Sign in to follow this  
BadKarmaPT

A question regarding Windows 10 clean reinstall

I'm about to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on my C : drive to solve some issues I'm having.

My question is, since my libraries (Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos) are on D : drive, are they safe from the reinstall process?

This is probably a silly question but I want to be sure I'm not losing any files on other drives other than C :.

Thank you!

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

I always unplug all my other drives,only made that mistake once.....

• Like 2

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I'd get an external drive and back up everything before rebuilding your system.  Your libraries on your d drive are currently linked to the system on the c drive so they may be affected during the rebuild.

• Like 2

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

WTH, Jim Driscoll, and James M. Driskell - consecutive comments on the same thread - what are the chances.

I'm going out to buy lottery tickets!

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Haw, haw!  The only question is who doesn't know how to spell his own name! 🐵

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Another alternative is to change the location of each of the folders (Documents, Pictures etc) back to the C Drive  BUT do NOT take the option you are given to move the files. In this way Windows does not see your D drive as holding the data.  Do your clean install and afterwards move the folders back to the D drive.  I have not found an easy way to change the location - such as a powershell script - so each folder has to be changed manually. This is a bit of a fag but better a bit of work than lose your data.

• Like 1

Regards

Trevor

10 hours ago, GB014934 said:

Another alternative is to change the location of each of the folders (Documents, Pictures etc) back to the C Drive  BUT do NOT take the option you are given to move the files. In this way Windows does not see your D drive as holding the data.  Do your clean install and afterwards move the folders back to the D drive.  I have not found an easy way to change the location - such as a powershell script - so each folder has to be changed manually. This is a bit of a fag but better a bit of work than lose your data.

When I installed Windows 10 I changed the path to those folders to drive D :.

Maybe it would be enough to revert that change? 

I guess all I need to know is the path to those folders on a "default" Windows 10 install.

Something like (c :\windows\libraries\) maybe?

Edited by BadKarmaPT

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

The path for documents (as an example) is C:\Users\<username>\Documents. Ditto for Music, Pictures, etc.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

hqdefault.jpg

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

here a link

used  this  before  with no issues in losing  any  of  your  data  or  games  etc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg