided by the same language!  :smile: 

To our American cousins it must seem like we are all speaking like characters out of Lord of the Rings!   Where ist thou Portage through thine ether? I beseech thee, bringeth the Bus of Air! 
We don't really talk like this of course. We are all down with the kids these days bro!  :biggrin: 

Edited by bobcat999
Corrected some MISSPELT words!..

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.