1 hour ago, JYW said:

...but have you tried completely emptying the Community folder, of everything?

Actually you can get caught even if you do that...  to be completely sure that nothing you have installed is affecting the vanilla sim in any way, you should also remove anything you have bought on the marketplace as well  and really go back to full vanilla...  As an example, the Mooney is only available through marketplace and doesn't go into community, but the Mooney was causing some CTD's after SU5 and there is no fix yet from Carenado on the Marketplace.

Just an FYI..

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Upvote 2

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

My community folder is completely empty (only have a few freeware items to begin with.)  Tried to launch a flight, went to the departure airport, tried to select a gate to go from.  Crash.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I think some are forgetting this fact. When you buy something from the MS Market Place, it does not go into the community folder, it is installed right into the game. Now here is another fact, most of the updates so far have broken some things that were sold by the Marketplace. The Carenado Aircraft comes to mind, because I have three of them, with post SU5 multiple problems.

Now that tells me that when Asobo works on an update, they are not checking to see if their update will break anything they they sold in the Marketplace.  Maybe the SU  will, maybe it won't, only users using the add ons will find it out once they update and use the add ons. Now these problematic  add ons could be an aircraft, or scenery. So whose to say that one of these now broken add ons, might or might not cause issues like CTD's. The only way for sure to find out, is to go to market place and uninstall every one of them you purchased, if you run into problems after an update. Just emptying the community folder is only seeing if the problem comes from something there, and doesn't check all the store bought stuff for problems. 

So thinking you have a Vanilla installation of MSFS if you empty the community folder, is not necessarily true. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Right, except as i said, I have not purchased a single item, almost exclusively used the aircraft that came with the base program.  I have no updated cockpits or avionics or whatever (I don't really know what others are using.)

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So thinking you have a Vanilla installation of MSFS if you empty the community folder, is not necessarily true. 

Absolutely. I had crashes after an update a few months back and tracked it down to a marketplace airport. 

I had to uninstall it in content manager until the airport was eventually fixed as flying anywhere in the area crashed the sim, not just spawning at the airport itself.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Absolutely. I had crashes after an update a few months back and tracked it down to a marketplace airport. 

I had to uninstall it in content manager until the airport was eventually fixed as flying anywhere in the area crashed the sim, not just spawning at the airport itself.

You were lucky to find that. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Moria15 said:

Actually you can get caught even if you do that...  to be completely sure that nothing you have installed is affecting the vanilla sim in any way, you should also remove anything you have bought on the marketplace as well  and really go back to full vanilla... 

Yes, this is correct.  An add-on, is an add-on, is an add-on.  It doesn't matter if the the add-on is in the Community folder, or if the add-on was purchased from the MSFS marketplace.

When MSFS gets a new patch, add-ons that are not up to date with the latest patch, can cause MSFS to CTD.

So if you are getting CTDs, not only do you want to empty the Community folder, you want to also start uninstalling add-ons purchased from the MSFS marketplace.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Does the Addon manager take care of even what is outside the community folder?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

49 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Does the Addon manager take care of even what is outside the community folder?

Marketplace addons are managed and updated (often late and badly) by the in game Content Manager.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Marketplace addons are managed and updated (often late and badly) by the in game Content Manager.

Sorry, I was meaning the Addon Linker! The 3rd party program.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

10 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Sorry, I was meaning the Addon Linker! The 3rd party program.

Addon linker only handles community folder addons.

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think some are forgetting this fact. When you buy something from the MS Market Place, it does not go into the community folder, it is installed right into the game. Now here is another fact, most of the updates so far have broken some things that were sold by the Marketplace. The Carenado Aircraft comes to mind, because I have three of them, with post SU5 multiple problems.

Now that tells me that when Asobo works on an update, they are not checking to see if their update will break anything they they sold in the Marketplace.  Maybe the SU  will, maybe it won't, only users using the add ons will find it out once they update and use the add ons. Now these problematic  add ons could be an aircraft, or scenery. So whose to say that one of these now broken add ons, might or might not cause issues like CTD's. The only way for sure to find out, is to go to market place and uninstall every one of them you purchased, if you run into problems after an update. Just emptying the community folder is only seeing if the problem comes from something there, and doesn't check all the store bought stuff for problems. 

A valid point I feel regarding market place purchases which sit in the official folder. 

I had two main issues - stuttering and complete freezes for several seconds - resolved by removing the freeware Global ship add-on.

CTD, I had one just after release and three since SU5 - removing the nxi mod and 14+ flights in has completely solved this. 

both these issues are covered in depth in other threads on this and the official MS forum.

regarding SU5, I look at this as a refresh or reset for MSFS. We all know it was released too early, who here wasn’t surprised when that trailer came out. IMO the MS production team wanted to take advantage of the pandemic and the fact everyone was stuck at home playing video games or making babies. So we had a work in progress game sat on legacy code which Asobo I’m sure we’re already working on to improve and update accordingly. Which is where we are now - this is MSFS v2. Not great for third party devs maybe, but I’m sure actually they had a heads up behind the scenes anyway.

Edited by hanhamreds

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

The ELT rocker does not appear to work in any aircraft.

The test switch in the 172 doesn't do anything anymore.

Edited by andyjohnston.net