Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

nVidia 471.96 and DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG resolved

@MarkW, I suspect that without the registry fix you would have had one by now. If you're feeling brave remove the TdrDelay fix. 😁

@IanHarrison, hard to say without more evidence. No further instances of it in a 2 hour flight up to Poland.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With TdrLevel=0 now set I'm wondering if that prevented a DXGI problem.

Ray,

Perhaps all we can really say is that the TdrLevel=0 is potentially allowing recovery from the DXGI problem and it appears the underlying problem still exists? So, not so much a "fix" as a workaround?

Jesse

Edited by JesC

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

13 minutes ago, JesC said:

Ray,

Perhaps all we can really say is that the TdrLevel=0 is potentially allowing recovery from the DXGI problem and it appears the underlying problem still exists? So, not so much a "fix" as a workaround?

Jesse

Does a puncture repair fix a tyre or is it a workaround until you buy a new one?

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

29 minutes ago, JesC said:

Ray,

Jesse

Jesse, I suspect the problem will remain unresolved and Registry entries will be the solution for many. These Tdr features are there for good reason. It’s been suggested I uninstall and reinstall P3Dv5 again but given I get no other problems what guarantee is there all that work will resolve the problem? None.

it seems to affect users of complex 3rd party aircraft so LM will never be able to fix it with their simplistic aircraft. And between Microsoft, Nvidia and LM if you raise the issue with one they’ll just point the finger at the other two. Except you won’t hear from LM as we’re not entitled to support.

In over 12 flights now I’ve not had the problem in any bar one instance when I paused the sim. So as far as I’m concerned this is a fix and in all probability, a permanent one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:
2 hours ago, JesC said:

Jesse, I suspect the problem will remain unresolved...

Please don't misunderstand my post. I don't intend to be critical of what you have found through a considerable effort. And, I certainly am appreciative of your willingness to so freely share your findings.

My point is simply that a true fix is going have to come from LM/Microsoft/Nvidia. And, I say this because my understanding is, like yours, that the TDRLevel=0 setting is really only intended for use in testing and troubleshooting. It obviously is a good workaround for now. But that does not mean LM et al don't need to do more work on this.

Sincerely, thanks for your work and the information you share on this and many, many other topics. You have always been very helpful.

Jesse

Edited by JesC
  • Like 2

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, JesC said:

Please don't misunderstand my post. I don't intend to be critical of what you have found through a considerable effort. And, I certainly am appreciative of your willingness to so freely share your findings.

My point is simply that a true fix is going have to come from LM/Microsoft/Nvidia. And, I say this because my understanding is, like yours, that the TDRLevel=0 setting is really only intended for use in testing and troubleshooting. It obviously is a good workaround for now. But that does not mean LM et al don't need to do more work on this.

Sincerely, thanks for your work and the information you share on this and many, many other topics. You have always been very helpful.

Jesse

No offence taken Jesse. Who knows who will come up with a solution? This problem has been going on for ages and you wonder if things are getting too complex.

The setting was successful on my second 2 hour flight up to Moscow. Filthy weather on approach and fps were in the high 20s with the GPU hitting 95% from FL200 down to the ground. But the GPU coped. 👍

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, JesC said:

Methinks MSFS going DX12 will be the stimulus that quickly provides us with a solution. My belief is that the likely ‘culprits’ are Nvidia’s drivers and/or Microsoft’s operating system. What’s the betting that a fix will quietly sneak into our experience via a driver/software update with no acknowledgement of ownership.  Shame on them but, it has to be said, far from being untypical these days.

Mike

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The setting was successful on my second 2 hour flight up to Moscow.

TdrDelay=0 or TdrLevel=0 or both? Is TdrDelay=0 still in place?

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

13 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

TdrDelay=0 or TdrLevel=0 or both? Is TdrDelay=0 still in place?

Mike

Only TdrLevel=0. TdrDelay has been removed.

I’ll test for a paused flight tomorrow. That was the one scenario that TdrDelay had no effect with.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 9/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, kevinfirth said:

Have you tried reseating the GPU and cleaning the contacts? I recall @SteveW recommending that after a technical explanation that I don't remember and probably went right over my head! 😜

The post referred to was related to unexpected shutdowns, rather than GPU errors. That particular problem was solved by reseating the GPU and power cables.

On 9/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nope. Seems a long shot and not one I’ve seen with a DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG search on google. Why would it start the day after P3Dv5 was installed if it was a hardware issue? Huge coincidence.

I’ve never cleaned the contacts on any PC in 30 years.

When PC cards or power connectors are pushed on, or reseated, that cleans the contacts. There's usually no need to manually clean the contacts but if the contacts on a card have been handled, perhaps fingerprints left, these can in time create a poor contact and cause problems.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

When PC cards or power connectors are pushed on, or reseated, that cleans the contacts. There's usually no need to manually clean the contacts but if the contacts on a card have been handled, perhaps fingerprints left, these can in time create a poor contact and cause problems.

Steve, I’ve had the case opened once in three years to check for dust etc. There was a minimal amount. I’ve never touched the graphics card.

Your suggestion about removing and reseating to clean contacts is valid and I’ve done it with my hi-fi loudspeaker cables. But not computer components.

Oxidisation seems very low risk especially when contacts appear to have gold-plated connections. Not 24-carat I imagine. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

My belief is that the likely ‘culprits’ are Nvidia’s drivers and/or Microsoft’s operating system. What’s the betting that a fix will quietly sneak into our experience via a driver/software update with no acknowledgement of ownership.  Shame on them but, it has to be said, far from being untypical these days.

Mike

Mike,

I am using an AMD card (6900) with AMD drivers and I can't say my experience is any different than yours. I'm getting those DXGI hung error just as frequently, if not more.

Its most likely to do with the software as no other application is yet to trigger a similar error, at least not for me  - though I hear it's not unique to p3d.

I can predict the risk factors ( PBR, heavy or old scenery and so on) although its definitely not something I can reproduce  with any consistency.

23 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

I'm getting those DXGI hung error just as frequently, if not more.

Have you tried the Registry hack?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No Ray, no registry hacks or tweaks.

I try to avoid those as this *may* open a can of worms that's difficult to track down later. Besides, if this was really the silver bullet for the hangs, it would have probably been a common knowledge by now I reckon.

22 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

. Besides, if this was really the silver bullet for the hangs, it would have probably been a common knowledge by now I reckon.

It will change from experimental to common knowledge only when more people try out and validate this works for them too!

I was having a hardware total lock up problem with the new test PC I got, and there was no solution that I could find as "common knowledge", until I find the solution myself which involves the same Graphics TDR related settings.

From time to time, my Win10 system would just halt with a black screen with no other recourse than powering off. It is very frustrating and you never know what damage to your files will result out of this [...] When you’re using a HDD and you enable sleep mode, it can take more than 2 sec. to wake up and during that time, at least on my test system...

More details here: PSA: Solution to HDD and NVidia causing Win10 System Halt with Black Screen

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)