Sign in to follow this  
Bunkie

Just Flight VC-10 Pro in P3D V5.2 ?

Hi all,

I've just left a question over on the JF forum asking for an update on the VC-10 Pro and future P3D V5 use.

Having said (typed) that, I'm wondering if any of the regulars (yes you, CHOCK) have managed to get the V4 model running in V5 ?  In my case, it simply pushed P3D into La La Land and I end up having to CTL+ALT+Delete my way back to the desktop.  It's such a shame, this aircraft would do nicely in V5 (opinion).

So... any help out there ?

Mark

I got the Just Flight version and had pretty low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised. I just changed the install path (no registry changes) and it installed and works fine in 5.2. (Unlike the Aerosoft one, by the way, which I guess requires a registry hack that I'd almost certainly hose up.) It's pretty casual, as you'd expect, but the sound, graphics and animations are decent--especially the sound. I got both the older and later models and am happy with the purchase. There was a big four-engine-shaped hole in my P3D collection.

Tim,

I suspect you've confused the VC-10 with the DC-8; Aerosoft and JF both have DC-8 models, only JF has made a VC-10 for P3D/FSX.  Yes - the DC-8 works fine 🙂  VC-10 crashes P3D.

Thanks for response, old jets are fun!

Mark

The JF VC-10 Jetliner product (which I don't see for sale on their site anymore) works fine for me in P3Dv5 but I've never been able to get JF VC-10 Professional to run. It CTDs every time.

Edited by Alistair Logie
Error in product name
  • Like 1

Bunkie. Yes it does work in 5.2  I have the JF VC10 installed and working in P3DV5.2. I do not have the professional version. The model seems to work fine but there is an issue with the cockpit lighting switches still having the old FSX bug of no lights in day (FSL Spotlights will fix that issue when I get around to it). Used it a bit in FSX but it was very heavy on the CPU and a frame hog and killed the sim, so I have to confess apart from a quick test flight to see if it worked ok in P3DV5 I have not done much with it since. Another one of those aeroplanes that I do not seem to find time for at the moment. As far as I can tell all the animations and switches work and maybe I should get back to it - it was a wonderful aeroplane, complex to operate and quirky in the cockpit but otherwise the fastest jet liner ever built with good hot and high capacity and long legs. 

The JF download version I have is VC10_140. It installs into the main sim objects folder not as an addon!. Textures are not as crisp as I expected but still not bad!

Here are two shots on the ground and the VC

fXaQ2Ha.jpg

dfqm8hv.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks very much to all - I truly appreciate the replies.

I've got both the original model and the "Professional" - and it's the Pro variant that I had installed and resulted in the crashes.  I never thought of trying the older model - thanks, I'm off to do that right away.

Again, thanks for the help Gents!

• Like 1

Just a follow-up in case anybody is following along...

I installed the original VC-10 "Jetliner" instead of the latest "Pro" edition; it loads, P3D opens, and the aircraft model flies perfectly.  But...  if you fly inside a cloud the fuselage becomes transparent in external views!  All is good from inside the cockpit though.  Once you're out of the cloud, the fuselage looks normal.  It's the same sort of effect that used to happen if the copy protection wasn't working properly...  so just stay inside the "office" and don't look at the pretty pictures and all is well 🙂

Mark

Great Bunkie, yes seemed to work fine for me too! Interesting that the textures do that in cloud. I know a lot of effort went into the VC10 when it was done for FSX another one of those great models that surely does not need too much effort to bring the Professional version into P3DV5. Then again the VC10 probably only had niche appeal anyway. Another very good aeroplane that could not compete against the dominance of the 707 and DC8 and they were fuel hogs! Still hold the record for achieving M 0.92 in the cruise. Passengers really like them they were quiet and comfortable, the RAF operated them for decades, some nice videos on the tube from the cockpit of RAF ops here and there too! Might spend some time over the next few days seeing if we can get FSL Spotlights to work its magic on the lighting issue! I' ll post the ini for it when its done!

Yes Coastaldriver, 

Most definitely a niche market - but it's just such a beautiful aircraft.

I remember being a young lad, and a proud member of BOAC's "Junior Jet Club" - and being invited to come sit in the cockpit of the 707 in mid Atlantic. The pilot pointed out a VC-10 that left after we did - passing us high and wide, and at a rate that made it seem like we were sitting still.  The VC-10 became my favorite aeroplane that day... from everything I've read, there "could" have been a market for them, but BOAC basically killed them by demanding the Super - which took a niche market to an entirely new level.

But pretty... oh so pretty.  And especially in those BOAC colours... ah, the good ole days!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Bunkie said:

I suspect you've confused the VC-10 with the DC-8

It's worse than that. I confused posts.

2 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

It's worse than that. I confused posts.

Ah, I see.  I'm going to guess we're related then... I do that on something or other almost every single day!

Cheers!

I would love to take the VC10 over to v5 when I move over eventually, sadly I've had bugs in the electrical system of the aircraft since it was released in v4 which rather kills the immersion. I did make JF Support aware and they supposedly notified the developer, but (I reckon partly down to the developer being external) I've heard nothing since then, an offical v5 port seems equally remote for the time being.

Would be nice to see it fixed up & put in V5 officially though unless an unofficial v5 port shows up that fixes my issues.

Edit: having just checked the JF forums there does appear to be an official V5 port in the works still! So hope not lost as of yet

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

Thank you for this thread. I did not even think to try the non pro version after having tried the pro. Strange that 1 works and the other does not! 

Anyway have a working VC-10 in 5.2 now. Awesome! 

Also good to hear they have not abandoned the pro version officially yet. I did ask them the same question about a year ago, and had a similar response. So not holding my breath on that one!

Thanks again, 

Bully. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/