Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Render scaling, using a 1080p monitor

I am finding that post SU5, my graphics card is not working as hard, and my VRAM utilisation
is down significantly.  Mind you, this is with fps set at 30. 😉

One thing I had not changed since SU4, was the Render Scaling setting.. it was at 100.

If you are in the same situation, try setting it at 120, as a test.

My GPU usage went up to 120% of the previous number (coincidence?),
55% to 67%, sitting at CYCD.. but the visuals in the cockpit are much better..

I can now better read my new G1000 nxi  🙂

This may be old news, in which case, please disregard.. but for me, this is worth it.

• Like 8

Bert

Thanks for the info - I'm set up similar to you so I'll give this a try.

Randall Rocke

Doesn't seem to change anything on my end.  Just kills my CPU more when I increase it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Doesn't seem to change anything on my end.  Just kills my CPU more when I increase it.

In that case, go back to 100... 🙂

Bert

My render scaling setting on the 1080p monitor is 135.

Been running 125% since SU5   Looks superb.  Extra clarity, less jaggies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

My render scaling setting on the 1080p monitor is 135.

133 would be equivalent to 1440 (QHD) resolution.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

The render scale is a really nice feature.  It implements DSR in-game, which actually renders the scene at the render scale resolution, then downsample scales that image to your monitor's resolution (in image processing it's called decimation).  The decimation algorithm averages the portions of the rendered image's pixels which map to the monitor's pixel and sets the monitor's pixel to that averaged value.  This yields a more accurate final anti-aliased monitor image; thus DSR is effectively SSAA.

I experimented with driver DSR when it came out a while back, before I got a 2k monitor, and loved its results, but it had a nasty side effect in that any overlay text became very tiny as a result.  The MSFS implementation solves that problem.

• Like 5

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Bert-

I run 4k on a 4k TV... any reason to bump past 100?

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I have 2k monitor. Before SU5 MSFS rendering was set to 100. I bumped it up to 150 right after SU5 came out. But then came the fixes from Asobo and I moved it back to 130.

I have to play the same tricks in Quest 2 VR. Set rendering to .7 or .8 in both Oculus Developer Tools, and OculusClient.exe. And then set rendering up much higher than those in MSFS itself. It had to be lower before SU5 happened. And turn down FOV in Oculus Tray tools, and turn things off in Nvidia control panel.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, cavaricooper said:

Bert-

I run 4k on a 4k TV... any reason to bump past 100?

C

Nope.. 😉

Edit: Lower, maybe?

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Bert, I also have a 1080 monitor and run with v sync locked at 30 fps.  I upped my render scaling to 120 and came to the same conclusions as you did. Not sure what happened to my signature containing my specs but I have a 5600x CPU and RTX3070 GPU.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I use my 4k monitor and with Render Scaling 70% + Vsync ON 30fps. It's as soft as silk whatever the context.

And all this with my old I7 4790K &  GTX 1080...

it's impressive!!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

Bert, thanks for your tip (and excuse my above indulgence).  I gave Render Scale a try with my gtx 1070 driving a 2k monitor.  The best it could reasonably handle is 110%, but even that modest bump noticeably smoothed jaggies (while pushing my 1070 to its extremes...but why not), thanks again!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

4 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Bert, thanks for your tip (and excuse my above indulgence).

Great explanation... much appreciated. 🙂

Bert