Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

Electric airliners

Just now, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I would have watched it but it is only recorded at 1080p which is just not acceptable in a video of that length, it should have been at least 1440p ore preferably 4K.  Also why is there no UHD version ?

No HDR.. Trash video. The Fanvelopers are obviously taking shortcuts and only worried about making money 

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

17 minutes ago, styckx said:

No HDR.. Trash video. The Fanvelopers are obviously taking shortcuts and only worried about making money 

Pretty clear to me that HDR in well nigh essential on fan streams like this one.

I use a YouTube fan black screen loop for noise cancellation when I sleep. Am 3re shift and daytime sleeping has challenges. 

You guys might be interested to know that at my works at EGCC, we are now taking delivery of a lot of electric ground service equipment such as belts and high loaders, so all this electric stuff is starting to really permeate the commercial airline world. It's particularly interesting that the electric high loaders are not puny little ones either, they are big powerful commander-style ones suitable for loading wide-body airliners. The electric belts are really fast too, faster than the diesel ones. Like some fancy electric cars, all this stuff charges its own batteries as it operates, so they're pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 hours ago, David Mills said:

Due to an aircraft's constant interaction with the atmosphere, shouldn't Windmill power be the preferred energy source for modern aircraft? The Windmills could be cleverly disguised as propellers, and few people would notice the difference. The company could be called WindBus.

Sounds like a perpetual motion machine 😅

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Chock said:

You guys might be interested to know that at my works at EGCC, we are now taking delivery of a lot of electric ground service equipment such as belts and high loaders, so all this electric stuff is starting to really permeate the commercial airline world. It's particularly interesting that the electric high loaders are not puny little ones either, they are big powerful commander-style ones suitable for loading wide-body airliners. The electric belts are really fast too, faster than the diesel ones. Like some fancy electric cars, all this stuff charges its own batteries as it operates, so they're pretty cool.

How do they charge their own batteries? Surely not completely charge. That would be very "Un-Thermodynamic" given friction.

16 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I wonder what kind of sound that makes?

brrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrbbrrbrrb...?

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I laughed too much at this thread. Thanks guys!! You made me a fan!! 

• Like 1

Victor Roos

11 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

How do they charge their own batteries? Surely not completely charge. That would be very "Un-Thermodynamic" given friction.

Nah, that'd be a perpetual motion machine if they completely charged them. What they do is use their batteries with electric motors to raise the load platform, and then instead of using power to lower the platform as is the case with a diesel loader with hydraulics, the new electric ones let the platform drop on its own and there is a dynamo attached to the thing which turns via a gear on the platform as it drops, thus they generate a little bit of power, which they can store, with each cycle of the platform. So you still have to charge them, but part of the operation of them is effectively powered by gravity each time the platform goes down.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

The 1930's called and wants its prop liner back?

19 passengers and a range of 250 miles... Mostly a PR stunt for now. This might be perfect for cargo or island hoping but I don't expect an airline like say Hawaiian to be replacing their 717's for these when they go into operation. You would need 6-7 of these to move as many passengers as a single flight in a Boeing 717.

A hybrid airliner would be awesome! if possible, the extra components might make it to heavy? Takeoff, Climb and landing would use fuel while being electric during cruise and decent.

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

2 hours ago, reignman40 said:

The 1930's called and wants its prop liner back?

19 passengers and a range of 250 miles... Mostly a PR stunt for now. This might be perfect for cargo or island hoping but I don't expect an airline like say Hawaiian to be replacing their 717's for these when they go into operation. You would need 6-7 of these to move as many passengers as a single flight in a Boeing 717.

A hybrid airliner would be awesome! if possible, the extra components might make it to heavy? Takeoff, Climb and landing would use fuel while being electric during cruise and decent.

The market will be where there are restrictions on conventional aircraft.

Noise restricted airports come to mind.

On 7/14/2021 at 11:11 PM, Chock said:

Nah, that'd be a perpetual motion machine if they completely charged them. What they do is use their batteries with electric motors to raise the load platform, and then instead of using power to lower the platform as is the case with a diesel loader with hydraulics, the new electric ones let the platform drop on its own and there is a dynamo attached to the thing which turns via a gear on the platform as it drops, thus they generate a little bit of power, which they can store, with each cycle of the platform. So you still have to charge them, but part of the operation of them is effectively powered by gravity each time the platform goes down.

It actually uses the same brushless motor that lifts it as the generator, no need for an additional generator (its not a dynamo it produces AC back out that gets rectified

As for the United's announcement, Its mainly firing for effect...trying to give the impression that business is moving forward, the timeline is pure fantasy.

Rather like the numbers and timeline for the Boom

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

As for the United's announcement, Its mainly firing for effect...trying to give the impression that business is moving forward, the timeline is pure fantasy.

Rather like the numbers and timeline for the Boom

Yup, they may even have the thing as a loss leader when it does get into service, to promote the notion of them being all right on.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury