Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Excellent side by side SU4 to SU5 performance comparison

22 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The memory improvement is the biggest thing for me... although what is not mentioned here, you need to change LOD from 100 to 200 in SU5, to get equivalent visuals.  🙂

How to do this please? 😊

1 minute ago, ThrottleUp said:

How to do this please? 😊

In the sim graphics settings

Bert

2 hours ago, neil0311 said:

I guess this illustrates is the difference in perspective between “hard core computer simmers” and old pilots just looking for a reasonable representation of the flight experience on a computer. 

When I look out of the cockpit window in MSFS, does it look convincing? Yes!  I also don’t fly from outside the plane looking at a wide angle view of scenery. 

And maybe it makes me less than knowledgeable or just another arcade gamer, but I wouldn’t even know how to quantify those things. Gamma???? Don’t even know what that is honestly.

Yes, nobody is saying that MSFS svcks and honestly if it came out with graphics just better than an ORBXed P3D, nobody would complain.

What's disappointing in MSFS is that we used to have certain standards at the beginning*, standards that are being lowered more and more after every patch, with SU5 that feels like a coupe de grace.

The next-gen flight simulator, born on PC after 15 years of silence and defined by many "the new Crysis" takes now 4 to 6 GB of RAM - and it shows. People have invested in RTX 3000 cards and 64 GB of RAM just to find themselves, after one year, with a game tailored for XBox Series S.

*By standards I mean: subtle objects pop-in in the distance, mountains not morphing, coastlines without water creeping up and morphing, stunning clouds and global illumination, realistic water... it was not perfect and maybe all the imperfections we are talking about have always been present, but not to this extent. 

We didn't deserve this, honestly... just because after one year virtually every PC gamer into flight simulation have bought it already and now they need to sell it to console gamers. 

Personally I am not even hardcore: I have spent about 800 hours in Fallout 76 and everybody knows how it is still (after 3 years) affected by bugs, glitches and old-gen graphics. But it's FUN and most importantly, it got better and less bugged after every patch.

• Upvote 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

4 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

What's disappointing in MSFS is that we used to have certain standards at the beginning*, standards that are being lowered more and more after every patch, with SU5 that feels like a coupe de grace.

Some people seem to feel that way. I will allude to a poll on this very forum hinting that even within the confines of Avsim, this segment, while loud, is/was far from a majority.

Within the wider community comprising the millions of "others" who purchased the sim, I doubt this is even on the radar.

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Some people seem to feel that way. I will allude to a poll on this very forum hinting that even within the confines of Avsim, this segment, while loud, is/was far from a majority.

Within the wider community comprising the millions of "others" who purchased the sim, I doubt this is even on the radar.

How much was being the majority missed by, a few points?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

How much was being the majority missed by, a few points?

The poll is still up, you can check. Which also won't matter since once it showed unwanted results, the race to reparse the numbers into insignificance was on.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

17 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You are so wrong that the developers themselves admitted that some were just bugs, while other downgrades will be repaired via sliders to allow PC users to use higher level hardware.

It is wonderful to see that there is always someone ready to side with Microsoft and relegate fellow forum members into a "small minority". 

Doing this after those shortcomings have been recognized and in some cases even described in detail (the memory limitation) could make someone doubt about the real intentions of some posts. Maybe that's because when you have already seen that happen (in the official forum of a famous soccer game when people started to notice some strange behaviors of the game dynamics) you become oversensitive.

So, sorry in advance if everything is actually genuine. But try and understand that asking the devs to restore this product to all its beauty and stability with a specific PC branch is good for everyone: in one year an average PC will be much, much more powerful than an XBox, so we need to remind them the promise to give us a PC game that evolves with us for ten years.

A.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

You are so wrong that the developers themselves admitted that some were just bugs, while other downgrades will be repaired via sliders to allow PC users to use higher level hardware.

It is wonderful to see that there is always someone ready to side with Microsoft and relegate fellow forum members into a "small minority". 

Doing this after those shortcomings have been recognized and in some cases even described in detail (the memory limitation) could make someone doubt about the real intentions of some posts. Maybe that's because when you have already seen that happen (in the official forum of a famous soccer game when people started to notice some strange behaviors of the game dynamics) you become oversensitive.

So, sorry in advance if everything is actually genuine. But try and understand that asking the devs to restore this product to all its beauty and stability with a specific PC branch is good for everyone: in one year an average PC will be much, much more powerful than an XBox, so we need to remind them the promise to give us a PC game that evolves with us for ten years.

A.

Arguing with a word not allowed is very difficult.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

23 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Only I never said that there were no bugs or even downgrades. What I would posit is that to many people they either did not matter, did not affect them (CTD's) or were and are considered a reasonable and acceptable tradeoff.

I'm not really feeling that as a concern from a community that gleefully silenced and then banished VR users. Or from a forum where pretty much any non-traditional request (like crash damage) eventually gets locked, usually under earnest arguments about resources, that suddenly don't apply when asking for things like this. Anyone can play that card.

Doing this after those shortcomings have been recognized and in some cases even described in detail (the memory limitation) could make someone doubt about the real intentions of some posts.

I agree with the memory limitation for more than one reason, and don't subscribe to the latest conspiracy theories. Even convenient conspiracy theories about others motives.

Edit: But now you have me a bit intrigued. Just what do you think my (probably nefarious) intentions are? I would be fascinated to hear a theory.

But try and understand that asking the devs to restore this product to all its beauty and stability with a specific PC branch is good for everyone:

Nothing in life is perfect or comes without compromises. It will come from here, or maybe over there, but compromises will come, and people can either accept that, or make a lot of noise and then accept it anyway. Asobo, still trying futilly to please everyone will likely move things around on the chessboard yet again; but history shows that there will be no reprieve for them now, or probably ever,

Next month, we will all be yelling about something else. And the month after that, and the month after that. Decades after the original Microsoft flight simulator came into being, there are still demands being made, and of course, everyone thinks' theirs are the most urgent, ever. Until next month, and then the month after that, and then.......

I fully and realistically expect that 5 years from now (it's already happened, actually) somebody will be unhappy that the stars don't twinkle enough.

Maybe there should be a poll........

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

15 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Arguing with a word not allowed is very difficult.

Yes, I've noticed that! 🙃

• Like 1

Devons rig

16 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I agree with the memory limitation for more than one reason, and don't subscribe to the latest conspiracy theories. Even convenient conspiracy theories about others motives.

Edit: But now you have me a bit intrigued. Just what do you think my (probably nefarious) intentions are? I would be fascinated to hear a theory.

I knew that the word "conspiracy" was coming out sooner or later. And spare that condescending tone: it only shows your lack of respect towards other people.

Also, when you quote, be fair and also quote the part where I say that I might be oversensitive and even explain why. Do not cut and paste only the parts that you need to try and patronize me. 

A.

1 minute ago, ADamiani said:

Also, when you quote, be fair and also quote the part where I say that I might be oversensitive and even explain why. Do not cut and paste only the parts that you need to try and patronize me. 

Then do me the favor of not mischaracterizing what I have said, or hinting however obliquely about "Motives".

• Like 2

Devons rig

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Yes, nobody is saying that MSFS svcks and honestly if it came out with graphics just better than an ORBXed P3D, nobody would complain.

The next-gen flight simulator, born on PC after 15 years of silence and defined by many "the new Crysis" takes now 4 to 6 GB of RAM - and it shows. People have invested in RTX 3000 cards and 64 GB of RAM just to find themselves, after one year, with a game tailored for XBox Series S.

*By standards I mean: subtle objects pop-in in the distance, mountains not morphing, coastlines without water creeping up and morphing, stunning clouds and global illumination, realistic water... it was not perfect and maybe all the imperfections we are talking about have always been present, but not to this extent. 

We didn't deserve this, honestly... just because after one year virtually every PC gamer into flight simulation have bought it already and now they need to sell it to console gamers. 

Personally I am not even hardcore: I have spent about 800 hours in Fallout 76 and everybody knows how it is still (after 3 years) affected by bugs, glitches and old-gen graphics. But it's FUN and most importantly, it got better and less bugged after every patch.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but I couldn’t feel more differently.

Memory usage and CPU usage went down with SU5. FPS went up. The visuals are stunning. Don’t want to keep repeating myself, but I honestly don’t see the details that some of you see, but I’m not looking for it.

This version is so much better than anything we’ve seen in the past. I enjoy it as it is. Control what you can, accept what you can’t, and know the difference between the two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ADamiani said:

I knew that the word "conspiracy" was coming out sooner or later. And spare that condescending tone: it only shows your lack of respect towards other people.

A.

Typical action when people have a shaky point they are trying to prove,  quote someone, but their quote due to their careful editing of what they quote, makes their point seem stronger. Politicians do this all the time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

The game has had a major overhaul with 40gigs of engine rewriting - so forget the 1 year thing, it was released in a beta state at best. The clock starts now as far as I’m concerned and Asobo will now expand and improve upon the PC because they have a modern game engine to build from.

weather, water, graphic settings will all improve further - they have said as much in the Q&As.

honestly I have no idea how anyone could have been happy with the way the game was running before.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir