Sign in to follow this  
mpw8679

PMDG DC6

16 hours ago, elcaro said:

I could never get used to flying sim aircraft that I knew had yokes IRL using a joystick - just killed any semblance of immersion for me.

I fully agree that all the plastic-fantastic el cheapo yokes out there, and I've tried them all over the years - CH, Thrustmaster, Logitech...yada, yada - I learned to hate those too.  None of them come even close to being acceptable, with their slop, dragginess, and general poor contruction.

But my Virtual-Fly Yoko+ yoke is a game-changer.  I admit that axis travel is still a bit more "springy" than I'd like, unlike a yoke in a real aircraft.  But all movement is butter-smooth through the extent of both axes, and with its Hall Effect Sensors, it's quite good.  Mine's mounted on the Playseat Air Force I use for simming - all I have on my desk is my keyboard and 3 28" monitors with the sim spread across them.

Dont know if you've tried the HC Alpha yoke, but imo its a game changer. Definitely not springy like the saitek. Now you can actually feel the weight of the plane especially on take off when you pull back and trim so that the back pressure isnt too much

34 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Yeah, the hump flights were all variants of the DC3 or it's immediate predecessors as well.

The DC6 is too post war really.

There was actually at least one DC6 involved in the evacuation in South Vietnam:

https://library.utdallas.edu/specialcollections/hac/cataam/Leeker/history/Vietnam3.pdf (bottom of page 4) 

Brave pilots !

About the hump, the main difference is that the 6 is pressrized and not the 3. They had oxygen bottles but had to fly lower which is a perilous exercise between Assam and Yunnan. Not the same flight.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There was actually at least one DC6 involved in the evacuation in South Vietnam:

Wow!   I can't imagine how they packed them all in!

That whole PDF was a very interesting and informative read on evacuating a war zone.  Shoulda been read by.......well....uhh...nevermind.  Air America...what a group of aviators! 🙂 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Just a heads up,  DC-6 Version 2.0.37 is live in the updater.     12mb's.

[31AUG21] Very Small Update for PMDG DC-6 just pushed... and a couple of quick tidbits...

Today, 00:08

Captains,

A few moments ago we updated the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS to build 2.00.0037. You can get this update via the PMDG Operations Center update page.

The update is VERY small and just cleans up a few things that became necessary after the Microsoft SU5 update to MSFS. These items include:

PMDG DC-6 for FSX / P3D / FS2020 - 2.00.0037
===================================
Released 2021-08-31
0010150: [Sounds] Seat belt / smoking chimes sound if airplane power is turned off (hvanrensburg)
0010149: [Systems Behavior/Functionality] Pilot avatars are missing (cbpowell)
0010148: [External Model - Lighting] Prop side reflection in direct sunlight is suboptimal (jbrown)

This update was ready a few weeks ago, but we were chasing our tail on a few other items that we have determined will require corrections within the MSFS platform itself and thus there was no reason to keep holding these three items. This bring the DC-6 up to a state where we feel it is ready to go into the MSFS Marketplace and we will (we hope?) hand that off to Microsoft - so good news for folks that have been waiting for that avenue to open.

In my last update, I mentioned that we were caught out by Microsoft's major platform update in late July. We received our testing access for the platform change only about 5 days prior to it releasing to the market- so we scrambled a bit to get the DC-6 to play well with the new platform update and this knocked us off our game a bit. This update made some significant changes to the core of the platform that required a bit of re-work on the DC-6, and that pulled quite a bit of our development time away from the 737, thus slowing that project down unexpectedly. While we have moved resources back to the 737 where we want them, I am still finding that progress is going a bit slower than we would like because the changes brought to the core platform have been a bit challenged, it would seem. We have had to feel our way through a few things trying to determine "is this something we need to change permanently in the 737? Or is this something we should ignore for now because it is a bug in the platform that Asobo will fix later?"

Normally we would simply bounce the questions off Asobo, and we have continued to do so- but this is the holiday season and that has slowed the reply loop. When the sun comes up in the morning, it will be 01SEP and we are expecting that things will speed up readily and that should get us back to moving at normal pace here shortly.

The 737 looks absolutely sumptuous in MSFS and I am *pretty* sure we will start showing her to you this month...

On the 747 side of the house, the new LNAV module is in testing and is about to get another update for our beta testers later this week. WIth any major logical update of this size, there are always corner cases that need to be adjusted, but so far the feedback is that the update is a significant improvement over the legacy LNAV model. Once it completes testing we will roll it out to you via a micro update. The timeline for that is a bit fuzzy, but i'll keep you posted!

Okay- that is all for tonight... we hope you are all enjoying your end of summer and remaining healthy!

Robert S. Randazzo fetch?filedataid=324&sigpic=1
PMDG Simulations
http://www.pmdg.com

737 will be a day one purchase. 

Edited by Waldo Pepper

1 hour ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Just a heads up,  DC-6 Version 2.0.37 is live in the updater.     12mb's.

737 will be a day one purchase. 

I had all the PMDG 737s in P3D, and a couple of years I got burnt out following the magenta line and programing the FMC. Having to much fun actually flying the DC6, so I think I will pass on this one. Besides, MSFS at 36000 feet starts to look like any other sim. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

On 8/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, devgrp said:

Dont know if you've tried the HC Alpha yoke, but imo its a game changer. Definitely not springy like the saitek. Now you can actually feel the weight of the plane especially on take off when you pull back and trim so that the back pressure isnt too much

I don't think you read my post - I wouldn't own a Saitek (or any of the other el cheapo plastic junk) on a bet.

I was just trying to give full disclosure on my opinion of my Yoko+ yoke, which I DO own, and stand by my "game changer" opinion. 

Actually, I also own a HC Alpha yoke, and yes, it too feels "springy".  Not only that, but not nearly enough elevator travel.  I tried it a day or two and put it away, never to sim with it again.  That's another yoke I would never recommend - maybe slightly better than the CH level products, but not by much.  I'll probably toss it in the trash one day.

ALL of these yokes that use either bungee elastics or metal springs for return to center will feel somewhat "springy", but the Yoko+ is the best of the lot, short of a full FFB Brunner CLS-E.  I've owned two of those to date, a story for another day.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Wow, I have bought cars that didn't cost that much. 😊

Meh, it's only money.  I've also owned two Brunner FFB Yokes.  That adds up pretty quick.

3 hours ago, elcaro said:

I don't think you read my post - I wouldn't own a Saitek (or any of the other el cheapo plastic junk) on a bet.

I was just trying to give full disclosure on my opinion of my Yoko+ yoke, which I DO own, and stand by my "game changer" opinion. 

Actually, I also own a HC Alpha yoke, and yes, it too feels "springy".  Not only that, but not nearly enough elevator travel.  I tried it a day or two and put it away, never to sim with it again.  That's another yoke I would never recommend - maybe slightly better than the CH level products, but not by much.  I'll probably toss it in the trash one day.

ALL of these yokes that use either bungee elastics or metal springs for return to center will feel somewhat "springy", but the Yoko+ is the best of the lot, short of a full FFB Brunner CLS-E.  I've owned two of those to date, a story for another day.

People in R/Hotas swear by Nyogel.  It's a dampening grease.    https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/search/?q=nyogel&restrict_sr=1

I looked at the Yoko and also the Honeycomb, but ended up with a Fulcrum as it had 8" elevator travel and 180 degree aileron movement (the elevator on the Honeycomb is far too short for my liking and the Yoko only gives 90 degrees aileron) .  The Honeycomb also duplicated switchgear I already have in other panels.

In reality all three seemed good options but I am quite happy with my Fulcrum,