Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpw8679

PMDG DC6

25 minutes ago, elcaro said:

I could never get used to flying sim aircraft that I knew had yokes IRL using a joystick - just killed any semblance of immersion for me.

I fully agree that all the plastic-fantastic el cheapo yokes out there, and I've tried them all over the years - CH, Thrustmaster, Logitech...yada, yada - I learned to hate those too.  None of them come even close to being acceptable, with their slop, dragginess, and general poor contruction.

But my Virtual-Fly Yoko+ yoke is a game-changer.  I admit that axis travel is still a bit more "springy" than I'd like, unlike a yoke in a real aircraft.  But all movement is butter-smooth through the extent of both axes, and with its Hall Effect Sensors, it's quite good.  Mine's mounted on the Playseat Air Force I use for simming - all I have on my desk is my keyboard and 3 28" monitors with the sim spread across them.

Wow, I have bought cars that didn't cost that much. 😊

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Hey guys, I dont own the '6' but was just curious if anyone here has recreated the WWII 'hump' flights from China? or the Berlin Airlift stuff, just curious.

Thanks

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

57 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Hey guys, I dont own the '6' but was just curious if anyone here has recreated the WWII 'hump' flights from China? or the Berlin Airlift stuff, just curious.

Thanks

ohhh....those would be cool to recreate somehow.  I know "someone" painted a few USAF birds that could do the Berlin airlift. 😏  They were actually C54s that did the Airlift as the DC-6 came after it was over.   These would be pretty close representatives though. 🙂 

CAXc8h.jpg

sqriwl.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

On 8/26/2021 at 6:49 PM, mpw8679 said:

I like to simulate current day airliners.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have all the PMDG stuff for p3d/fsx except the DC6. But then awhile back I got the A2A Constellation on a lark and... Hey, these old propliners are pretty fun!  That made it easy to pull the trigger on the DC6 day 1 for MSFS.  Overall I prefer the Connie; I think it's a little better done, but that's not to say the PMDG product isn't stellar. It is!  Kind of the difference between Lexus and Acura. Both great products, and it's gonna come down to personal preference, and since the Connie isn't even available for MSFS, that makes the decision a lot easier. 😉

I have no regrets buying the DC6, and would do it again. It's definitely a much higher level of simulation than anything else currently available in MSFS, and I'll almost certainly still be flying it even after PMDG, Leonardo, and the other high-level devs get all their jets into MSFS.

I've been reading on the PMDG forums and apparently there is an FPS issue with SU5 cutting people's performance in half?! I think I'll wait until that gets ironed out. Whatever anyone might say, I like 45-60 fps as the panning around the cockpit is much smoother than at 30fps.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wow, I have bought cars that didn't cost that much. 😊

True however Flight Sim gear lasts a lot longer then a cheap second hand car and you spend a lot more time on it then you would driving that car for most people.

8 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Thanks

Berlin airlift was in my plans but i couldn’t find the information from which airport the planes took off, if someone can help here 🙂

18 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

It might be. It's probably best to assign the left- and  middle lever to the left and right engines  and use the third lever for Prop. Mixture hardly needs to be changed in flight so you can use the virtual one.

I didn’t map the mixtures but i did map the carb heaters. I don’t understand why the afe leaves them in the « freezing zone » when looking on the tablet, if i give a tad of heat and they become green ?

1 hour ago, webstef68 said:

Berlin airlift was in my plans but i couldn’t find the information from which airport the planes took off, if someone can help here 🙂

Rhein-Main, Wiesbaden, Fassberg, and Celle

See for more infos :  https://amcmuseum.org/history/operation-vittles-berlin-airlift/

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

11 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Hey guys, I dont own the '6' but was just curious if anyone here has recreated the WWII 'hump' flights from China? 

I did flights from Eastern Assam to Diqing and Kunming but not yet with the 6.

A good weather briefing is useful as the Himalayas could have an overcast, specially with monsoon clouds, and then you don’t see much and the landing in Diqing becomes problematic.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, toby23 said:

I've been reading on the PMDG forums and apparently there is an FPS issue with SU5 cutting people's performance in half?! I think I'll wait until that gets ironed out. Whatever anyone might say, I like 45-60 fps as the panning around the cockpit is much smoother than at 30fps.

Depending on setup, there has been some weird stuff happening with everything after SU5. I can only speak for myself. The PMDG DC-6 is probably the best 3PD aircraft you can buy right now. I know there are a lot of different options and some are quite good. Even the freeware guys are close to outshining the commercial developers (looking at you Working Title, FBW). But I really have never bought a bad airplane from PMDG, and I’ve been forking over my card to them since Fly! 2k. 

You won’t be upset with it. Even if you’re a jet tube-liner guy, you said you wanted study level. As of right now, with MSFS, this is the closest you’ll get for the time being. 

9 hours ago, toby23 said:

No, that is not the case. I have around 45 fps in the cockpit.

Intitially, during testing, PMDG had much better results, but in the final release of SU5 this was not implemented.

I still have te same fps in the DC6 as in any other plane.

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

10 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

True however Flight Sim gear lasts a lot longer then a cheap second hand car and you spend a lot more time on it then you would driving that car for most people.

My guess is that my Thrustmaster T16000M will last just as long.😉

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, robcap said:

No, that is not the case. I have around 45 fps in the cockpit.

Intitially, during testing, PMDG had much better results, but in the final release of SU5 this was not implemented.

I still have te same fps in the DC6 as in any other plane.

According to PMDG, the FPS were cut way down in SU5 compared to what the pre release showed. Most are getting a bit above 30 FPS after SU5. There is supposed to be a fix they are working on which will boost FPS way up. My FPS are much lower with the DC6 than the other payware aircraft I have. I still can lock on 30 FPS which is fine. Out of the cockpit I get around 60 FPS. 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

ohhh....those would be cool to recreate somehow.  I know "someone" painted a few USAF birds that could do the Berlin airlift. 😏  They were actually C54s that did the Airlift as the DC-6 came after it was over.   These would be pretty close representatives though. 🙂 

Yeah, the hump flights were all variants of the DC3 or it's immediate predecessors as well.

The DC6 is too post war really.

There was actually at least one DC6 involved in the evacuation in South Vietnam:

https://library.utdallas.edu/specialcollections/hac/cataam/Leeker/history/Vietnam3.pdf (bottom of page 4) 

“A C-46 was equipped to carry 51 people, but a pilot came out of Pleiku carrying 142 fully armed combat troops […]. The C47s, which usually carried a maximum of 30, took on as many as 80 people. Bird Air flew a DC-6 on an evacuation flight and reported 340 people on it.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.