Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Payware Showing up on Flightsim.to

9 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Who are Flightsim.to? Where are they located? What do we know about them? Are  they legit?

Well if you have been flying in MSFS and haven't heard of them yet you must have been hiding under a rock. Currently it's the go-to site for freeware addons for MSFS. The interface is modern and that's probably one of the things i can enjoy, especially when making a comparison with the "usual" file hosting sites.

• Like 7

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

The interface is modern... [in] comparison with the "usual" file hosting sites.

👀 Shots fired! 🤣

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 5

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

41 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Who are Flightsim.to? Where are they located? What do we know about them? Are  they legit?

It is a young site which has built itself in a year as the reference library for MSFS freeware. They got them all. There is no reason to think that they are not legit even if the domiciliation in Tonga is unusual.  It is well organized and the downloads are reasonably fast. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

19 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

It is a young site which has built itself in a year as the reference library for MSFS freeware. They got them all. There is no reason to think that they are not legit even if the domiciliation in Tonga is unusual.  It is well organized and the downloads are reasonably fast. 

It's just the domain name that is registered in Tonga, as it has the popular ".to" top level domain extension. (They couldn't get Flightsim dot com, as that already exists).

Their servers may or may not be (most likely not) located in Tonga. They use Cloudflare for their CDN (content delivery network).

And yes, it is without doubt the best site for freeware addons (and more) out there. They do accept donations to help pay the bills, and have started hosting some payware.

More info on their "about" page: https://flightsim.to/about

...jim

Edited by JimBrown
  • Like 3

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Did a little more digging. Their website is delivered via Cloudflare. They appear to have two server locations to deliver files, one in Germany and one in Canada.

Of course, this is all beside the point. The point is that they are a fantastic resource for the MSFS simming community. 😉

...jim

• Like 4

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

29 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

t's just the domain name that is registered in Tonga,

Nobody said they were Tongans, an honorable nationality if any by the way, but some  of us may not familiar enough with the subtleties of the Tongan Common Law (of British origin) which rules their operations if they registered there, I suppose 🤣

For the record, one of the owners has an Eurowings (Germany) avatar and another a Swissair avatar.

A great and deserved success in any case ! 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, JimBrown said:

They appear to have two server locations to deliver files, one in Germany...

Which probably explains why sometimes I end up on the German version of a page when I click on a link someone's posted.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Nope, it's when someone who's computer language is set to German posts a link, you get the German language version of the site they were looking at. Flightsim.to is actually available in about 15 languages

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

22 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

The interface is modern and that's probably one of the things i can enjoy, especially when making a comparison with the "usual" file hosting sites.

Exactly so! Wont name them 😆 but there a bunch of them where the UI takes you back to 1994 lol. Even the forums of some of them are from back in the day. Yes I know they do the job but a fresh new UI doesn't hurt and might attract a new crowd!

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, JimBrown said:

It's just the domain name that is registered in Tonga, as it has the popular ".to" top level domain extension. (They couldn't get Flightsim dot com, as that already exists).

Their servers may or may not be (most likely not) located in Tonga. They use Cloudflare for their CDN (content delivery network).

And yes, it is without doubt the best site for freeware addons (and more) out there. They do accept donations to help pay the bills, and have started hosting some payware.

More info on their "about" page: https://flightsim.to/about

...jim

It’s good to know that cannibalism is a thing of the past in Tonga, as who knows how a download dispute would be resolved…

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Flightsim.to is without a doubt the best file hosting site I've ever used, full-stop. 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

On 10/4/2021 at 8:08 PM, Dominique_K said:

Nobody said they were Tongans, an honorable nationality if any by the way,

Great rugby players! Quite spectacular, and nothing can beat a Tonga - Samoa match .... The sound is sooo exotic ....

A.

Edited by ADamiani
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, liamp51 said:

Flightsim.to is without a doubt the best file hosting site I've ever used, full-stop. 

Okay, there seem to be a lot of products on the site. How do we know which ones are of good quality. (I know someone is going to say "but there are free..."). I think a lot of simmers are interested in high quality aircraft and airports and whether they are free or costly don't want to spend a lot of time if the product does not have better than average features, in fact would prefer to pay a good price if it is worth it.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

41 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Okay, there seem to be a lot of products on the site. How do we know which ones are of good quality. (I know someone is going to say "but there are free..."). I think a lot of simmers are interested in high quality aircraft and airports and whether they are free or costly don't want to spend a lot of time if the product does not have better than average features, in fact would prefer to pay a good price if it is worth it.

I guess just take a look at the reviews. There's also a Trending section that has some of the most downloaded stuff in it. That's usually a good start. 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult