Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

Is MSFS worth reinstalling at all?

For default Steam installations, the paths are much shorter. I think I chose wisely to buy from Steam for many reasons.

Default Steam is

C:\Users\(your computer name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community.

With either a Steam or Microsoft Store purchase you could specify a custom installation path: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\

In that case, community must then be in one exact location: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, ADamiani said:

In my opinion MSFS is not worth reinstalling or buying now due to the washed out visuals and repeated ctd's.

We will see what happens with the promised hotfix and then the stability update with WU6.

I just want to underline that they already have the solution to this mess: rolling back to SU4. If they don't, they probably have some very good reason (and I think that debating those reasons here serves no purpose). I really hope they know perfectly well what they are doing, because SU4 was absolutely cool. Two weeks ago I had a tourist flight over Rome with some 40 people and a youtuber from Scotland called twotonemurphy. We had a lot of fun, and it looked totally immersive, one of those experiences you remember after years.

A.

Everyone is so focused on the latest patch and on what is best to do and not do (wait ? unistall? reinstall ? ) , so many expectations (often not met), that sometimes is almost forget what ones  already have available beyond the fancy graphics,i'm a ghost from the past who tried to update\"upgrade"  and was disappointed, despite the good will and patience (1 year), I realized that sometimes ... waiting for the future, we forget what the past already offers us . Fs2020 it's not just "graphics" or at least it shouldn't be just that. 

First post from 2014 , quite an "achievement" 

Edited by Tornadius78
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Well, 'many days' is 24 times as long as 'many hours'. If what you posted is literally true, then I don't see how you could run MSFS at all because you need to have a strong broadband connection to the cloud.

I am probably misunderstanding what you meant because my internet subscription plan is 'up to 100 Mbps', and when I re downloaded the whole installation it took only a very few hours, not 'many days'. Sounds like, if I understand you, your connection speed ceiling is way under that.

MSFS runs fine with my connection (my measured actual internet speeds vary from 45 to 85 Mbps during the day on ookla speed test site).  I don't think an internet plan rated up to 50 Mbps can run MSFS from the cloud, except sometimes during the day when you are actually getting the full rated 50 Mbps.

I share bandwidth with others in my house - so I can't go all out on downloading often or everyone else suffers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

When the initial SU5 came out, the sim would run okay for me unless you went to a big payware airport with the PMDG DC-6 and then it would bomb, but since they released the hot fix for that update it's been as stable as ever, runs for hours on end with no issues whatsoever. Looks good and performs well now and that includes with the PMDG DC-6. 

Of course some people are apparently having issues with it, but since it runs okay on my PC as evidenced by the fact that I can stream-recordings for reviews at a solid 30+ FPS, so I am forced to conclude that would be a system-specific issue which is causing the problem for some, such as a driver, setting or some hardware which differs to my own. So I guess since there are many systems out there, all you can do is try it.

If it helps you to decide whether or not to do so, I have an intel i5 CPU, and an ATI RX480 GPU, so that's 8Gb of DDR5 GPU RAM and there is 44Gb of DDR4 RAM on the motherboard. MSFS is installed on a dedicated 500 GB SSD.

Thanks Chock, I'll give it a reinstall. Worst case scenario it'll be fixed soon anyway!

There is something or somethings mighty strange about CTDs under SU5. I have zero CTD's with hours and hours flying after SU5. But I'm not messing with a flight plan on glass screens so perhaps the issue is related to that.

Doesn't seem to be a bell shaped curve situation where most users would be getting some few CTD's. Instead it seems to be this: users are divided into two camps- almost none or a whole lot of them, with only a few people in the middle getting a few. An upside down bell curve.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

35 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Congratulations to you then.  Few knew to perform a custom installation in the early days.  This is an example of what was put in place with a default installation.  So now I expect you will have a better idea of what most of us dealt with. OK?  And that path just reaches the Community folder.  So for addon airports, aircraft liveries, and aircraft and avionics mods, the Community directory was only the starting point for their own sometimes lengthy paths.

F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-7555345473-1456586222-3848173965-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_97675b3d8b558\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Hello, every simulator has had the ability to be installed into its own folder. Like you, no doubt, I installed the simulator on the release day.

How to do it is to first create the folder that you want to use on the drive that you want it to be on. Then, after the initial download, the game starts and you are asked to install the content. This method has applied at least since FS9 and probably before, if only I could remember.

if you leave the default location, it does indeed install into the convoluted path that yours has been put into. It looks as if you have in fact changed only the destination drive, left the convoluted path and that the installer has then done as you told it to do.

The correct way, if it will be of any use to you, is to direct the installer to your chosen and newly created folder, in my case G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator and it will install into that folder, placing the Community folder into the much more accessible location of G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Community.

1 hour ago, Tornadius78 said:

Everyone is so focused on the latest patch and on what is best to do and not do (wait ? unistall? reinstall ? ) , so many expectations (often not met), that sometimes is almost forget what ones  already have available beyond the fancy graphics,i'm a ghost from the past who tried to update\"upgrade"  and was disappointed, despite the good will and patience (1 year), I realized that sometimes ... waiting for the future, we forget what the past already offers us . Fs2020 it's not just "graphics" or at least it shouldn't be just that. 

First post from 2014 , quite an "achievement" 

To me, eye candy was the main reason to love it, because I was a bit tired of the washed out appearance of X-Plane. MSFS was really great at that.

Now I am back to Aerowinx PSX, no scenery, but I am rediscovering a great simulator, best flightmodel around, perfect cockpit and accurate simulation of systems.

I really hope to have good reasons to reinstall MSFS one day: the potential is enormous and I would really like to use it as visual generator for PSX and to fly low and slow on my steam gauges cessna 172.

A.

Edited by ADamiani

13 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

To me, eye candy was the main reason to love it, because I was a bit tired of the washed out appearance of X-Plane. MSFS was really great at that.

Now I am back to Aerowinx PSX, no scenery, but I am rediscovering a great simulator, best flightmodel around, perfect cockpit and accurate simulation of systems.

I really hope to have good reasons to reinstall MSFS one day: the potential is enormous and I would really like to use it as visual generator for PSX and to fligh low and slow on my steam gauges cessna 172.

A.

Everyone has their priorities, hope they will fix these "problems" soon, I think others will arise,  that it is a "project that involves 10 years of development" so up to the 9th year it will not be possible oppose objections i guess  .....

Edited by Tornadius78

2 minutes ago, Tornadius78 said:

Everyone has their priorities, hope they will fix these "problems" soon, I think others will arise,  that it is a project that involves 10 years of development so up to the 9th year it will not be possible oppose objections i guess  .....

Sure, different people, different priorities.

But let's not forget that the "fix" is already there: it is called SU4.

About the 10 years project: they are supposed to be 10 years of improvements. So I have a lot of objections. A lot.

A.

36 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

But let's not forget that the "fix" is already there: it is called SU4.

For me, since after world update 3 ( not that it was perfect but a gradual "work in progress" between graphics and physics and functionality) ,reverse to previous updates was never considered (and I've never seen any ), only hotfixes that led to other hotfixes that lead to crash\bugs\other hotfixes ........ not always to improve the software.

Even now the graphics, these fantastic photorealistic scenarios and the performances are discussed almost everywhere (crashes I can understand and are important), but almost never flight models or system bugs, especially for airliners (the only steps forward in this regard I have seen are from community project and similar stuff as if asobo disinterested in certain aspects).  I have never seen a game that contained "simulator" in the name and made graphics the fundamental point, not even stuff like farming simulator or similar. (which are more truthful towards their name than fs2020,at the time we speak)

I do not attribute "blame" to xbox versions or other nonsense, but neither I am I blind to certain practices that I have seen for a long time now.I think there is a decent middle ground between ignoring certain aspects and deliberately not looking at them. I am well aware that "simulators" of the past took time to mature, but we are in 2021 and not in 1998 and we should update our standards based on this too.

Edited by Tornadius78

I seriously regret uninstalling MSFS, because now I don't have the desire to do the 120GB+ install again to try these hotfixes rolling out.

I might reinstall with the next SU6,we'll see.....I'll hit the install button before I head out and do yardwork or something the next sim update.

XBOX version isn't an option for me because there isn't any VR with XBox and pancake simming is lackluster.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

39 minutes ago, Tornadius78 said:

For me, since after world update 3 ( not that it was perfect but a gradual "work in progress" between graphics and physics and functionality) ,reverse to previous updates was never considered (and I've never seen any ), only hotfixes that led to other hotfixes that lead to crash\bugs\other hotfixes ........ not always to improve the software.

Even now the graphics, these fantastic photorealistic scenarios and the performances are discussed almost everywhere (crashes I can understand and are important), but almost never flight models or system bugs, especially for airliners (the only steps forward in this regard I have seen are from community project and similar stuff as if asobo disinterested in certain aspects).  I have never seen a game that contained "simulator" in the name and made graphics the fundamental point, not even stuff like farming simulator or similar. (which are more truthful towards their name than fs2020,at the time we speak)

I do not attribute "blame" to xbox versions or other nonsense, but neither I am I blind to certain practices that I have seen for a long time now.I think there is a decent middle ground between ignoring certain aspects and deliberately not looking at them. I am well aware that "simulators" of the past took time to mature, but we are in 2021 and not in 1998 and we should update our standards based on this too.

Interesting point of view. My past experience since 1983 tells me that before you have a system - accurate airliner you need years of development on a new platform, and about the flightmodel, I think it is extremely hard to design a universal platform like MSFS with pluggable aircraft with a great flightmodel. That's why when I want a great flightmodel I go back to PSX (and as I said I'm looking forward to using MSFS for visuals when the presently available joke will be corrected). Maybe the same technique will be used by other addon producers to code systems and flightmodel externally and then use MSFS as a scenery generator.

A.

Well, I reinstalled and it was actually much faster than I thought, and the PMDG DC6 seems very nice, but that pop in is a no go for me. I felt like I was playing a PS3 game and it looks really bad.

Think I'll stick to DCS til SU6.