Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Inconsistent FPS Fluctuation - High End New Rig - Any tips?

2 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

That's good to know. I have seen quite a few people claim to get 50 to 60fps on a similar rig all the time so it had me worried something was maybe not right especially since SU5 was supposed to give an fps boost. I thought that boost would give more fps with my new setup than what I am getting on or near the ground especially when compared to my old rig which did a good job for what it was.

Try flying at 30,000 feet over the alps, what frames do you get there?

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

I'm also seeing big variation in FPS, mostly depending on the scenery and aircraft. It still seems mostly smooth though, thanks to G-Sync. 

But as an example, Orbx San Jose and Orbx Van Nuys airports are a stuttery mess for me. Orbx Santa Barbara not so much. 

Weather doesn't seem to have a big impact for me. 

At a relatively complex airport (not payware) I'll get 45-55 on the ground, and 65-85 in the air with clear skies at 30,000 feet. At Orbx Van Nuys It varies between 20-40 on the ground, depending on where I look.

*with the TBM930 / Improvement mod / G3000 mod

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Cap your FPS at 30 (vsync ON) and change your Render Scale from 100 to 80. Be reasonable about setting every single option to Ultra. But the main setting for performance by far is the Render Scaling. I can't see any degradation in visual quality until the Render Scaling is below 70 -- and I use a 75" 4K TV as a monitor and I sit extremely close to it for immersion.

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

37 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I don't own 3D Mark unfortunately. I see it's value so might consider buying it. 

You dont need to buy it, just install the demo, it's enough 🙂

Just download it in Steam.

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

Also you could run 3D Mark Timespy and post your result and we could check it. 

Okay, I downloaded 3D Mark Timespy and got the followimg score:

Graphics Score: 17078

CPU Score: 8496

How does that compare to your score and specs?

Did you turn on the scenery precache (or whatever it's called) that was added with the last update? Makes a big difference in the stutters when looking around.

• Like 1

James

So, OP is asking if his new machine is ok, if the FPS he is seeing are ok - and all answers say "limit to 30 FPS". "change your resolution".

I quote: "I suppose this post is to alay my concerns something is wrong with my setup. Any feedback would be much appreciated. "

Answer: Temps are fine, config is fine, FPS seem to be in line with others - run a benchmark to check overall system performance.

And then go ahead, cap your frames or do whatever the experts say 😉

2 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Okay, I downloaded 3D Mark Timespy and got the followimg score:

Graphics Score: 17078

CPU Score: 8496

How does that compare to your score and specs?

If you click "compare online" you will get a comparison for your specs with other people with your setup.

Here is my Timespy run: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/22524674

Edited by swiesma

Here are results for your spec, 10700KF and 3080:

https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2.153298168.1183063516.1632845758-1042172928.1627132754#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=2613&gpuId=1338&gpuCount=0&deviceType=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

But be aware: The highscores are heavily modified setups, often with LN2 cooling and stuff 😉 If you score an average score it's ok!

Your CPU score seems a bit low. GPU score seems ok, but could be optimizied with Afterburner.

Edited by swiesma

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Ah... here we go again.

Hint: Limit to 10 FPS, it's even more stable and the human eye can't detect a difference especially in flightsims. It's like buying a Ferrari, going around Nurburging, in first gear, and saying: "Looking, a steady, rock stable 40 km/h!"

Edit: Btw: Your strange "voting" - there is a saying in Germany: "Traue niemals einer Statisitik die du nicht selbst gefälscht hast" - never trust a statistic you din't manipulate yourself. 

Oh and Edit2: Op is asking if his performance numbers are ok, and you feed him your fairytale of 30 FPS.

Really?  "...feed him your fairytale?"  You have no cause to be obnoxious and confrontational here.  Dial it back a couple notches.

I think many would agree that a steady 30 fps is more visually pleasing than widely variable frame rates that produce stutters.  So limiting to 30 fps to achieve smoothness is one possible solution, especially if you don't have a variable-refresh rate monitor.  It's sort of like driving that notional Ferrari through a series of synchronized traffic lights at the 55 mph speed limit and hitting a green light at every intersection, rather than flooring it at each light and then having to stop and accelerate again at each successive light. 

• Like 6

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, w6kd said:

Really?  "...feed him your fairytale?"  You have no cause to be obnoxious and confrontational here.  Dial it back a couple notches.

I think many would agree that a steady 30 fps is more visually pleasing than widely variable frame rates that produce stutters.  So limiting to 30 fps to achieve smoothness is one possible solution, especially if you don't have a variable-refresh rate monitor.  It's sort of like driving that notional Ferrari through a series of synchronized traffic lights at the 55 mph speed limit and hitting a green light at every intersection, rather than flooring it at each light and then having to stop and accelerate again at each successive light. 

So - OP is asking if his overall performance of his new machine is ok - and then the first answer is "limit to 30 FPS". And after several threads about this stuff, it is dumped into this thread again. But if that's what the mods want to see - I am fine with it.

@steve310002 If you need more help with tuning your machine, just PM me. I am out.

• Like 1

Limiting to 30fps is not the solution at all. FPS are lower in the ground than in flight. That's working as intended. Pre-caching terrain to Ultra is the solution to smooth out FPS dips. Lowering ground traffic and AI traffic resolve the rest of the stutter. 

• Like 3

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, swiesma said:

So - OP is asking if his overall performance of his new machine is ok - and then the first answer is "limit to 30 FPS". And after several threads about this stuff, it is dumped into this thread again. But if that's what the mods want to see - I am fine with it.

@steve310002 If you need more help with tuning your machine, just PM me. I am out.

The mods want to see a reasoned discussion without belittling snarky commentary.  Believe it or not, there are legit opinions and approaches that may not coincide with yours. 

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have a new rig similar to yours with the 11 series processor with a 3080 and what you're getting is about right in 4k. it will fluctuate depending on where you are. Render scaling is your biggest hit I run mine at 130 and I averaged 35 frames . don't worry about it just fly

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)
  • Like 3

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

9 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I have a new rig similar to yours with the 11 series processor with a 3080 and what you're getting is about right in 4k. it will fluctuate depending on where you are. Render scaling is your biggest hit I run mine at 130 and I averaged 35 frames . don't worry about it just fly

You run the sim in 4K and set render scaling to 130? Are you using an 8K monitor or something?

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.