Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Big WT G1000 NXi Update

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Understand, but can you not lean by ear..?  You do not lose the engine in the sim, if you are off by a bit.. 🙂

Yes, yes I could. Or by fuel flow bar most likely.... I don't know I have been enjoying my DA40. I find it a good way to take in the scenery, and I would love to own one in real life... But I would also love a Bo!

3 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

Yes, yes I could. Or by fuel flow bar most likely.... I don't know I have been enjoying my DA40. I find it a good way to take in the scenery, and I would love to own one in real life... But I would also love a Bo!

The F33 Bonanza was my go-to plane in FSX, and the Rob Young Turbo Bonanza is my go-to plane in MSFS... Wonderful to fly! 🙂

• Like 1

Bert

25 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

...without the engine page to do proper leaning and get a fuel flow...

😉 😄

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The F33 Bonanza was my go-to plane in FSX, and the Rob Young Turbo Bonanza is my go-to plane in MSFS... Wonderful to fly! 🙂

OK. Sold! I will ditch the G58 in favor of the Turbo Bonanza for my next six flights.  Have not flown the Bonanza in a while and the Turbo is likely equivalent in speed. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

OK. Sold! I will ditch the G58 in favor of the Turbo Bonanza for my next six flights.  Have not flown the Bonanza in a while and the Turbo is likely equivalent in speed. 

Be aware that the Rob Young Bonanza interferes with animations on other aircraft when enabled.. the fix is simple and listed on the forum..

If in doubt, send me a PM.

Bert

3 hours ago, Greazer said:

With this update for ILS it will automatically set the frequency and change CDI to Nav1/2 after APR is pressed?  How to achieve this?  

When you load an ILS or LDA approach via the PROC menu, the frequency should be automatically loaded into the active NAV2 slot - you should see this happen as soon as you load the approach. If you don't see this happen it means the approach frequency was not listed correctly in the nav data record, but we haven't seen that yet with the latest default nav data. You can easily check if the frequency will load - if there's a frequency listed in the Select Approach window, then it will load that frequency - if one isn't listed, that's your indication that you'll need to manually switch to LOC mode when it's time.

If that has happened, then two things can happen...

If you don't press APPR, when the FAF is active waypoint and you're in GPS, and the correct frequency is in either the active NAV1 or NAV2 slot and you're within capture range (so more or less on track with the final approach course) the G1000 will swap your HSI to the nav radio with the ILS frequency loaded in it. This will arm and then activate LOC mode, but will not arm GS mode.

If you do press APPR, then LOC and GS will annunciate as armed on the FMA and when within the criteria listed above, the HSI will swap as outlined above and when that happens GS will also remain armed and then activate when it reaches activation criteria.

If you change the HSI yourself during the approach, the auto switch will cancel and will not occur again until an approach is again loaded - a lot of people have been having problems because of this (real) behavior - if you are nervous about auto switching not working and switch manually, then switch back, it will not auto switch because you've 'taken over' and it won't override your selection.

Note that If the auto tune did not work because of a nav data problem, then auto switch also will not happen.

Edited by cwburnett
  • Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Be aware that the Rob Young Bonanza interferes with animations on other aircraft when enabled.. the fix is simple and listed on the forum..

If in doubt, send me a PM.

I believe I already got that from you.  Thank you.  Was a very nice 2.0 hour flight today in Robt's Turbo.  

Hey. After this new NXi update has anyone else had to do a Direct to the first waypoint in the flight plan for NAV mode to engage the flight plan?  That was the only way it would do so for me today in my first flight since yesterday's update.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Hey. After this new NXi update has anyone else had to do a Direct to the first waypoint in the flight plan for NAV mode to engage the flight plan?

No, but you should now start in HDG mode and set the heading so that you intercept the magenta line for NAV capture.

NAV will give you a white GPS readout until capture, when it turns green.

This is real world behavior, and now implemented.

The DTO simply redraws the magenta line so you are on it..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, but you should now start in HDG mode and set the heading so that you intercept the magenta line for NAV capture.

NAV will give you a white GPS readout until capture, when it turns green.

This is real world behavior, and now implemented.

The DTO simply redraws the magenta line so you are on it..

So use HDG to intercept?  OK. But then does the NXi automatically shift to NAV mode on intercept?  What if that is not what you wish, or not what you are instructed to do?  i.e. how does in differentiate?  Are you saying to wait for the line to change to green then switch to NAV?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

2 minutes ago, fppilot said:

So use HDG to intercept?  OK. But then does the NXi automatically shift to NAV mode on intercept?  What if that is not what you wish, or not what you are instructed to do?  i.e. how does in differentiate?  Are you saying to wait for the line to change to green then switch to NAV?

Start in HDG mode, and set an intercept heading. Then push NAV and you should get a white GPS readout.

When NAV captures, it switches to a green GPS and HDG mode is switched off.

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Start in HDG mode, and set an intercept heading. Then push NAV and you should get a white GPS readout.

When NAV captures, it switches to a green GPS and HDG mode is switched off.

I have another flight tomorrow and will try that.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi Working Title Team,

Any chance of doing a 'how to' video on the G1000 NXi like Matt did with Filbert on the WT CJ4?  That was a really helpful video and opened up the CJ4 to me as one of my favorites to fly.  Would love to see a similar walkthrough on the G1000.

Chris

Mmm I am not able to see the traffic displayed, even if I can see it visually. Is there any trick, besides activating the option on the screen?

Forgive my ignorance, as I have no real world experience with the unit.  Can some explain what is meant by:

• GPS, LOC, and VOR modes now ARM! Be aware that you will need to be on an intercept course and within capture distance of the desired flight path before those modes will become active.

I’ve noticed that while shooting an ILS approach, after the CDI is auto switched, the nxi automatically attempts to capture the LOC and GS without me pressing the APR button. Pressing the APR button on either the unit itself or on my honeycomb bravo, has no effect and the nxi just stays in NAV mode…but does correctly capture both the LOC and GS.

1 hour ago, FakeWayne said:

Can some explain what is meant by:

• GPS, LOC, and VOR modes now ARM!

The earlier autopilot would turn to the flight plan course when NAV was selected and intercept the magenta flightplan track.  The real world unit requires the pilot to turn the airplane to an intercept heading before NAV capture.  That is what is called Arming the NAV mode.

This is separate from ILS CDI autoswitching which is also new in this release.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert